Cartridge dilema

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Karat is at .3mv and is supposed to work with the phono enhancer engaged without any distortion, but you can disengage it if you don't like the sound......
What is a "phono enhancer"? I have never heard of it before. Anyone have any idea?

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14372

Read this and get to page 2 where DV reliability is called into question.

Wow!! How did you dig this up? I have looked all over the net and could not find this. Thank you for the link. I wanted to re-post this guys comments since he seems to experiencing the same issue as me, but he said it better than me....

"Okay, that end-of-side distortion I mentioned earlier is definitely there and it's quite bad - and it's not just at the end of sides, just much worse at the end of sides... Basically no matter how I tweak it, I can't get it to track well at all. Tried different alignments (the HFN one and the Rega one that came with my arm produce quite different cart positions) but it seems to have little effect on the tracking.

I've also tried a wide range of tracking force settings to no avail. Changes the balance of the sound from bright, light, and toppy to dull, flat and ploddy, and everything in between. I have no trouble finding a balance that sounds great - apart from this tracking distortion...

I'm running out of ideas to try! Can anyone suggest anything else?

On the HFN test record it sails thru the first bias test track, but even the second one shows a slight bit of tracking distortion, and even with the bias set correctly it's still there, but in both channels equally! The third track really sets it off a-buzzin' in both channels, and the 4th track is totally out of the question.

I did notice that at present, the lateral resonance test track does show up a pretty pronounced resonance at about 14-15Hz, which is just inside the "safe" range (HFN disc says 8-15Hz is okay).

......the only thing I can think of to try is to bring it in to the dealer's and try it in one of his decks and see if it's really the cart at fault. I'll see if I can do that this weekend, or possibly the next.

In the meantime I'm incredibly frustrated as part of the reason I bought this cart was to banish the niggles and problems with the old cart! Not to mention that I've plumped up 600 quid of my hard earned on this thing (no small amount for me - I'm only 25!) Plus, the overall sound quality is fantastic - just what I'm looking for... which makes it heartbreaking when the tracking distortion kicks in and spoils it...

Help...!

Dunc

This is my experience exactly!! Well minus the quid and 25 years old part.:D

It was the first hit on Google, actually!:)

Hm... the 17D2 used to get great reviews. Maybe the D3 version has issues...

What is a "phono enhancer"? I have never heard of it before. Anyone have any idea?

Hello Bernard, according to a review in Hi-Fi+ magazine it is...

"This Dynavector stage has a further
trick up its sleeve. Not content with
offering the traditional gain and resistor
loading the P75 includes a mode called
Phono Enhancer which is a reworking of
a technique invented by Dr. Tominari of
Dynavector Japan. This mode gets
REPRODUCED FROM HI-FI+ ISSUE 30
REPRODUCED FROM HI-FI+ ISSUE 30
rid of the input resistor, found in almost
all other phono-stages, and configures
the P75 to act as a current amplifier. The
result is that the coils of the cartridge see
an effective short circuit as load, the
ideal condition. Within the Phono
Enhancer mode there are three gain
settings but the actual gain level
achieved in this mode is dependent on
the output impedance of the cartridge.
The Phono Enhancer mode is only really
suitable for cartridges with low output
impedance. Unsurprisingly, Dynavector
Japan’s cartridges from the 17D2 upward
have the necessary low impedance."

All I know is it usually sounds better with it engaged although it is somewhat of a preference.

17D3 is a great cartridge... I've used it on probably a dozen tables with no issues. The only table I didn't have terribly good luck with was the Scoutmaster. I suspect it's because Harry doesn't "believe" in Anti-Skate.

Another potential issue with the 17D3 and the Scoutmaster is the light weight of the cartridge, may be causing a mismatch with the arm as well. The other Dynavectors I've used have been a bit heavier.

Do the VPI people have any suggestions for optimum setup with this Cart and your table?

VPI angst aside, back to the problem at hand. Not sure if this will help you, but it happened to me once with groove distortion. If your cartridge is seriously mistracking, there is a chance that it will do some groove damage and even when you have everything right, it will still sound distorted.

Does the problem you are having only happen with a few records, or with everything you play?

Just another thought on the issue...

17D3 is a great cartridge... I've used it on probably a dozen tables with no issues. The only table I didn't have terribly good luck with was the Scoutmaster. I suspect it's because Harry doesn't "believe" in Anti-Skate.

Another potential issue with the 17D3 and the Scoutmaster is the light weight of the cartridge, may be causing a mismatch with the arm as well. The other Dynavectors I've used have been a bit heavier.

Do the VPI people have any suggestions for optimum setup with this Cart and your table?

VPI angst aside, back to the problem at hand. Not sure if this will help you, but it happened to me once with groove distortion. If your cartridge is seriously mistracking, there is a chance that it will do some groove damage and even when you have everything right, it will still sound distorted.

Does the problem you are having only happen with a few records, or with everything you play?

Just another thought on the issue...

Hello Jeff and thanks for chiming in. It is true that some of the records could now be damaged due to the cart not tracking correctly, but it still happens even on new ones as well. So if I get this fixed then I still may need to replace a few records if it did indeed cause groove damage. As for the optimum setup for this cart with VPI, the only contact I have had with them so far about this problem has been through the dealer over the course of a few months. Nothing has been discussed recently though and to be honest, I'm not sure what was said..... so it probably would be wise for me to ask again and start over with any advice they give.

BTW, I don't want anyone to misunderstand me concenring the Karat. I believe it is a fine cart, but there may be a couple of arms out there that it might not work as well with. At least not without a lot of effort. Thanks again Jeff for your help.

Ok, here's an update. My dealer has spoken with Harry(VPI table maker) and he is sending a 3 gram headshell weight and feels very confidently that this will solve the problem. Evidently the newer JMW arms have been recently updated with this extra mass built in for better cartridge compliance. So if this works then Jeff was right about his assesment.:bowdown: It would seem that this has been an issue that needed to be adressed and now their newer arms will reflect this change. So I may not be crazy after all:banana:

Reading that thread I posted, it states in the manual you only have 0.3mm clearance between the cart body and the record?

Unbelievable... does that sound/look right to you? 0.3cm maybe...

Also, the guys in that thread have had definate issues with it. 100% no doubt there.

So possibly a great cart with caveats.

Last edited:
Reading that thread I posted, it states in the manual you only have 0.3mm clearance between the cart body and the record?

Unbelievable... does that sound/look right to you? 0.3cm maybe...

Also, the guys in that thread have had definate issues with it. 100% no doubt there.

So possibly a great cart with caveats.

Yea, that's right. I know I was sure surprised when the needle lowered for the first time and it appeared that the cartride was going to sink into the groove. Here's a picture of it while playing a record.:eek:

Attachments

• Karat 17d3.jpg
    Karat 17d3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 55
This was the vinyl madness I was talking about in that earlier thread...

You love it, it drives you close to madness, you get close, it slips through
your fingers again, but you keep trying. You're close and will get results
but it really is frustrating along the way.

But then once you get it right, all is forgiven again.

It's kind of like owning an Alfa Romeo!

Then again Alphas are cool....:) And the old phrase "no pain, no gain" comes into effect here in abundance sometimes.

You could just get a bit of BluTak and weigh yourself 3 grams. Then stick it to the headshell. A small coin or something plus the 'Tak might do it. Saves the wait...

Don't blame me if your fingers slip or something odd happens, though...:devil: I know I couldn't wait... I'd do it:)!

Very nice shot.. reminds me of a Television album I have - Adventure, I believe.

My grandpa had a saying I'll never forget.

"If it's got tits or a carburator on it, eventually it's gonna cause you trouble".

I think it's safe to add, "or if you're trying to setup a tonearm", to the list.

Setting up a TT well is much like getting your favourite guitar(s) set up well. Only setting up a great guitar well is much harder.

Guitar players know that the only good solution is to do it yourself. You can't translate how you want it done to someone else with any great degree of accuracy - which isn't to say others can't do a good job. But only you know how to do it exactly how you like it.

Then again, I have picked up a few guitars from other players that I have judged as amazingly well set up...

Sometimes, there just aren't any rules.

Back