Breakin period

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norway84

Reaction score
I have a pair of motion 15's and I really want to like the speaker. This is a bedroom system using a Yamaha S 2000 integrated, clear audio concept turntable and Oppo 105 as a dac. The bass is very hollow. There is something not right about it it's disconnected from the ribbon I know it's a 5 inch woofer. I did not expect chest beating bass and that's not what I'm talking about. I bought these for a desktop. I have a pair of the original SF CREMONAS that I thought there was something wrong with them I'm not a big believer in break-in THEY took forever and boy I'm glad I waited I still have them today.
SO MY QUESTION IS DOES THE MOTION 15 NEED TONS OF HOURS BECAUSE I'M FINDING THE BASS ALMOST AS IF YOU'RE BEATING ON SOMETHING PLASTIC VERY ANNOYING AND I WANT TO LOVE THIS SPEAKER IS THERE A LONG BREAK INTO FOR THIS GUY. SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS GOT LEFT ON TO LAZY TO REDUE.
PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Hi,

I too own Motion 15. Hollow bass was never a issue with my Motion 15. They sound impressive from day one. since I got my ML more than a couple of years ago their bass performance was impressive out of the box and still is. From my subjective experience 2 years is the time I would ascribe for these loudspeakers mid range to fully open up and hence run in fully.

Try placing them in room corners in front of chair. If bass is still hollow then check cable connections ( correct polarity ). Importantly in the same system switch the ML with the SF Cremona. If the latter sound good then you may have a defect in Motion 15.

Conclusion:
Motion 15 performance at two ends of its frequency range is the loudspeakers strong point. Never experienced hollow bass.

Hope the above info. helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx M15 for the help. Phase good on terminals and crossover. I'll play them longer

Hi,

From my subjective experience 2 years is the time I would ascribe for these loudspeakers mid range to fully open up and hence run in fully.

Is this a typo or are you serious? If the latter you've lost me!

If you just used them (and didn't run them constantly to break them in) then this could be about right.

Hi Adam,

A audiophile relative and friend whom I some times invite over to my place for coffee and music listening session was of the same opinion, namely, that Rehan now your speakers have opened up and have a relaxed presentation.

Adam thanks for your support and best wishes to you!

Have fun listening to music. :music:

At a modest hour a day that's over 700 hours. I think psychological effects at play here, personally. Glad your happy though Rehan.

At a modest hour a day that's over 700 hours. I think psychological effects at play here, personally. Glad your happy though Rehan.

Minimum, 5 hours average time spent listening to music each day. You may be right that psychological effects at play here. Precisely the reason why i said

and used the word subjective when i wrote my subjective experience has been that after 2 years the speakers are entirely run in.

Happy New Year Bruce!

Have fun listening to music.:music:

I always think my system sounds best with friends round... One of my favourites was when my best man and his wife visited from Australia (virtually half way round the globe to here) and we played some favourites after a good meal together (and at times very loud!!). All of us really listening and loving the music. Brilliant.

Happy New Year to you, too!!

I always think my system sounds best with friends round... One of my favourites was when my best man and his wife visited from Australia (virtually half way round the globe to here) and we played some favourites after a good meal together (and at times very loud!!). All of us really listening and loving the music. Brilliant.

Happy New Year to you, too!!

Many thanks for kind words.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Back