Buying Krell KAV Combo-Thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I am seriously considering purchasing the Krell kav2250 paired with the kav280p...as seen on the website here:

http://www.krellonline.com/krell_series.php?id=51&page=kavstereo

You have to click on the actual item to see the pics/description.

Anyway-I would go used, but I just wanted to hear opinions about this particular gear and most of all, see if anyone thought I could get a bigger bang for the buck going with another Krell combo?? Used of course...I like to save dough!

The combo will be powering Ascent i's. I figure with this combo I would be spending somewhere around 3500-4000 although I was really shopping the 3,000 mark!

Thanks,
Dominick

Dominck,

I have the SACD Standard and not the amp or preamp. The dealer I usually buy my stuff from sells Krell and ML amongst other brands. I am sure if you give him a call they will give you all kinds of info.

Just a thought let me know if you want to call them. I can let them know you are calling.

Jeff:cool:

I haven't much to do with Krell stuff. The only thing I've noted in a number of reviews is that their less expensive gear may have compromises vis a vis their ability to deal with heat when driven hard. Also the legendary ability to drive difficult loads is probably more applicable to Krell's high end stuff rather than their entry level gear. So what I'm saying is that you don't get something for nothing. Don't buy Krell just because. Check competing ampllfiers like maybe Parasound before deciding...

Last edited:
I haven't much to do with Krell stuff. The only thing I've noted in a number of reviews is that their less expensive gear may have compromises vis a vis their ability to deal with heat when driven hard. Also the legendary ability to drive difficult loads is probably more applicable to Krell's high end stuff rather than their entry level gear. So what I'm saying is that you don't get something for nothing. Don't buy Krell just because. Check competing ampllfiers like maybe Parasound before deciding...

Very sensible answer.

I have always liked Krell's higher end stuff, a little less impressed with their lower end stuff. To edwinr's point, there is a reason for the lower cost. Still great gear overall though.

I have the 2250/280p combo driving my summits and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Oh, my only complaint is the remote on the 280p is a piece of crap. But, it does have a working remote. Its just very "lightly" built.

I used a Krell 300iL with Ascents and then Odysseys for a couple of years. Yes it did get pretty hot when driven hard for a while but other than that it did an excellent job with these speakers. KAV2250 280p combo should do better than the 300iL. I'm not too crazy about thier showcase line though.

I'm not knocking Krell's lower end stuff. As long as they are used within the design limitations, there's no reason why even the Showcase components shouldn't sound fantastic with ML's...
But you could say that about any amp where price IS an object.

Last edited:
Back