Build me a cheap electrostat HT system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectormovielover

Reaction score
I have no idea where to start guys lol

I dont have a particular budget for components but mostly am geared towards an integra pre amplified with rotel or sunfire for 2200

I have just got into ht on dec 2008 when I bought a panasonic ptax200 projector and a sony ps3 with a 5.1 htib . I realied at that point that audio was more important than video so went on a quest to find a cheap audio improvement

I came across polk rti's and on febuary dropped $ 250 on fxi 3 $300 on rti6 and $175 on a csi3 centre . This $725 upgrade made my htib reach its full potential making me question whats next so I began searching a new avr . On april I bought a $500 onkyo 607 and was blown away and bought a used $190 csi5 centre and added a $450 rti8 for the fronts and thought it just couldn't get better than this

For $1700 Ihad a great sound system but now all I have been doing is looking at martin logan speakers in awe . I just decided to move all my setup to my bdroom and start all over so I dropped $4500 on 4 Theatre seats and $2500 on a epson 8500ub and got a Denon 2500btci for $300 . The costs for HT is spiraling way outa control lol and my wifes acting like 68 instead of 28 with her moaning

My question would be to you guys to build me a 7.1 system for my 22ft by12ft room . I will go for martin logan big dogs down the road but for now I would like somthin cheap as possible

I just read a thread about logan speaker discontinuations and am now terrified to buy used

PS: I just wana say great job to the guy who runs this sight . Upon reading I found out he runs it by himself with no financial aid from martin logan so please send him some cash as I plan to do soon

I realied at that point that audio was more important than video ..............

..................... I dropped $4500 on 4 Theatre seats and $2500 on a epson 8500ub and got a Denon 2500btci for $300 .
I'm confused - you state that you realized that audio is more important than video, yet you then dropped a pile of money on video :confused:

if i had $4500 to spend theater seats would not even have been a consideration at this point! Buy your electronics first and sit on the floor!

You can get the Martin Logan Source SE in black from Amazon for 46% off right now. The Source SE do not come with a base like the Source, but they have real wood veneer which is the only difference between the Source and the Source SE besides the base.

http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-S...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267972973&sr=8-3

The MartinLogan Source sound great. I have a pair and am very happy with them.

Here are a couple of reviews on the Source:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/script...rce%E2%80%9D-hybrid-electrostatic-loudspeaker

http://www.toptenreviews.com/script...-av-speakers/martinlogan-source-187357/review

You can find more reviews online.

That's funny, I started with a pretty high end Polk system before moving to ML, and the difference was quite apparent.

You could get a pair of Sources for the front, a motif or matinee for the center, dynamo or abyss for a sub, and the encore, vignette, or any ATF for the surrounds. That would be pretty solid for about a little as you want to spend for a panel based system. But, you could also look on audiogon.com if you get over your used equipment phobia. I have bought several piecs from that site with no issues, just make sure you purchase for somebody with positive feedback. You could probably get several better used pieces for the price of the new components listed above.

I biggest recommendation would be to spend the money for the front speakers and center channel; then fill in around that. That would be important if you are looking for great home theater performance.

Back