Best CD/SACD Player for Rock/Electronica/Vocals

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excite23

Reaction score
Hey all...

I am looking for some suggestions for a player (between $500-$1500 used or new) thats great at handling Rock, Electronic, and (not as important) female vocals.

My order for a Cambridge Audio 840c was put on back order so I need to start hunting around for a new player.

Some people suggest Rega or Naim... Are there any others...

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards
Tom

Last edited:
I've listened to both Rega and the Cambridge Audio.
If you go CA way, make sure you've got an extended warranty, they do fail more often than others. Sound good for the money, too.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Has anyone heard the Naim CD5i? How does it handle the music types above?

Thanks
Tom

FWIW, the best type of music to judge anything is classical music because it has so many things going on at any given time. With this type of music, one can go to a live concert and judge how well music is reproduced against the real thing. HP of TAS once stated, and I agree with him, is that once your system can produce the sound of "strings" in a reasonably accurate manner, all other instruments, including voice, should sound reasonably close.

Another interesting fact is that a symphony orchestra, with all instruments playing at the upper volume level, is in the middle to upper 80 db range. I mention this within the context of loudness levels for rock or techno.

The point is that, IMHO, one should not purchase anything that is "biased" or "voiced" towards rock, techno, or whatever.

GG

Thanks Gordon, I was trying to think how to word a 'like' response but did'nt know how to put it into perspective like you did. I agree !!

Back