bitten by upgrade bug!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Speaker spikes!

I've always wanted to mess around with spikes and maybe play with the tilt (backward and forward) of the Aerius i speakers I own.

It seems that you could make speaker spikes out most any material, but the two most common are likely steel and maybe brass.

Has anyone experimented with different materials? Did one sound better over the other? Was the difference very slight?

Also - you purchase discs that the spikes sit on. Does anyone do that? I guess if you had hardwood floors and/or some other expensive surface you'd want to avoid marking them up with the spikes. In my case, I have carpet so I am thinking that the spikes don't need to rest on any particular surface.

On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if I got some granite tile and placed the speakers (and spikes) on that. What type of difference would that make?

Erik

Speaker spikes!

I've always wanted to mess around with spikes and maybe play with the tilt (backward and forward) of the Aerius i speakers I own.

It seems that you could make speaker spikes out most any material, but the two most common are likely steel and maybe brass.

Has anyone experimented with different materials? Did one sound better over the other? Was the difference very slight?

Also - you purchase discs that the spikes sit on. Does anyone do that? I guess if you had hardwood floors and/or some other expensive surface you'd want to avoid marking them up with the spikes. In my case, I have carpet so I am thinking that the spikes don't need to rest on any particular surface.

On the other hand, I wonder what would happen if I got some granite tile and placed the speakers (and spikes) on that. What type of difference would that make?

Erik

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/bigfat.htm

I have always liked the results of spiked speakers. I solidifys the image and usually tightens up the bass.

The Martin Logan ETC spikes are very well made and reasonably priced.

I wouldnt use a slab of any kind between the speaker and the carpeted floor. The idea of spikes is to decrease the footprint and couple the speakers with the floor. adding the slabs will greatly increase your footprint.

Putting spikes on a carpeted floor will not leave any visable marks.

Picture of the new spikes!

Attachments

• spike_j.JPG
    spike_j.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 109
man those look more menacing than 125 grain broadheads !

Erik, they should give you plenty of adj ht, I'm wondering....... for bringing the tilt more forward wouldn't you want a shorter pair up front ?

I could get a shorter pair, or just use the original feet (since they are shorter) to provide the desired tilt.

I installed them today, and so far it's hard to tell if there's improvement, or not. It's a difficult thing to A/B test. I do think the bass output is somewhat different...not sure to explain it though.

Latest posts

Back