best center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASONDMAGUIRE

Reaction score
I need to get a center but I am not sure what I should get. Any ides would be great.
For the record I have Claritys for L and R fronts.
Thanks.

There is no 'best.'

Get the speaker that:

looks appealing to you
fits the budget
matches the timber of the your main speakers
...SOUNDS THE BEST!!!!

I listened to the newer ML center channel speakers (either the matinee or motif). I thought it sounded great.

That said I have no idea if the older (and larger) ESL center speakers match up well with the new line of ML speakers. For example, how will the Logos work with the Scripts, or Claritys? That's a tough nut to crack.

There are some listings for the cinema and cinema i on audiogon. Also, another idea is to use something like a Fresco for the center channel. IMO, I don't see the need to drop more on a center channel than you did on the Main channel (L and R) speakers. If you can audition a lower priced fresco vs the matinee, that might be a useful comparison (for example).

Erik

Unless you plan on upgrading to the Summits, Vantages, or Vistas in the near future, I would think the Matinee would be your best bet. It offers the same specs and form-factor as the Motif (which I have), at a nicer price-point. The Fresco would be a reasonable alternative, but lacking the stat panel, it probably wouldn't match the Claritys tone quite as well.

I have the Cinema i for my center between my Clarity's, and to me it sounds great. My room is 90% HT and 10% for music during parties. If you can get one from Audiogon like Erik said that would be my route. Also have Scripts for rears.

Anyone have an opinion on whether a Vignette for a center speaker will match well with Aerius'? The other Martin Logan centers are way too large for my setup.

My advice on centers is pretty constant: get the biggest, highest performing center you can afford and / or fit.

All centers are too small relative to the L/R's in my book. But then my book has a weird author ;)

Anyone have an opinion on whether a Vignette for a center speaker will match well with Aerius'? The other Martin Logan centers are way too large for my setup.

I have a Vignette as a center mated with Clarity's.. not sure what they would be like with the Aerius. I have them turned up a couple of DB. Volume, Dispersion and integration is nice and have no complaints. If someone in a movie is walking and the voice pans from L-R or R-L crossing the center, the tonality and integration is nice but not perfect. It has never distracted from my enjoyment so I'm pretty happy with it.
Hope this helps.

But then my book has a weird author ;)

Yeah, but we love him just the same!

As for ML centers, I would think the matinee or motif would work fine with Clarities. The stage is the best center that ML makes currently, so if you wanted to go all out (short of building your own like JonFo's) you could buy one of those.

I'm a firm believer in using panels with panels. I have Clarities. I auditioned a Fresco and didn't think it matched well, but I know there are many here that are very happy with the combo.

I bought a Cinema on the used market and it matches wonderfully. That would be the route I'd recommend. It is probably the most important speaker for HT, so don't skimp.

As I developed our system (see my system link below), home theater was just as important as music. I evolved up to Summits primarily for the music, but my Theater center and Descent sub are for the home theater. (I actually disable the center and sub when playing music.)

Its hard for me to describe how good the Theater center is for the home theater. I originally had a Cinema center but my HT guy talked me into trying the Theater. I was doubtful that the almost doubling in price was warranted. I was wrong. If HT is important to you, get the best center speaker you can afford and I don't think you'll be sorry. (The sub is important too, but 'best' in the case of a home theater tends to be different and less expensive than for music.)

For me the best center is no center, have you tried it? You could be surprise.

found center, now I need rears.

OK, so I found a Cinema I on Audiogon that I am trying to buy. Now what about rears? I think the Scripts might be a little big, then again I do have the room.....

Nice, hope you love the Cinema i like I do. I have Script i's for rears and love those also. I basically have the setup you are about to finish putting together and love it. Had some minor tweaks that were done with the help of the forum gods here, and now to me it is great. Just need to add some traps.

Latest posts

Back