Cell Phone Died

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboman

Reaction score
This seems like a good place to ask. Everyone here is tech savvy. My cell phone died over the weekend. I had to reactivate one from circa 2005.:eek: Boy, does it feel clunky. My contract with Sprint is up next month and I will be leaving them. The iPhone is nice, but I've heard mixed reviews on AT&T. Also, thinking about the LG Dare for Verizon. Any suggestion?

I have a Samsung Blackjack with AT&T service. My job provides me with it... It is NOT good for surfing the net, but overall it's a good phone.

If I were going to buy a phone for myself, I'd get an iPhone, regardless of the issues all of my friends have had.

It really depends on what you want out of a phone... If you don't care about surfing the web with it, there are many other choices....

I am leaning towards AT&T and the iPhone. However, I've heard it can't do basic cell phone functions such as picture mail. I use my phone to take pics of my kids sports and school events and then send them to friends and family. Can the iPhone do this?:confused:

I'm partial to my Motorola Q moto as its Microsoft based. I can sync with Outlook and get on line in a whim. Verizon has been the best I have had. I have had them all. Only place I lost a call was in The valley in Topeka Kansas where even the sheep where scared.

If you don't travel international, your probably better off with Verizon. I'm att, and on my some remote sites (Looooost Hills, CA) I've been left out in the cold. That said, and I had to replace my Treo 650 with a 680, newer is Not always better!

I've only heard about problems with the iPhone. What's more, I don't support a half-baked product. It's pretty bleedin' obvious it has planned obsolesence built in. If you don't need all the bells and whistles, go for something small and easy to carry such as the Motorola V9.

Couldn't live without my iPhone! Best piece of technology I've ever owned....

I don't make use of all the features, and rarely surf the net with it, however the email is a lifeline for me, as are a few other features. Call quality has been no problem and it's even handy to have some MP3's on it for emergency purposes.

Thanks everyone for the input!! :) The more the better.

My phone that died was the Moto V9. Now I'm using a phone form 2004. I thought it was 2005 but it's actually a year older.:eek::rolleyes::eek:

I do like to surf and check sport scores with my phone.

What do you guys think of the LG Dare for Verizon?

In a month Blackberry will be bringing out the “Storm”. This will be the first blackberry touch screen phone. This will be only available through Verizon wireless. I have signed up to get one as soon as it comes out. The early reviews have been very good.

In a month Blackberry will be bringing out the “Storm”. This will be the first blackberry touch screen phone. This will be only available through Verizon wireless. I have signed up to get one as soon as it comes out. The early reviews have been very good.

It just so happens my contract with Sprint will be up in a month.:) Coincidence?

I've not heard of the "Storm." Will have to look into that.

AT&T is awful, but the iPhone makes it worth it. Or, get an unlocked iPhone and use it with T-Mobile. Emailing photos with an iPhone is no problem at all, the iPhone just doesn't support MMS, which is something used exclusively to send stuff between phones.

Last edited:
The more I read about the 'Storm" the more I'm liking it. This could be the one. I've not heard many positive things about At&T. Also, I like to send picture mail to phones. Not sure if the iPhone can do that.

You can send pics from the iPhone to email, but I don't believe to other phones.
It depends on what you want in a phone. For me, the tactile experience of the iPhone is 2nd to none. It just flows - The way it feels in your hand, the way you scroll, the ipod, phone, email, surfing. The new App store lets you download apps right to your phone, many free, most a couple of bucks.
On the down side, no copy paste, no web videos (can do Youtube vids), the keyboard takes getting used to, and it's a little buggy. In my area ATT works well, but may not in your area.
I had a Palm Treo 650 before the iPhone, and some basic functions it did better. But for the coolness factor there is no comparison.

I went into the ATT store and picked one up (they have them live and connected) and played with it for about 1 hr. I emailed, called people, texted, put things in the calendar, etc. By the time I was finished I knew I'd get one.

Sending pics to to another phone and receiving them on my phone is something I want. With that said, I hear ya on the iPhones' cool factor. My buddy has the iTouch, which he has hooked up to his wireless home network. I love playing with that thing.:cool:

I'm leaning towards the upcoming "Storm" which Cherian turned me onto. From what I've been able to read, it looks like a great phone. Since it's not for a month and my current contract doesn't expire for a month I have some time to check every thing out.

Well I have had my new Blackberry Storm for 5 days now and so far so good. It is a very good looking device with some very cool features. Maybe not as many application choices as the iPhone but overall a very good looking and functioning device. It has a very nice 3.2 Mpix camera for use in a pinch. The clicking screen takes a bit of getting used to but once I did it is great. My only gripe is no WiFi.

Attachments

• Blackberry_2_430.jpg
    Blackberry_2_430.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 93
Cherian,

How much was the Storm? I have the world edition now...

It starts out at $249.00. But I got a $100.00 discount for my 2 year upgrade and a $50.00 rebate so only $100.00. The storm is a world phone both CDMA and GSM. It even works in Japan!!!

Back