Can you imagine this in your living room?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I think a larger version of this (sorta like our ML speakers in size) would be just plain NUTS!

Singing Arc

I want it large so it can move air for bass reproduction... sorta like a 6 foot arc in the room.

:music:

Zero mass transducer... kinda like the plasma tweeter on the Acapellas.

That is amazing! Talk about the "sweet" spot. Did you notice how much the sound changed as the camera moved?

Joey -
This has been done before - and commercially! The downside is they generated a large amount of ozone. Might be hazardous to your health!

Joey -
This has been done before - and commercially! The downside is they generated a large amount of ozone. Might be hazardous to your health!

That's true.... but audiophiles are known to take it to the extreme! I say ventilation system. :D

I love the Gradius soundtrack.. I'm sure some of you remember this game from NES days!

gradius.jpg

Joey -

Plus the gas bottles might make the wrong decorating statement in the LR.
There were a pair of plasma tweeter units on audiogon not to long ago.
Fire up some tunes, dude!

That is awesome, just like Gradius. I have an emulator on my xbox so I can play it through the ML system and projector. Little different then the old wood side panel TV as a kid!

That is an ION loudspeaker, and is nothing new.

FYI: Back around the turn of the last century the US government held a loudspeaker contest. The dynamic cone driver, the Ion speaker and the electrostatic using pig membrane. The dynamic cone driver won and got the funding. The pig membrane caught fire, and the ion speaker could kill a person if left in a sealed room. I'm not sure where the horn speaker was in this, but it uses a voice-coil like the dynamic cone, so I guess it went along for the ride to fame.

Nelson Pass: Simple Sounds Better
By Thomas J. Norton • November, 1991
http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1191pass/
Nelson Pass:
[laughs] The "Ion Cloud" loudspeaker was another one of those ideas that had kicked around, and the day came when I decided that there was no reason not to build it. As you can see from the photos on the cover of Stereophile and elsewhere, it looked like a large barbecue grill. It had no moving parts and its construction was a grid of wires. We applied some very high voltages to what were, essentially, the tungsten filaments used in photocopy machines. It was really a push-pull electrostat that used ionized gas instead of a diaphragm. And it worked reasonably well. It took several kilowatts to get any sound out of it, but it was the most physically and sonically transparent loudspeaker I've ever run across. That is to say, you could see right through it, and it sounded like it wasn't there. It was quite remarkable in that regard.

We were feeding it with an Ampex tape deck running into our Threshold Model 4000 power amplifier, then driving the loudspeaker through a step-up transformer. It drew so much power at the display at CES that every time there was a loud passage or a transient, the AC line would drop. The tension arms on the tape deck would go slack, the sound would stop, the power would go back up, and it would start again; then the power would go, and it went into an oscillatory loop which included every element of the chain, including the AC line and the tensioning arms on the tape deck. We had a lot of fun doing that—a good demonstration of how much power it required. Fabulous device, but it put out ozone, and after some extensive exposure to the ozone I found myself lacking oxygen in my bloodstream...It was a year before I could go near a copy machine.
nelson_601.jpg

I guess we need multi-kilowatt amps to drive speakers like the ion or plasma arc....

Back