Benchmark DAC 1 with USB Input

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Has anyone used Benchmark DAC1? I am wondering whether it will be a substantial upgrade if I use with my Wadia 861, IRiver/IPOD/ Alesis Masterlink 9600 and Slim Device SB3?

I doubt it will sound anywhere near as good as your Wadia, but it will be great for your squeezebox!

I have a Benchmark DAC1-usb. I haven't compared it side-by-side with a Wadia though.

In my opinion, the Benchmark is a LOT more natural-sounding than the Krell DACs though, and a very similar in sound to the PS Audio DAC. From what I remember about Wadia units, they tend to sound really nice--much warmer and "real" sounding than Krell and a million times more resolution than McIntosh.

Doesn't that Wadia have digital inputs? Yo should run the iPod and Squeezebox through that. I don't know if the Benchmark would be an "upgrade", but it might sound "different".

Another advantage to the Benchmark is that it has a LOT of inputs, and can allow you to hook up a lot of different components to it. It also has RCA and XLR analogue outputs, and if yr preamp has XLRs, I'd highly recommend using the XLR outs on the Benchmark--it makes a HUGE difference--tons more open-ness and air, and the soundstage is much more 3-dimensional.

--Richard

Thanx for the info. Yes I have the all sort of inputs in my Wadia (coax, spdif. AES) But my Iriver has only USB connector and analog out. Can I use? Yes I can connect SB3. Will it sound sound superior with Wadia DAC? Can I connect a cheap DVD PLAYER thru optical connector with my Wadia ? Will it sound superior? Yes my entire system right from Plinius SA-102, Wadia 861 and Cary SLP-05 are connected in a fully balanced mode.

Last edited:
Back