Buzzing in a Vista speaker--new problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sfscott

Reaction score
All of the sudden, one of my Vistas started having a buzz similar to a ground loop buzz. The problem is not the AC outlet; I unplugged it and then plugged into another outlet on the Panamax.

The buzzing only stops when the speaker cable is unplugged--either at the speaker or at the amplifier.

I have the speaker bi-wired and plugged into a Primare amp.

The speakers are about 6-7 years old and have never had a problem.

Any thoughts on where to go next?

Hola. It looks to me a power amp problem. Turn the amplifier off. Just swap the speaker cables at the amplifier. Left for the right. Turn it on. This is just to find out the problem. If the noise is at the same speakers, then you have a faulty Vista, if the noise changed for the other Vista, them it is an amplifier issue. If there is no connection a the binding speaker posts, and there is no noise, I think the noise is coming from your amp. happy listening!

Is this something that is fixable? Contact Primare?

Yes, to me it looks a bad capacitor. You have to take it to a workshop or contact Primare factory for their advise. The problem seams to be at the power supply for that particular channel. I could be also a bad regulator...still a power supply problem. Happy listening.

The system as wired has been operating flawlessly for several years. Nothing had been changed. The buzz appeared within the last week.

What happens to the buzz when you unplug the interconnect at the amp on that side? (Switch off amp before disconnecting any connections.) My first suspicion is that there's a loose or broken interconnect somewhere upstream.

Last edited:
Believe me. It's the power amp. If you could get another power amp to try it on, then you are sure of it. Happy listening

Buzz stops when I unplug cable at either speaker side or amp side.
Let's try again for a non-ambiguous answer to the following question: If you leave the speaker cables connected, what happens to the buzz when you disconnect the RCA interconnect at the input to the amplifier on the side that has the buzz? (If the buzz goes away, then it is not the amp making the buzz.)

Back