Cary 805C?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Does anyone here run this amp?

And if so, what do you think?

Even if you don't own it, what's the consensus on this amp? I know the newer 805AE is out, but that's considerably more expensive - is it a worthy monetary expenditure?

Joey,
An acquaintance of mine has Cary 805C monoblocks powering Gallo Ref 3s and a pair of Harbeths (the model escapes me right now) because he can’t decide which speakers to keep. I had the opportunity to listen to his system about two months ago. Their sound was warm in his system, no sign of harshness at all. These were the first tube amps I’ve listened too and was extremely impressed. The 805Cs are monster amps. It’s very easy to misjudge their size from the on-line pictures I’ve seen. I wish I could give you a better explanation of their sound in relation to MLs, but I was in an unfamiliar room with an unfamiliar set up.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks, my friend... good to hear. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one... there's on about 45 minutes away from me in Indiana and I talked to guy on the phone today - very nice guy equipped with tons of experience beyond my years and tons of equipment. I have a decent deal with him set up, I will give him final word about the amp by tomorrow - I just need to think about it and mull it over.

I can't keep both amps (Plinius and 805C) if I do decide to get the Cary. Unlike Dave, I don't have that kind of disposable income :p.

More opinions?

More opinions?

You already have a great amp. What do you hope to gain from switching to the Cary? I would think your money would be better spent on a world-class source (can you say: esoteric, wadia, emm labs? I knew you could). Or better yet, a speaker upgrade (I know those CLX's are whispering to you in your sleep.) :devil:

You already have a great amp. What do you hope to gain from switching to the Cary? I would think your money would be better spent on a world-class source (can you say: esoteric, wadia, emm labs?
Joey, I agree with Rich unless you are absolutely sure the Tube Amps are more to your liking than your Plinius. Hopefully you are buying for the sound you are looking for and you have already auditioned them with similar equipment and not just to buy a certain type of amp.

For source, modified players will give you the performance of the top level players for a fraction of the cost. You can get a brand new Modwright for $3k with the "full-monty" of mods to it with warranty. There are many reviews out there on these players since it is usually hard to hear one unless you know someone that owns one. You can always contact Modwright or Vacuum State and ask if there are owners near you who would provide a demonstration.

Here is one of many quotes from people using modified players:

"....and a hyper-modified Sony CD from ten years ago that Ric Schultz of EVS tweaked out and thought, at the time, was one of the best sounding units he ever produced. That Sony cost $225 new, and the mod was $600. The Sony just SMOKED my Esoteric X-01 in a side-by-side, so I dumped the Esoteric (it was a little bright and somewhat thin) about a year ago and have gone with the cheapo Sony since."

I think "smoked" was a little overboard, especially since they then qualified there statement later on. But this person was comparing a player they spent $1k for compared to a player over $10k. Do the math and what else could you use that extra money on in your setup????

Remember these are peoples opinions on these modified players.

Don't get caught up in the "testosterone level syndrome" to state you paid "X" amount of dollars on a player, when you would rather get performance to brag about. Modified players are the way to go IMO, but everyone gets to spend their money the way they like.

Joey,
I came close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Cary 805C tube mono amps at one point and a pair of 805AE at another point. Obviuosly, it didn't happen but I would still like to hear that combination with Summits. I would expect that the bass is going to be more on the lean side with either of these amps but the mid-range may be sweeter.

If you're interested in trying a powerful pair of tube SET mono amps then consider going all out with the Cary CAD 211AE or the gorgeous pair of Art Audio Adagio SET Mono Amps. I'd own a pair myself but the $25,000 price tag just sort of gets in the way.

http://artaudio.com/adagioindex.html

To be more sure, I think if I push through with this, I'm taking the Plinny over to his house and doing an A/B. The Cary 805C has a tough job infront of it, but if it does sound better, I see no reason not to get it.

The Plinny will fetch pretty close to it on audiogon anyway, it's a financial wash.

The Plinny will fetch pretty close to it on audiogon anyway, it's a financial wash.

Ha! You've obviously never owned a tube amp. The cost doesn't end with the purchase of the amp, my friend. :devil:

(Just refer to your recent experience with a certain rectifier tube)

Ha! You've obviously never owned a tube amp. The cost doesn't end with the purchase of the amp, my friend. :devil:

(Just refer to your recent experience with a certain rectifier tube)

You are right... that damn rectifier tube cost me a good 2 dinners out in the city!!

I guess I'm crossing my fingers so that I wouldn't need to tube roll.... :eek::eek:.

You are right... that damn rectifier tube cost me a good 2 dinners out in the city!!

I guess I'm crossing my fingers so that I wouldn't need to tube roll.... :eek::eek:.

Ha!!! Good luck with that...

Yeah . . . Right . . . I see that happening . . .

Even if you didn't tube roll, remember that tubes in a power amp have to be changed a lot more often than tubes in a preamp. Over the years, this can cost you a bit.

I'm not knocking tube amps. I just want you to be realistic and figure in the cost of changing the tubes a couple of times in the first few years into the cost of purchasing the amp. Of course, how often you have to change them really depends on how much you have your system on.

Yeah . . . Right . . . I see that happening . . .

Even if you didn't tube roll, remember that tubes in a power amp have to be changed a lot more often than tubes in a preamp. Over the years, this can cost you a bit.

I'm not knocking tube amps. I just want you to be realistic and figure in the cost of changing the tubes a couple of times in the first few years into the cost of purchasing the amp. Of course, how often you have to change them really depends on how much you have your system on.

I hear ya, I asked the guy about it and also Gerald at Cary. Chinese 845 tubes cost about $300 a pair and NOS cost about $600 a pair. Tubes should* last 5000 hours.... so that's more than enough I think.

I guess what I can't do is have the amp ON consistently as I do my Plinius. I'd probably have to spring for a cheap integrated or receiver type amp just so I can have the speakers on those for usual stuff (i.e. TV, xbox) in an effort to "save the tube".

Joey.......here's my "gutt" feeling...... Your initial listening will yield a sonic bliss in the Mids that you will say you can't live without, combined with the visual beauty of the Cary MonoBlocks, will drive you even further into a lustfull state of being.

Will the Carys do everything (as well) throughout the entire freq spectrum that the Plinny does ? and if not, will the area in which they obviously succeed be enough to satisfy and keep the "Honeymoon" going ?

I know for me the "Honeymoon" with my Rogues is very much alive, and I am by no means trying to compare my M-150's with the Carys, so hopefully when you A/B your Plinny and the Carys you will be critical and keep emotions in check !

Joey.......here's my "gutt" feeling...... Your initial listening will yield a sonic bliss in the Mids that you will say you can't live without, combined with the visual beauty of the Cary MonoBlocks, will drive you even further into a lustfull state of being.

Will the Carys do everything (as well) throughout the entire freq spectrum that the Plinny does ? and if not, will the area in which they obviously succeed be enough to satisfy and keep the "Honeymoon" going ?

I know for me the "Honeymoon" with my Rogues is very much alive, and I am by no means trying to compare my M-150's with the Carys, so hopefully when you A/B your Plinny and the Carys you will be critical and keep emotions in check !

Definitely, Pops.... I'm all about keeping the long term vision alive. The 805C has a tall order infront of it (should I choose to pursue it), it has to improve on imaging, 3D-ness, and overall musicality. IF it can do this and do this consistently over a myriad of tracks that I reference to, then the Plinny will go.

Am I hoping it beats the Plinny? I won't lie, yes. Yes, I hope it takes it up a notch. Yes, I hope it brings an even greater solidity and palpability to the images. Yes, I hope it pushes the envelope. And YES, I want a better listening experience (don't we all?).

Now, I won't let my hopes for the 805C to cloud my judgement and "hear" things that really aren't there. Afterall, the purpose of this is to get closer to the ideal - not to upgrade (if that's what we call it) pointlessly.

Off to work....

Joey

Wait for the move

Joey,

FWIW, why don't you wait until you move into your new place and get your current system tuned in. After you've got a handle on the sound, then try some swapping.

My sense is that your system will sound substantially different to the point that you may prefer your Plinny over the Cary.

Bottom line is that your system should make gains in size and transparency in the new environment, and this will allow you to make a better informed decision.

GG

Joey,

FWIW, why don't you wait until you move into your new place and get your current system tuned in. After you've got a handle on the sound, then try some swapping.

My sense is that your system will sound substantially different to the point that you may prefer your Plinny over the Cary.

Bottom line is that your system should make gains in size and transparency in the new environment, and this will allow you to make a better informed decision.

GG

GG,

I hear ya also. I've thought about this possibility and I may have to keep both amps in my possession until I move into the new place (2 weeks and counting!)...

Follow this thread... Bought some Vantages where the subject of 805C and ML Vantages were discussed at length. And another one, Cary 805C for Summits. Glad to see you're using your economic stimulus check from Uncle Sam :rocker:

Spike

Spike,

Thanks! I especially found the first thread you linked to be very enjoyable/helpful. I think I will spring for the 805C (atleast head over down to Indiana).

I guess what I can't do is have the amp ON consistently as I do my Plinius. I'd probably have to spring for a cheap integrated or receiver type amp just so I can have the speakers on those for usual stuff (i.e. TV, xbox) in an effort to "save the tube".

One thing to consider regarding the cost of running tube gear is that you don't, nor should you leave it on 24/7. Tube gear has a very short warm up time and are fully warmed up in about 15-30 max. Unlike SS amps, there is no advantage to leaving tube gear on continuously. If you do you're just burning needless hours on the tubes. Perhaps tube amps are a little easier on the electric bill than SS amps.

I have both a pair of SS mono amps and a tube amp as well as SS preamp and tube preamp. I plan to keep both types because I like to change up the combination and therefore the sound characteristics every 2-3 months or so.

Last edited:
Back