Best way to transport ESL 11a with out boxes?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

option202

Reaction score
Purchased a used pair of ESL 11a speakers without the boxes.
Just wondering what would be the best way to transport them in the back of my pickup truck (no van available).
Was thinking to wrap them up in a combination of clean moving blanks and wrap and secure them on their side on top of good cushioning in the pick up box. The move would be on a no rain day.
Don't want to transport them standing up as the top 1/3 of the panel would be in the wind stream causing wind pressure on the panels at highway speed.
Is this a good process or are their better way of transporting them?
Thanks

I think you've only got two choices, standing or on the side.

Either way, I would wrap the panels in something lint-free. Maybe use butcher paper around the panels, then wrap that in bubble wrap. Use lots of bubble wrap around the woofer boxes.

If transporting the speakers laying on their sides, use alternating layers of moving blankets and doubled or tripled up cardboard layers, maybe some foam rubber also. This becomes more like a bed mattress as the amount of layers increase, softening the bumps a bit.

I transported my Prodigy speakers in the back of my wife's Vovlo SUV. Id want those protected from the elements. If I were you, I would rent a uhaul cargo van. Its cheap.

Laying them on their side is the way I did mine. Depending on how hard it is to do with the newer speakers, you might want to take the speakers apart. You can take the panels off of the cabinet. Im not sure how hard it is to take the braces off the side that hold the panel. On the prodigy, they are wood and ive never taken mine off.

If you have a large piece of old carpet and padding, that would be excellent for the floor of the moving vehicle.

Thanks Robert - going to rent a 4X8 uhaul trailer to move the speakers up right. Rental is much cheaper than I thought.
Will use plastic wrap/moving blankets/camping foamys to protect the speakers.
Will post on how the move went in a few days.
Thanks everyone

Thanks Robert - going to rent a 4X8 uhaul trailer to move the speakers up right. Rental is much cheaper than I thought.
Thanks everyone
Ok. Glad you found the price good. I recently had to move my daughter to a college apartment and was surprised at how it's still very affordable, unlike most things this day!

Thanks everyone
Make absolute sure you strap those speakers in with ratchet straps because if you just leave them standing up unsecured the chances of those speakers still being standing when you get back to where you are going are slim to none. Those 4x8 trailers do not ride smooth at all. The moving blankets are a great idea. I transported my Odysseys from Chicago back to the western burbs of Detroit in the back of my Silverado on their sides wrapped in moving blankets and they rode just great no problem at all.
I remember the first time we brought the pit bike to the dragstrip in the enclosed 22’ trailer I figured it would ride just fine sitting with the kickstand down. Got to the track pit bike was on it’s side with the end of the kickstand punched right thru the right front tire of the race truck.😳 I thought the 45 lb cooler would wedge it in just fine……live and learn. Good luck on the transport those are some nice music makers!!

Thanks everyone
Even if it weren't that cheap, how much is not damaging an expensive pair of speakers worth to you?

That being said, I moved my CLS II's across the entire state of Massachusetts to Albany, NY in an open pickup, on a stunning autumn day, which I still remember very well. But they were broken down and in their boxes. The pair of new panels was in its own unopened box.

It pays to save the boxes for things, if you have the space. My Ascent boxes are still taking up space in the attic. Some day they will go, along with their original contents.

Thanks everyone
Presumably the trailer has straps. Still, on their sides is the most stable position. Just be sure they are constrained from sliding around. They will fit along the 8' dimension, right? One woofer enclosure at one end and one at the other.

Presumably the trailer has straps. Still, on their sides is the most stable position. Just be sure they are constrained from sliding around. They will fit along the 8' dimension, right? One woofer enclosure at one end and one at the other.
I agree. On their sides is best. Strapped down too. IMO upright is a disaster waiting to happen.

So, not like this?
56094fd79dd7cc17008bd71c

Not to worry guys that 4x8 trailer is only 48” tall so the speakers won’t stand up in it anyways😂. I really hope he isn’t talking about one of their 5x7 open utility trailers.

Here goes my $0.02...

Both a (relatively unloaded) pickup bed and a U-Haul trailer are not known for their soft rides. Somebody above suggested a mattress... not a bad idea at all. Some straps so the speakers don't leave the top of the mattress, with a little bit of compression, ad you should be good.

That's in addition to no-lint wrapping and bubble wrap along edges. Make sure no-one picks up a speaker and puts their hand through a woofer!

All the best with the move, and congrats on the new speakers!

I've transported my speakers multiple times, I just wrap them up really good in plastic wrap and make sure they won't bounce around. I wouldn't overthink it too much, you just don't want to damage the diagraphs.

My move was a success!
Wrapped the speakers in a double layer of plastic wrap followed by a double layer of bubble wrap followed by a double layer of moving blankets. Laid the speakers apposing on 8 inches of camping foam and used copious amount of ratchet straps to hold the speakers in place.
Speakers traveled well - no need for the boxes if you have the patience to wrap and transport yourself.

Last edited:
Back