Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The 840C doesn't decode FLAC files (99% sure). I've never tried it myself and I don't remember seeing anything that would lead me to believe otherwise. I suppose I could try ripping some to a CD but I feel confindent that it will read no disc. I do store all of my music in the FLAC format on my Fireball though and it is what I'm using for the majority of my listening. It decodes the FLAC file and then spits it out digitally to the Cambridge to be converted to analog.

The DAC is a better quality than the cheesy ones built in to my fireball and they upsample to 384k! On top of that, they use one for each channel. The piece offers both RCA and XLR outputs. I'm running the XLR on mine with the AudioQuest Diamondbacks to my preamp. The end result is stunning!!! The noise floor is much lower and the sound stage is wider and more precise. I love this piece.

This is the first experience I've had with an outboard DAC and I'm sure you can get great results from the others you have listed. I just can't compare them for you. Maybe someone else here can help us out with that. I'd like to know how it stacks up too.

OK, I was the guy who started the thread and I'm certainly enjoying what I'm "hearing" about the 840C, but you guys are getting way ahead of me here!

I have a couple questions:

Are you using the 840C as a DAC with another player/transport, or are you using it as your CDP and using it to upsample another piece?

I have an Oppo DV-981 which I use for movies only. I like my old Sony better for music. The Oppo appears too bright for me on CD's. Would I be able to use the 840C and the Oppo together so I can get the great 1080P video upscaling through the Oppo, but use the 840C for the sound?

I have a lot to learn, not the least of is to figure out all of the connection possibilities . . . RCA, XLR, coax, digital, toslinc, RS232, HDMI (versions galore), DVI, yada yada . . . .

I'd say based on the feedback thus far, the 840C would be a good choice for me, since I'd like to stay around $1,500 for a CDP. Seems like the next jumps are to $3,500 to $5,500 and up (Essoteric, EMM, etc..). I'd rather upgrade my power and preamps first. Thoughts?

THANKS!!!!!

JM

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I was the guy who started the thread and I'm certainly enjoying what I'm "hearing" about the 840C, but you guys are getting way ahead of me here!

I have a couple questions:

Are you using the 840C as a DAC with another player/transport, or are you using it as your CDP and using it to upsample another piece?

I have an Oppo DV-981 which I use for movies only. I like my old Sony better for music. The Oppo appears too bright for me on CD's. Would I be able to use the 840C and the Oppo together so I can get the great 1080P video upscaling through the Oppo, but use the 840C for the sound?

I have a lot to learn, not the least of is to figure out all of the connection possibilities . . . RCA, XLR, coax, digital, toslinc, RS232, HDMI (versions galore), DVI, yada yada . . . .

I'd say based on the feedback thus far, the 840C would be a good choice for me, since I'd like to stay around $1,500 for a CDP. Seems like the next jumps are to $3,500 to $5,500 and up (Essoteric, EMM, etc..). I'd rather upgrade my power and preamps first. Thoughts?

THANKS!!!!!

JM

Yes. I do use it to play CD's, but because I am lazy I must have some type of digital storage device for my music. I've converted most of my collection over to a hard drive based system that stores everything in the FLAC format. Searching through the posts here and just googling you can find more info on this lossless audio format that takes up less space than the full CD. My storage system is an Escient Fireball. It rocks :rocker: A lot of folks here talk about the Squeeze Box and seem to like it. From what I can gather it stores the music on your computer and allows you to bridge it to your stereo. It seems like a more affordable option that is quickly growing in popularity. It's probably what I would have gotten if we didn't sell Escient :D

The unit has two digital inputs that you can use for any source that has a digital coax or fiber optic output. Your oppo can hook right up to it. It's only designed for stereo though, so if you have surround sound you'll want to take that digital feed directly to your receiver or preamp.

The connections can be a bit overwhelming at first but we're all here to help you out. I'd say the most confusing one is the HDMI. They may all look the same but each device has a version and there are huge differences from one to the other.

I think you've found a great player and that you'll be as pleased with it as I have been.

No. The 840C doesn't decode FLAC files (99% sure). I've never tried it myself and I don't remember seeing anything that would lead me to believe otherwise. I suppose I could try ripping some to a CD but I feel confindent that it will read no disc. I do store all of my music in the FLAC format on my Fireball though and it is what I'm using for the majority of my listening. It decodes the FLAC file and then spits it out digitally to the Cambridge to be converted to analog.

Sorry, I'm confused. So your Fireball reads the .flac files off your computer harddrive and then translates the digital files into another digital file format...like .wav, I assume? Then sends the .wav files to the 840C for DAC?

I know it would be a lossless to lossless conversion, but I've been conditioned to believe that any extra steps are not a good thing. Any thoughts?

No offense but I'm wondering if a computer sending .flac files directly to a DAC that then converts .flac files to analog would out perform the harddrive > fireball > 840C combo? Anyone with more computer audio skills than me have an idea??? :confused:

If lossless to lossless conversion is no big deal, then I can really see this unit offering something really special. ;)

The fireball takes the CD, ecnodes it in FLAC, and stores it on it's own hard drive. Then when you want to listen to the CD it will decode the FLAC file and output the same signal that you would get it you were to pop the CD into your CD player. You can use the DAC in your source by using the analog connections or you can send it digitally to the receiver (or multi ch preamp) and use the DAC inside that unit. Some people prefer to use a stand alone DAC in order to surpass the quality of the DAC built in to either one of those units. The DAC doesn't encode or decode the FLAC format. It just converts the digital signal to analog. I think that's where the confusion is coming in.

So... in a nutshell. The 840C has a nice DAC built in and unlike most CD players, it allows you to utilize that DAC by itself via the digital inputs on the back. You can run any digital source into it and get a nice, clean, pure analog stereo signal in return.

I hope that helps. I know I'm not the best teacher...

FatJ; So... in a nutshell. The 840C has a nice DAC built in and unlike most CD players said:
FatJ,

Maybe you should consider the teacher position at least part time . . . .that was a very concise explanation of how the 840C DAC inputs work. I now understand it . . . . I hope! So I should be able to connect my Oppo 981HD to the 840C to get the sound like I would get, if I was playing a CD in the 840C. I do like the video upconversion (1080P) of the Oppo unit, but don't care all that much for the sound. This way I can have the best of both worlds, for under $1,7,00!

I'm getting closer and closer to purchasing the 840C!

Thanks everyone.

JM

Then when you want to listen to the CD it will decode the FLAC file and output the same signal that you would get it you were to pop the CD into your CD player.

Hmm, so the Fireball translates the .flac (or MP3, or WMF, or Ogg, etc) into a .wav before outputing to the DAC. Interesting. I suppose if it's a lossless to lossless translation then it should work just fine. I still wonder if you would enjoy superior performance from a DAC that decoded .flac directly. :confused: Academic question I guess.

Anyway, thank you for the clarification. Sounds like a really nice unit. Cheers! :cheers:

Did you get the 840C in the end? What do you think?
I have just bought it and I would like to get your pov.

840c . . . .

Did you get the 840C in the end? What do you think?
I have just bought it and I would like to get your pov.

I did not purchase the 840C, but then again I didn't purchase any replacement CDP!

I instead bought a Sanders 2 channel amp and a Cary SLP-03 pre-amp! I may go with the Sanders mono blocs next. I'm saving the CDP for last.

I will be curoius what your review on this unit will be like. I have only seen one person who didn't like it and that was on another forum. Other than that it usually gets great reviews. "Sounds" like for the price, it's well worth it!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Congrats on the Sanders amp and the Cary preamp. I think that is a great combination. I have the monoblocs and love them with my Summits, but I think the improvement over the esl stereo amplifier is just incremental from what others have said. Better dynamics and transients due to a little more headroom, and perhaps a lower noise floor. With that amp and preamp, you will definitely benefit from an upgraded source now.

Joe,

I agree with Rich, spend your money on the source or acoustic treatments before upgrading to the mono blocks, the difference between the ESL stereo and mono blocks is there but small compared to the difference you would hear in an upgraded source of a room full of acoustic treatments (my last expense made a significant difference),

--burke

Joe,

With that amp and preamp, you will definitely benefit from an upgraded source now.

Rich,

I do agree. It's a toss up right now. It sounds crazy, but it also has to do with the physical set up of the system. I have a Salamander Synergy twin and would like to go to the triple to give me more room for equipment. Putting a mono bloc on either end on the bottom, and a power conditioner in the center would balance things out, plus I'd have shorter speaker cables and power cables . . . eventually. I was thinking (if I could get this past my wife) of putting the pre amp ON TOP in the center, with the CDP ON TOP to the right and my old Rega Planer 3 TT to the left. That would give me room inside for something else (tuner?) and keep the equipment spaced nicely. The tubes get more room to breathe too. Even though the Sanders amp generates virtually NO heat, the cary tubes do give a "warmth" (heat) that I can do without inside the cabinet. I even leave the door open now in the summer.

So my madness is more physical than better sound. However, it's a very expensive (for me) way to get to that end. It probably makes a lot more sense to upgrade the CDP :rolleyes: Roger offered to give me 100% of what I paid for the 2 channel amp if I upgrade. I didn't ask what the time frame on that offer is though. :D

Joe

Thin sound on the left

Joe,

I agree with Rich, spend your money on the source or acoustic treatments before upgrading to the mono blocks, the difference between the ESL stereo and mono blocks is there but small compared to the difference you would hear in an upgraded source of a room full of acoustic treatments (my last expense made a significant difference),

--burke

Burke,

GREAT to hear from you! Seriously . . . . I have on my to do list to give you a call. REALLY. I've got issues I can't figure out. I was going to start a new thread but . . . .

It has to do with what I perceive as a "thinness" of sound on the left side of the sound stage. As you know I had the Summits "fixed". They only replaced one pannel. DA! They made such a big deal about matching panels, and then only replaced one. I have just over 200 hours on the "new" Summits.

I do not think it is the room. Unfortunately, I got the new Sanders amp AND the Cary AND the fixed Summits all at the same time! That is making it difficult to pin point the issue. I'm leaning toward the pre amp as the culprit, but who knows? What I do know is something is NOT right. The soundstage is much fuller to the right side. The emotion is just not there anymore. :( I even swapped out the Summits side to side and the sound remained fuller on the right side. Again, I had Vantages and Summits in the exact same spot and did not have this issue. There are book cases behind me now however . . .

Joe

Back