cary audio SLI-80 and Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikroski

Reaction score
Does anyone has experience between this tube amp and Vista. Does this amp has enough power to drive Vista?

My room is 9' x 13'. I listen to vocal, jazz (both classic and contemporary jazz), classical music.

Thanks for any comment

While I don't have experience with that particular amp I am a 'tube' guy I can say it wouldn't be my first choice. With that being said, given your small room it could very well provide you (and YOUR ears) with what you would be happy with. Listening levels aside classical music is without question the most demanding and given the fact that the bass driver of the Vista is not 'powered from within' I myself would prefer an amp with more 'balls' and headroom.

mikroski, I tried my Theos with a Consonance M100+ tube integrated amplifier and I was surprised that this combination worked quite well together. Absolute spl's were lacking and there was a slight loss in sparkle, but overall in smaller rooms it worked. Care must be taken though, some lower cost tube amps won't work very well

I'm negotiating the purchase of a pair of mono tube power amplifiers driven by a custom passive preamp to drive my Theos. It's a triode design with 4 x 6550 tubes per channel, with massive output transformers worth $1000 each! - all for a head-banging 60 watts into 8 ohms and 90 watts into 4 ohms! The main consideration is with these power amps is that they will drive a short circuit. So low impedances won't worry them. You get what you pay for with tubes. Don't be afraid to experiment, but it's a good idea to try the amplifiers first before you buy.

Edwin.

I have a SLI-80 and have used it with great success with Aeon I's. I had to supplement the bass as it was weak and flabby.
I bi-amped with a McIntosh MC 7270 and it was grand.

I wish I could say the same for the Vantages I have now.
They don't have the magical mids and highs that the Aeons had.
I think the Vantages are too much for my room.
I too have a smaller listening room. I have tried all the usual variables as far as placement and toe in with little success.
The bass is right on with the Vantages but that is ll I can say.
You all will probably see them for sale here in the near future.

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your inputs.

Just have a chance to demo SLI-80 in my room. Mid and high is very good, I love it. Bass is ok for my small room. Please listen video record from my room here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcOzWTdaivw&feature=plcp

I record video using my phone so this is just an idea, the sound recorded is not so good. But I very like how it sound in my room :music:

Compare SLi-80 and 120S
SLi-80 surprice me for its 40W quality.
But 20W extra (in triode mode) of 120S make me in heaven.

I can said that with my room and my equipment. 60W of 120S is better than HK 990 (150W/300W, 8/4 ohm).
More bass punch, more bass extend, more harmonics in high

0067.jpg

Back