Bridging an Amp/s into Vantages??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daz-b

Reaction score
Hi there from the UK.
Ive owned my vantages for approx a year and LOVE them.

Question for you guys with regards to amplification.

I currently own a single Electrocompaniet AW250-R (Dual/Mono design); see here: http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/poweramp/aw250r.html

I have the opportunity to add another one these amps and configure them in 'bridged' mode. i.e. one AW250-R for each Vantage. Issue I have is that I cant demo before I buy.

What are your guys thoughts i.e. good improvements to be gained OR waisting my time?

Cheers,
Daz

I would go for it. I have used the original ECI1 made by Per Abrahamson himself custom ordered about 15 years ago if I remember that far back with Analysis Omega panel speakers. It was one of the last amps handmade in the day and true dual mono integrated before they moved production to machine made units. I then used the AW180s monos with esls at the time and the sound was great. From what I recall they were Class A so you can't go wrong and should do well with the extra current working the panels.

Last edited:
The only issue might be the Vantages impedance curve. Check and see how these amps behave at very low impedances. Bridgeing an amp halves the impedance the amp sees. I discovered this principle using a Bel Canto eVo4 in bridged mode driving my Summits. At high listening volumes the amp's protective circuits shut it off. If the amp is stable and/or "doubles down" at low impedances then you should be good.

Hi Chaps,
many thanks for the detailed replies.
Ive decided to not go down the bridging road for now.
Decided that because of the additional cost of another amp, I'd be not far off a dedicated pair of mono blocks (or even something completly 'different').
For the short term Im going to stay as I am and take my time investigating a lot of other amps. Possibly even other M/L speakers (Spire).
Once again many thanks.
Daz

I'm late with my comments, but the amp is rated at 380w into 4 ohms, which is tons of power (yes, I know, you can never have too much power), and the Vantage has a powered woofer, so why would you want to bridge the amps? Is it not overkill?

Yes, my thought as well now is that Im actually 'ok' with the current power amp.
You know what its like when the 'upgrade' bug bites.....
Will look at 'different' upgrade routes next.
Thanks

Back