Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2009

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay... anyway, hardcore headphones time. This one is for Rich, who expressed an interest in these...

I had a long chat with the rep - who showed me a video about how they work - which he told me is on the German Sennheiser website.

Hardcore driving source - Nagra CDC, Grace m902 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 at £995. All I can say is they sounded very clear and resolving - but the source was classical, which I virtually never listen to and find it very hard to assess the quality of systems with - just because I never really listen to it!!!

Another case of "I should have brought my own CDs". Still, I won't be buying a pair - not because they aren't good, but just because I don't use cans that much, so I'm OK with my old 590s...

Attachments

• sdc11176.jpg
    sdc11176.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 646
  • sdc11173.jpg
    sdc11173.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
"She comes in colours everywhere, she combs her hair, she's like a rainbow..."

Whole heap of Nordost cables on display. Lars was at the show, doing his thing, so I was told. I didn't spend much time in the demo room, cables not being too high a priority for me at the moment. Anyway, here's some shots of what I think are great cables for MLs - at least I'm very fond of my Red Dawn rev II bi-wired.

So - in increasing order of obscene pricing we have: Blue Heaven, Red Dawn, Baldur, Heimdall, Frey (2,579.99 2X4 metre normally - small discount at the show).

Attachments

• sdc11157.jpg
    sdc11157.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 674
  • sdc11158.jpg
    sdc11158.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 588
  • sdc11159.jpg
    sdc11159.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 564
  • sdc11160.jpg
    sdc11160.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Nice stack of Chord gear, plus a cool looking chrome plated colourful item. I saw no sign of the Indigo DAC talked about in the show guide anywhere, and the room was too busy to ask anyone. Nowt playing via this kit either. Shame.

Photos specially for you, Bernard, cos I know you like this gear...:)

Attachments

• sdc11206.jpg
    sdc11206.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 629
  • sdc11203.jpg
    sdc11203.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,746
Bentley of Cardiff hanging around outside of the show giving in car demos of £5Ks worth of Naim audio kit. Not easy to get into for a listen unfortunately. In fact, not easy to listen to much so far! Things get better, however.

Didn't Tonepub review this setup a while back, or am I dreaming? Nice cars, anyway... and with the Naim gear, nice :music: too.

Attachments

• sdc11208.jpg
    sdc11208.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 582
Wilson Benesch's curious upward firing sub - the Torus - which was playing (more later). Plus Full Circle TT and Act 0.5 tonearm - unplugged, not playing:(

Attachments

• sdc11212.jpg
    sdc11212.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 978
  • sdc11223.jpg
    sdc11223.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,194
Bentley of Cardiff hanging around outside of the show giving in car demos of £5Ks worth of Naim audio kit. Not easy to get into for a listen unfortunately. In fact, not easy to listen to much so far! Things get better, however.

Didn't Tonepub review this setup a while back, or am I dreaming? Nice cars, anyway... and with the Naim gear, nice :music: too.

Great car, and when Rolling Stone writes me a seven figure check for the magazine, the Bentley dealer is my first stop. But the way to go is pre-owned.

Typically these cars come in used about three years old with less than 10k on the odometer with a price tag of about 100 grand. Not chump change, but on par with a fully loaded S-Class or 7 series. And after spending four days with this beauty last summer, there is NO car I'd rather have.

Couple of TT shots - a what I assume is a WB TT with Ply cartridge (does that look fragile, or what?) and a Nanotube One (or ACT 2?) tonearm. Project seem to have copied the use of WB's carbon fibre tomearms...

Can't find this TT on the WB website... so it might be new. Chip in if you know the answer...

Attachments

• sdc11210.jpg
    sdc11210.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 577
  • sdc11209.jpg
    sdc11209.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 798
Last edited:
Entire blured WB system shot - but it gives you an idea of what the setup was, with the new ACT C60 loudspeakers. The stuff in the silver boxes was Audionet gear - VIP G2 DVD player below.

Again, we have another classical music case. So what can I say? Well, it sound well resolved with a pure string tone, I guess. If I played the violin, I could give you a better opinion! I really didn't feel the Torus was getting much exercise with the material being played, however.

I'd like to hear a WB system rock, but every year I go they are in the same room NOT rocking. Oh well... maybe they feel the target market is classical types...

Attachments

• sdc11211.jpg
    sdc11211.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 544
  • sdc11220.jpg
    sdc11220.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 603
Again, we have another classical music case. So what can I say? Well, it sound well resolved with a pure string tone, I guess. If I played the violin, I could give you a better opinion! I really didn't feel the Torus was getting much exercise with the material being played, however.

I'd like to hear a WB system rock, but every year I go they are in the same room NOT rocking. Oh well... maybe they feel the target market is classical types...

Justin, I've heard the Torus in a full WB setup the past few years at RMAF and it is a VERY good sub. I got ot hear it on some Boz Skaggs recordings and it was definitely getting a good workout. It's a terrific (although very expensive) sub!

Thanks for the info, Tim.

Onto Michell. Had a good chat discussing how to upgrade the motor on my TT - apparently I can return the plinth, and they will bore a hole in the chassis to accept the DC motor unit, which is free standing. I can then buy an HR power supply. Total cost about £600. However, I didn't really talk too much about anything else... and there seems to be some covers/plinths available for the SE versions I haven't seen in the flesh before.

Committing the sin of NOT using a Koetsu (if John Michell were still alive I'm not sure he would be happy - but you never know) first up we have an Orbe SE/Benz/Tecnoarm via Sugden amps and ProAcs. Very nice sounding too. I have always liked Sugden amps - they always sound very natural, smooth, unforced and musical. Very underated company. Definately one of my faves.

I think the Sugden styling of this pure class A amp is nice, too. Sometimes they get it wrong, however. Make no mistake - these are ALWAYS very nice sounding amps. And the TTs are pretty good too:) Not that I am biased, of course:D

Attachments

• sdc11298.jpg
    sdc11298.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 618
  • sdc11299.jpg
    sdc11299.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 614
  • sdc11296.jpg
    sdc11296.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
A bit more Michell gear in the shape of 25th Anniversary Gyrodec and Gyro SE... I have to say I much prefer the tinted perspex and bronze/black appearance of my own deck - but you can have that if you want it.

Attachments

• sdc11295.jpg
    sdc11295.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 763
  • sdc11294.jpg
    sdc11294.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 630
Very nice Gamut/Clearaudio setup displayed and demo'd by Jeremy from The Right Note, Bath. Love this gear. Jeremy once let me home demo some Lumley amps - an ST70 and some 120 Watt monos. He's a nice chap. Good luck to him!

What I heard was very highly resolved and very sweet sounding. Classical, but I really liked what I heard here in the short time I was in the room. This was the best replay of classical music I heard all day - but as I have said, I am no judge here!

Jeremy wouldn't play the Clearaudio - not convenient for shows, so he said!

More posts later... some nice shots here... hope you're all enjoying them:)

Attachments

• sdc11344.jpg
    sdc11344.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 462
  • sdc11342.jpg
    sdc11342.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 541
BTW Adam (Amey01): I used Quick Photo Resizer in the end. Why? Because it allows you a target filesize and a horizontal width setting. So you can get very close to optimum for the site. PIXresizer just can't get you close enough to where you want to be for all your snaps. I found I had a big variation in output file size.

Cos Quick Photo Resizer thinks a bit harder, it is much slower. But that could be due to other reasons too (sub-optimal coding etc).

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw in a couple of "cool" retro TT shots for those who are into them. From Pure Sound, a couple of nice old Technics TTs.

The lower one is an SL-1200MK2.

Attachments

• sdc11228.jpg
    sdc11228.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 469
  • sdc11229.jpg
    sdc11229.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
BTW Adam (Amey01): I used Quick Photo Resizer in the end. Why? Because it allows you a target filesize and a horizontal width setting. So you can get very close to optimum for the site. PIXresizer just can't get you close enough to where you want to be for all your snaps. I found I had a big variation in output file size.

Cos Quick Photo Resizer thinks a bit harder, it is much slower. But that could be due to other reasons too (sub-optimal coding etc).

Thanks - I'll try that one out too. Not freeware though :(

Is it more expensive than PhotoShop Limited Edition?

I think I saw it say $9.99. There are probably a billion and one bits of s/w that will do the job - including freeware ones too. I spent literally 5 minutes looking for this alternative.

OK - some Focal speakers I actually heard. Not brilliant, but then not terrible either. Could be a budget 2.1 channel HT system that isn't too instrusive, I guess. Try the website for more details.

Music source was the rather nice Arcam solo in the bottom pic.

Attachments

• sdc11241.jpg
    sdc11241.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 429
  • sdc11242.jpg
    sdc11242.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 504
  • sdc11244.jpg
    sdc11244.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 441
  • sdc11246.jpg
    sdc11246.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Is it more expensive than PhotoShop Limited Edition?

Way cheaper! It's just that these bits of software do batch resizes to a specified size. Can Photoshop do this? My version can't (or I don't know how to). It makes it handy when you've got 100 15-megapixel images you need to resize to post on the site...or somewhere.

Back