Burmester is the shizzle!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Just got the 911mk3 power amp today and the 011 preamp to use until the 077 pre gets reprogrammed.

Best sound I've ever heard, period end of story. The Spires sound bigger than the CLX's, so I can't wait to get the CLX's back in the system this weekend.

Pics to follow when I get the room cleaned up again.

Should sound good. The pair cost as much as a small midwest house or some foreclosure here in SoCal.

Best sound I've ever heard, period end of story.
You see a lot of people proclaim the best, ultimate, wowzie, nirvana, etc. but we have no idea what past equipment or experience they have to base these statements on. Considering all of the gear you have had in your setup or passed through your doors for review, it is a great compliment to the Burmester equipment saying it is the "Best Sound" you have heard.

Congrats on the new toys!!!!

Best is a strong statement but then I do consider the source of that statement and this does carry a lot of weight. (figuratively not literally:)) I know you gave up something pretty good to move to the new "toys" and the anxiety must have been running at 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.

If it moved the Spires to a new level one can only imagine how resolving and involving the CLX's will be once moved back in and dialed back in.

Enjoy the new amp and pre. Can't wait to see the review and pics. :D

Jeff:cool:

And, if you've been reading our magazine carefully, I don't throw that word around. My favorite combination for the last four years was the CJ ACT2/Premier 350, which is still fantastic.

The 011 preamplifier has an excellent phono stage built in, so the effective difference between my ACT2/Premier 350 and your favorite 5k phono stage, extra interconnect and power cord comes out to about $38k for the CJ and phono vs. a touch over $50k for the Burmester. Now figure in that I won't need a few sets of primo 6H30s over the next ten years (at a thousand bucks a set) and the actual diff is about $8k.

It definitely reveals that much more sound (and then some) in my book, but I'd still tell anyone to buy the CJ stuff; it performed flawlessly.

But, very curious what their flagship 077 preamp is going to add to the mix!

But, very curious what their flagship 077 preamp is going to add to the mix!

I thought that the 808 Mk V was their flagship? Either way, georgeous stuff. I heard the "Classic " line last year at RMAF and was suitibly impressed.

Attachments

• Burmester808.jpg
    Burmester808.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 739
Wear gloves! Do NOT touch!

The amount of Burmester gear I have seen covered in fingerprints is high.

Seriously, I am really surprised. I have NEVER heard that stuff sound good. Maybe they are just a "flook" superb match for MLs...

Could try plugging them into something else and see if you still feel they are great.

I've always found them puzzling - given the German's reputation for engineering excellence, they should be brilliant. Maybe I've just been unlucky with what I've heard their gear with.

Last edited:
You know Justin, when I got to listen to them last fall I was initially unimpressed. I can't even remember what was playing when my friend Joe and I walked into the room. BUT, there was a cute girl demonstrating the equipment, so we stuck around for a bit. When everyone else cleared out of the room she asked Joe if there was anything he'd like to listen to. He suggested some Pink Floyd of all things, so she slipped "Comfortably Numb" into the player and we sat back for a listen. At first I wasn't overtly impressed, but after a while I began to realize that the gear just doesn't call much attention to itself. A few minutes further in and I was thinking "man, this sounds really, really good". By the end of the song I'd have to say that it was entirely sublime. I was quite hooked, enough that I'd forgotten how cute the girl was...

I'd love to hear some of it on Logans!

Seriously, I am really surprised. I have NEVER heard that stuff sound good. Maybe they are just a "flook" superb match for MLs...

Could try plugging them into something else and see if you still feel they are great.

I've always found them puzzling - given the German's reputation for engineering excellence, they should be brilliant. Maybe I've just been unlucky with what I've heard their gear with.

Have already used them with the Verity Sarastro II's, Magnepans, and of course my Harbeth Monitor 40.1s.

Don't know where you heard it, but I was very impressed with their CES display (my favorite sound at the show this year) and after living with their 082 integrated and 016 CD player for the last few months (review this issue) I'm very smitten with Burmester.

And best of all I don't have to chase tubes anymore! Sorry, but I'm really tired of playing that game now that good tubes have become so expensive.

I've yet to hear anything I like more... Can't wait till the 077 gets here.

And, I just turn it all on with the remote, so no need to get fingerprints on it!

Stunningly gorgeous gear. I wonder how much the aesthetics add to the cost? I've yet to hear any Burmester gear but it is GORGEOUS!

Stunningly gorgeous gear. I wonder how much the aesthetics add to the cost? I've yet to hear any Burmester gear but it is GORGEOUS!

Agreed. From an Industrial Design perspective they are near the top of the heap. I really liked how the front panel of their former top of the line 970 DAC was essentially a flow diagram depending on which functionality you chose.

Attachments

• burm970_b.jpg
    burm970_b.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 869
Best sound I've ever heard, period end of story. The Spires sound bigger than the CLX's, so I can't wait to get the CLX's back in the system this weekend.

/quote]

And I just thought it was bling... Germans do make gorgeous, but expensive stuff - Einstein, T +A, Burmester. Good to hear it functions also!

I don't know whether it's just me or whether it is just "too bling" for British tastes, but to me it looks really tacky. Very "pimp my hi-fi".

Each to their own, I guess!

Actually I thought so when I first saw the gear against white, but when you have it in the rack, it just reflects the room. In subdued light the panel almost matches my black Naim 555.

The folks at Burmester coexist with Naim US and when you see the stuff on a few racks together it looks great. Even the lime green LED's match.

And Burmester will do anything you want for the front panel. If you wanted a plain satin finish front panel, or black anodized that is a no charge option.

The chrome plating is just the stock finish, if you will. It's really grown on me and I like the fact that the machined front panel with chrome plating will never tarnish, dull or wear out. This stuff is made to last two lifetimes. I'm sure my daughter will inherit my Burmester gear.

OK, here's the shizzle, as photographed by me in HK 2008.

This is the exact gear Jeff is talking about - in the real world.

Actually, it doesn't look that "chromey" in this shot - basically showing what Jeff is talking about above.

Attachments

• burmester.jpg
    burmester.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 195
Back