Best ML model for small room? (new member)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morecowbell

Reaction score
I'm new to the ML club and was seeking some advice. The dimensions of my listening room are 11' by 19' with an 11' foot ceiling. I once had a pair of Magnepan 1.6's and was looking to try some more planar speakers. Unfortunately, my listening experience with planar speaker is limited to Magnepans and Quads.

To provide some more detail, my current speakers are Revel Gems with a Revel Sub30 subwoofer. Other equipment includes Mark Levinson 436 amps, 380S preamp, Manley Steelhead, VPI HW19, Sim Equinox CD player. My primary listening preference is older pop and rock, generally not real hard rock.

I've listened to Magnepan 3.6's with the 436 amps and was highly impressed. I thought there was a huge soundstage, vocals were outstanding and the bass was pretty good. The concern is that the listening room was very large and they wouldn't work nearly as well in my narrow room. I've heard quad speakers and thought they had an incredibly detailed sound, but I felt they were too lacking in punch (much less dynamic than the magnepans). I also have serious reservations about the reliability of quads. I've never heard ML speakers, but I suspect that they might be a good fit.

I have a good subwoofer, but in my opinion a sub doesn't adequately compensate for a speaker that seriously lacks dynamics. Which ML model would give me the best sound? How would CLS speakers combined with my sub work and how would that compare to a set of quads with my sub? Or would a ML hybrid with or without the sub be better and, if so, which model? Your advice would be much appreciated.

I would recommend that you find a store that has a listening room, similar in size to yours, and audition various models. Shouldn't be that difficult living in the Bay area.

If you go with the Summit, you won't need a sub. Given your room size, the same would probably be true with the Vantage. Another option is the new "Source" or "Purity" with your sub. Realtively small and affordable within the ML line.

Of course, specific speaker placement and quality of all upstream components is critical to maximize performance.

Good luck.

GG

I'm new to the ML club and was seeking some advice. The dimensions of my listening room are 11' by 19' with an 11' foot ceiling. I once had a pair of Magnepan 1.6's and was looking to try some more planar speakers. Unfortunately, my listening experience with planar speaker is limited to Magnepans and Quads.

To provide some more detail, my current speakers are Revel Gems with a Revel Sub30 subwoofer. Other equipment includes Mark Levinson 436 amps, 380S preamp, Manley Steelhead, VPI HW19, Sim Equinox CD player. My primary listening preference is older pop and rock, generally not real hard rock.

I've listened to Magnepan 3.6's with the 436 amps and was highly impressed. I thought there was a huge soundstage, vocals were outstanding and the bass was pretty good. The concern is that the listening room was very large and they wouldn't work nearly as well in my narrow room. I've heard quad speakers and thought they had an incredibly detailed sound, but I felt they were too lacking in punch (much less dynamic than the magnepans). I also have serious reservations about the reliability of quads. I've never heard ML speakers, but I suspect that they might be a good fit.

I have a good subwoofer, but in my opinion a sub doesn't adequately compensate for a speaker that seriously lacks dynamics. Which ML model would give me the best sound? How would CLS speakers combined with my sub work and how would that compare to a set of quads with my sub? Or would a ML hybrid with or without the sub be better and, if so, which model? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Man do I have your AVATAR!

Attachments

• 25446more_cowbell.gif
    25446more_cowbell.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 336
I would suggest the Summits or the Vantages. I have the Summits in a 14' x 19' x 9' room and they work great. Even the newer smaller models, like the source or purity would work great, but if you want a larger panel and deeper bass, go with the vantage or summit.

For the price, looks and sound, I liked the ML vantages, since my dealer had them playing in a smaller room than yours.

C.A.P. do you ever have the avatar for my signature. I would love to use that if you would email it to me. I just found out that a local dealer (San Francisco Stereo) now carriers Martin Logan, so I should be able to actually hear some of their current speakers (like the suggested Summits and Vantages) in person.

Latest posts

Back