Bass response to die for!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along this same line, here's a simpler tweak for the Summits. The spacing between the front and back legs/spikes is over 13". I placed 12" square tiles underneath my Summits, as far back (under the woofer) as possible. The Summits are already anchored to the floor substrate with spikes (Jason's spikes in the rear), but the tile helps reflect the bass from the bottom-firing woofer. To my ears, there is a SLIGHT improvement in bass clarity, but nothing earth-shattering. Your mileage may vary. It's certainly a cheap tweek for those of us with spare tiles lying around. I'll also try stacking two or more, and see if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• Summit Tile Tweak.jpg
    Summit Tile Tweak.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 90
Along this same line, here's a simpler tweak for the Summits. The spacing between the front and back legs/spikes is over 13". I placed 12" square tiles underneath my Summits, as far back (under the woofer) as possible. The Summits are already anchored to the floor substrate with spikes (Jason's spikes in the rear), but the tile helps reflect the bass from the bottom-firing woofer. To my ears, there is a SLIGHT improvement in bass clarity, but nothing earth-shattering. Your mileage may vary. It's certainly a cheap tweek for those of us with spare tiles lying around. I'll also try stacking two or more, and see if that makes any difference.

Alan,

My morning OJ almost spilled out of my nose! I thought you were trying to put the Summits on a platform... and I was thinking, "that's not on top of it, it's straddling it!"

LOL!

Then I read your post..... then I understood what you were trying to do.

Goodness... I don't need this much fun early in the AM.

Joey

Mapleshade stands

What? has no one spent $1,020 on a pair of Mapleshade's 2" V.2 Maple Amp stands (24" x 18" in semi-gloss black)?

I should be receiving my Summits in a couple of weeks and have been thinking about placing them on some footing, other than my carpet, as well. I have low pile carpet and have purchased Jason's spikes. I too am wondering if the granite or wood bases would make for an improvement in bass. Of course you would have to use some type of spikes/points under the granite or wood to couple to the wood floor under the carpet, wouldn't you?

So now you have a spike in the floor, a granite or wooden platform, then some type on cup/puck for Jason's spikes to sit on. Maybe it's too much! Mapleshade has something called "furniture savors" for the points to sit in. They have a dome shape. According to Mapleshade's catalog, "Never use the usual flat brass, lead or composaite discs; they will degrade any footer's performance by at least 50%".

Who knows?
I'll be following this thread to see what everyone has to say.

JM

What? has no one spent $1,020 on a pair of Mapleshade's 2" V.2 Maple Amp stands (24" x 18" in semi-gloss black)?

I should be receiving my Summits in a couple of weeks and have been thinking about placing them on some footing, other than my carpet, as well. I have low pile carpet and have purchased Jason's spikes. I too am wondering if the granite or wood bases would make for an improvement in bass. Of course you would have to use some type of spikes/points under the granite or wood to couple to the wood floor under the carpet, wouldn't you?

I do have the mapleshade amp platforms--but under my amp and CDP, just take a look at my system's photos. They actually feel quite nice to the touch and the clear maple (not the semi-gloss black) finish nicely matches the birds-eye maple on the speakers.

I am thinking of getting some mapleshade spikes to put under the amp and perhaps under the platforms themselves, replacing the default cork and rubber cubes supplied with them. The Esoteric X-03 already has some sophisticated feet that look like they keep the unit in suspension, so I will probably leave it as is.

I believe you are joking here...but in case and for others information...

You can purchase the same wood platform from Timbernation for far far less and use what ever Cones or Vibrapos isolation items you like under them.

Paulo, your equipment is beautiful and awesome! I bet it sounds wonderful as well! :bowdown:

No joke

Actually I was wondering if anyone HAD purchased the MS amp stands and is using them under the Summits. At $1,000+ per pair, it seems a bit much. I would like to experiment with a wood platform.

Who sells the Timbernation product?

Thanks!

JM

I believe you are joking here...but in case and for others information...

You can purchase the same wood platform from Timbernation for far far less and use what ever Cones or Vibrapos isolation items you like under them.

I actually get better bass results by having a 12 x 12 inch tile in front of the woofer of my speaker. That way the sound bounces off the tile instead of being absorbed by the carpet. I also make sure my spikes pierce the carpet and are actually coupled to the concrete floor.

Amazing how a cheap tweak like this can make a huge difference. Thousands of dollars spent on equipment, and the system would not reach its potential without this.

Actually I was wondering if anyone HAD purchased the MS amp stands and is using them under the Summits. At $1,000+ per pair, it seems a bit much. I would like to experiment with a wood platform.

Who sells the Timbernation product?

Umm.... Timbernation :p They are on the web ;) !!

Last edited:
Back