Break-in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
With all the recent discussion and banter about "break-in" of components, I thought I should post this excerpt from a 10-Audio review of Koetsu cartridges. Interesting perspective.

"There have been many allusions lately to the break-in requirement of various components being partially attributable to the listener acclimating to the new component. In other words, while the new component is breaking-in, the listener is, too. We adapt our hearing to our environment, just as our eyes adjust the “white balance” to automatically compensate for late-afternoon sun (red) or for fluorescent lights (green). I am a strong believer in the need for components to break-in for best performance. Listening to the Black as my main cartridge for two months, I have also come to believe that there is a break-in period that we as listeners experience when we install a component that is different from our recent fare. Even though a direct comparison may highlight the Black's weaknesses, longer involvement will certainly improve your opinion."

That is an interesting perspective, and it makes perfect sense to me. Same can be said for the other senses too. When you first step into that hot bath is feels scalding, but then a minute or two later it is perfect. When you taste a strong flavor it is overpowering, but then in a few seconds you get acclimated and it tastes great. The difference though, is that all of these acclimations take minutes at most. Audio break-in is perceived to take many hours, so this may be a small part of it but probably not a substantial factor.

Yep, that first sip of the Martini can be rough, but it gets better and better as your body adjusts (or goes numb?)

Bernard, you know my opinion with respect to ridiculous break-in times(those of which are spoken in multiples of hundreds of hours !!) , but I will be the first to admit phono cartridges require break-in.

Anything in audio that is 'electro-mechanical' for sure requires some amount of time.

With respect to cartridges, it's all about da rubbah (suspension, that is!) MC cartridges have the most rubber in their suspensions and therefore require the most flexing time before their 'K' factor (stretch/force) stabilizes (usually 100 hrs, but 80% complete by 50-60 hrs.) And because elastomeric materials have a 'memory', I always 'run-in' a new cartridge (for the first 50 hrs. or so) at about .2 grams above the maximum recommended VTF. It won't hurt the cartridge, and it insures that the suspension will have a uniform elasticity at even the upper end of the VTF range (which seems to be where most MC cartridges like to be.)

Vacuum tubes burn-in too but even for power tubes are done in 24 hours. Speakers take awhile depending on the kind of speaker. Logan panels take about 100 hours, but again, they're 80% done after 50-60 hours. Most other materials stabilize too quickly to notice, however electrical circuit components do get polarized/magnetized/saturated etc over time, especially the SS stuff you/re supposed to leave on 24/7. For that reason, a good system enhancement disc, like the one made by Purist Audio Design, will nake a noticiable difference (especially if you forget to use it for a few months :D )

Latest posts

Back