CD Sales

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Rogers

Reaction score
Just read that Future Shop (dont know if they are strictly Canadian or U.S. also) is no longer selling CD. They dont sell vinyl either. Any similar experience south of the border? D.R.

Just read that Future Shop (dont know if they are strictly Canadian or U.S. also) is no longer selling CD. They dont sell vinyl either. Any similar experience south of the border? D.R.

Interesting... I haven't been to FS for a while, so I should check it out.

I believe Futureshop is Canadian only. But they're owned by Best Buy.

Hi Duane,

If they are not selling CD's or vinyl, it begs the question as to what software they are selling?

Perhaps 8 track and / or cassettes? Or maybe reel to reel tapes.

With all due respect, given their position on software, why should we (ML Club members) care?

GG

Hi Duane,

If they are not selling CD's or vinyl, it begs the question as to what software they are selling?

Perhaps 8 track and / or cassettes? Or maybe reel to reel tapes.

With all due respect, given their position on software, why should we (ML Club members) care?

GG

Gordon Future Shop is a bigbox electronics/computer store but they always had a substantial music section. It's not that I care about Future Shop but part of my musical hobby has always been the trip to a music store to browse through the record/cd section to look for bargains' new material etc. Where I live in the last several years there have been several good stores close which makes it hard to find a good spot to go through the bins. I am not into downloading(yet) so I guess I will just have to get used to browsing on-line. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it for me that's all D.R.

Tower Records was a major CD/SACD/DVD-A/XRCD/LP music media store chain in some of the big cities across the US went out of business last year. It's a shame since it was the best place I knew of to buy music with a huge selection.

They blamed digital downloads as the cause of their demise but there were always customers in the store when i went in there.

There are still a few good used CD/LP stores around this town and I always manage to a few gems for my collection whenever I stop in one of those. They don't value SACDs so when I come across those they're priced as low as Redbooks. However, they no longer put them in their own section but file them with the Redbooks making the search like the ol' "...needle in a haystack".

Last edited:
"browsing on line" is going to fill that void(and then some)-that's my guess. I used to swing by Tower all the time to score imports,new releases,etc. I now find that with the web(Amazon,Ebay,etc) especially with the huge number of sellers based in Japan or Europe-well,I'm buying more and enjoying the 'hunt' more than ever. Why schlep to the city when you can use the mouse in ya house? Besides,there's something vaguely addictive about getting those tidy,golden brown envelopes in the mailbox-I haven't started sniffing the package upon opening like we do when coming across a vintage LP(at least I hope it's "we"),but it could happen...:D

Sure, you can't beat the convenience of buying online but I enjoyed browsing in a store too and being able to have the CD in hand that afternoon.

Downloading music is overrated and mainly due to DRM. I've been burned by Itunes once too many with DRM music that I can't use anywhere other than my stinking iPod. I'll now only download non DRM music and only if it's available in a format that is at least Redbook CD resolution.

CD Universe is a great on line store. Most things from the popular to the obtuse / obscure are available. All genres of music. Great selection, prices, and service. Highly recommended.

GG

Around here, Best Buy has dramatically cut back on their CD and DVD inventory. They dropped hi-def audio awhile back. The local Borders bookstore was a good alternative, although not cheap, but they've also dropped about half of their inventory, replacing it with stationary and cards. I'm willing to pay more to a local merchant for the ability to browse and buy-now, but they're driving me to online merchants. The downside to online is that you really can't happen-upon new music - you pretty much go after some specific CD/DVD. iTunes is a fairly reasonable alternative for finding new music, but I've still never bought a single track from them, and I've been a Mac fan and developer since the original... They really need to have lossless, non-DRM tracks before I'll buy there. If they did, I'd buy a ton of stuff, particularly of one/two-hit wonders that I like.

Latest posts

Back