CD Player Recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
I am currently considering splitting my system into two - a dedicated two channel and AV system.

I have started looking at CD players and I have shortlisted two - the Krell Evolution 505 and the Audio Research CD7. What are people's opinions of these? Are there any others at this level that I should add to my shortlist? Has anyone compared these two players?

I will be using it with my Krell 700cx, Summits, Descent and preamp (still to purchase, but will probably be out of the Krell Evolution 222 or the Audio Research Ref 3). All my cabling is Transparent Audio (Ultra / Reference level).

Cheers
Marc.

Marck,
Both of these players are very good. I have not heard the AR CD7 but if it is like their other equipment, which I am sure it is, it will also be a winner. The question is what type of sound are you looking for in a CD player. Again, not having heard the AR but knowing that it may have more of a "tube" like sound or maybe some might say more musical in presentation compared to the Krell. I have the Krell SACD, which I am in the process of selling, is more of an accurate, dry some say or precise in sound compared to others. It has been compared in sound to the Esoteric. These are small but subtle differences and depending on all the equipment, cabling and the room is where these types of comparisons make a difference on whether one likes a piece of equipment or not.

At this price point it comes down to all of these variable and on whether you like the sound.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jeff:cool:

Jeff is right on the mark, as usual. At this price level, all of the players are great. But each will have subtle differences in presentation that will make them better or worse in a particular system or for a person's personal taste. I think the two you mentioned are probably at opposite ends on a spectrum so you should definitely try to audition if you can.

At this level, you could also consider Wadia, Esoteric, Ayre, and Cary, among many others, I'm sure. The ideal scenario would be if you got to audition a couple of them in your own system to find what works best for you. Good luck with it.

Thank you for your replies. I am in-touch with my dealer and I intend to demo both of these units. I do think it will be more a personal preference than which one is better.
Having heard these two I will then (hopefully) be able to home in on the type of player I wish to go for - either the more tube warm sounding or the more detailed exact sound stage.

Esoteric X-03SE. I just ordered one for my self and it is supposed to be friggin' amazing. I heard it at CES and it was quite good. I think it will be quite an improvement over my Musical Fidelity KW25 Super System.

I also heard Conrad Johnson was coming out with a new player as well. It is supposed very very good.

Esoteric X-03SE. I just ordered one for my self and it is supposed to be friggin' amazing. I heard it at CES and it was quite good. I think it will be quite an improvement over my Musical Fidelity KW25 Super System.

I also heard Conrad Johnson was coming out with a new player as well. It is supposed very very good.

Diamonds,
Yes they are and it is targeted for the summer. Right now I understand it will sell for $8500.00 and of course have a tube output. Other than that I do not have any more insider information on the details.

A bit too rich for my blood unless I win the lotto which I have yet to play or I marry a woman with lots of money who loves audio. I think my chances of winning the lotto is better. :eek:

Jeff:cool:

I am currently considering splitting my system into two - a dedicated two channel and AV system.

I have started looking at CD players and I have shortlisted two - the Krell Evolution 505 and the Audio Research CD7. What are people's opinions of these? Are there any others at this level that I should add to my shortlist? Has anyone compared these two players?

I will be using it with my Krell 700cx, Summits, Descent and preamp (still to purchase, but will probably be out of the Krell Evolution 222 or the Audio Research Ref 3). All my cabling is Transparent Audio (Ultra / Reference level).

Cheers
Marc.

Marc,

You already have a superb system. At that price point, I don't think there is a better, but just different. I own the Ayre C5Xe, and I love it. I have also heard the Audio Research CD7 in a system, and the whole system was quite excellent. The others mentioned were great also. I would just try as many different ones in your home as you can, hopefully so you can run a/b tests.

Sounds like a fun little project.

CD vs USB Dac

I can't believe I am actually suggesting this. One of Chicagolands premier audio stores is now playing their digital recordings on a Wavelength USB Dac. Not in one of the entry level or smaller rooms, but the "main room" He is running through two Mac Minis. I was very skeptical but I have to admit it sounded pretty great. I also must remind everyone I am a huge analog/vinyl guy, but this took my attention. For anyone in the Morton Grove area you know the store. Quintessence Audio. For this store to use this as a front end is a major deal. The owner is also a huge vinyl guy, I purchased my Clearaudio table there.
Don't throw me out guys, just curious if anyone has heard a set-up like this and what they may have thought about it. I have to admit at this point my next digital purchase (far off I hope) may be this if it keeps moving in the right direction.

Doug - out

Last edited:
I can't believe I am actually suggesting this. One of Chicagolands premier audio stores is now playing their digital recordings on a Wavelength USB Dac. Not in one of the entry level or smaller rooms, but the "main room" He is running through two Mac Minis. I was very skeptical but I have to admit it sounded pretty great. I also must remind everyone I am a huge analog/vinyl guy, but this took my attention. For anyone in the Morton Grove area you know the store. Quintessence Audio. For this store to use this as a front end is a major deal. The owner is also a huge vinyl guy also. I purchased my Clearaudio table there.
Don't throw me out guys, just curious if anyone has heard a set-up like this and what they may have thought about it. I have to admit at this point my next digital purchase (far off I hope) may be this if it keeps moving in the right direction.

Doug - out

Funny you mention it, this is where I heard the CD 7.

I will still take a modded player, either modded from used or new from what I consider the top two or three major modders, and save many thousands of dollars over the "over-priced" stock models.

It is certainly going to be a fun project - now with a few more units to demo :)

I will report back my findings.

Btw, I will also be demoing the preamps too - so quite a few combinations to listen too.

Great stuff

Funny you mention it, this is where I heard the CD 7.

Don't get me wrong Mic has some incredible CD players he is using for the front end as well. My point in bringing up the Dac was really just to see if anyone has thought in that direction yet. If you think about it, loading all your CDs in a hard drive and being able to manage them in a million different ways sound great. So long as the audio quality that we are all so fond of is also there. When I heard this demo I was pretty shocked. Of course everything in that store is pretty incredible, and always has a sound anyone would be proud to use as a reference IMO. I'm just hoping to hold on to my cd player long enough to see where the "high - end" goes. I will always try to purchase the best sound, not the best gimmick.

Doug - out

Don't get me wrong Mic has some incredible CD players he is using for the front end as well. My point in bringing up the Dac was really just to see if anyone has thought in that direction yet. If you think about it, loading all your CDs in a hard drive and being able to manage them in a million different ways sound great. So long as the audio quality that we are all so fond of is also there. When I heard this demo I was pretty shocked. Of course everything in that store is pretty incredible, and always has a sound anyone would be proud to use as a reference IMO. I'm just hoping to hold on to my cd player long enough to see where the "high - end" goes. I will always try to purchase the best sound, not the best gimmick.

Doug - out

Doug, we've been all over that topic in several threads, the msot recent one is this one: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=5865

The bottom line: some us do not spin any physical media anymore, except DVD-A or SACD (which can't yet really be ripped). All my 1,300+ CD are from a server, upsampled to 88.2.
I'll never use a transport or CD player again.

Usb

John,

Thanks so much for verifying that I'm not totally nuts. I will check the thread, and hopefully find some direction for myself at some future time. It could be another cd player, everyone knows there are are great many units out there to choose from. This kind of feedback that one can gleen on this site is truly a value. I appreciate all the wisdom shared:bowdown:

Thanks again,
Doug - out

CD / Preamp Update

Just to give you an update. I demo’d the CD7 and the Krell 505 Cd players today. I also had the ARC LS26 to hear.

First impressions with my HTS was that the Krell was better in some ways – more analytical and detailed than the ARC. The ARC was more warm and natural sounding. Then we progressed to using the ARC preamp. Things then changed considerably. The CD7 was the star performer – with a dedicated preamp the CD replay was so much better in all ways – both players. However the CD7 was so much more natural, involving, realistic and emotional. The Krell felt rather cold in comparison. In my room the ARC equipment was much better suited – good bass definition, warm and involving.

I am now going to hear the Ref 3 preamp – I should imagine that I will be going for the CD7 / Ref 3 combo :) Apparently the
Ref3 does everything the LS26 does and a whole heap more – this will be scheduled for a couple of weeks time. Very much looking forward to it 

I will report back my findings...

Might as well get that checkbook out, marck. I innocently brought home a demo Ref 3 "just to check it out" and ended up taking out a loan to buy the damn thing because once heard I couldn't bear to let it go. In fact I refused to return the demo until they delivered my new one. Boy was THAT a quick delivery!

Good call, Tony. I was thinking the same thing. Better not listen to it unless you have the cash available to buy it. It's that good.

I think you are right. The LS26 was very good indeed, but I have been 'warned' about the Ref 3 - once you hear it there is no going back. Looks like i am on that slippery path :)

I am going to have the second part of the demo in 2 weeks time so will report back...

Marc.

Interesting... I compared summits to maggie 20.1s - and the summits had mac gear / while the maggies had arc gear (the pre- I believe was the ref 3). I thought the 20.1s sounded better - someone had replied it was the arc stuff.... in retrospect... maybe he was right....

Cheers
Marc.
I swear by Wadia. I have been using Wadia 861 for the last 5 years w/o any problem. I found the sound very warm perfectly matched with Cary SLP-05 Preamp, Plinius SA102 AMP and Summits.

Back