Bass POP!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TileproNC

Reaction score
Ok
Please bear with my I am a major newbie to not only this site but audio as a hobby itself. I have Aeons and just added a Rotel 1080 amp to my system.In playing a cd I was checking out just good my new amp sounds.I was listening to a real bassy track and turned up the volume a lil to heavy and the bass started to almost pop like it was over extending. I know MLs are not know for their heavy bass but wasnt sure if this means I have a blown woofer. At normal to even a lil high listening levels everything sound fine I dont know if anyone has had this happen to them before:eek:
Thanks in advance for any input
John

Ok
Please bear with my I am a major newbie to not only this site but audio as a hobby itself. I have Aeons and just added a Rotel 1080 amp to my system.In playing a cd I was checking out just good my new amp sounds.I was listening to a real bassy track and turned up the volume a lil to heavy and the bass started to almost pop like it was over extending. I know MLs are not know for their heavy bass but wasnt sure if this means I have a blown woofer. At normal to even a lil high listening levels everything sound fine I dont know if anyone has had this happen to them before:eek:
Thanks in advance for any input
John

Hola John...two questions, the problem is at only one woofer?...this could be a Rotel overdriven (clipping). If this is it, change the left speaker for the right and listen again, if you have the same side with the problem, is the amp, if the problem is at the same speaker, then seems to be the woofer, and the other question is, with the amp that you had before than the Rotel, did you have the same problem?...I don't think that you have a woofer problem, if the sound is o.k. at normal listening level, happy listening,
Roberto.

A distinct pop is woofer slap. Sounds like one of two things. Like Roberto said Its either the amp itself clipping or the woofer is blown. Do what Roberto said switch speakers(L to R) and see if it moves with the speaker. If it does chances are its the woofer blown. If not and it does it with the switched speaker its the amp.

Sounds to me like an overdriven woofer.

That pop could very well be the voicecoil hitting the back plate of woofer.

Either lower the volume, or get a sub to relive the Aeon's from trying to reproduce low frequencies.

Thanks for the info.I will try switching the channels and see if the problem moves.I really think I was driving the Aeons to harsh.Like I said even at high levels it sounds fantastic. Its when I push a lil too far that the "slap" happens
I just wanted to be sure this is somehting thats happened to others .Also can I upgrade the woofers to after market woofers if need be? Are there any upgrade for MLs
Thnaks again

If there is no visible damage and it still sounds fine at normal listening levels then it is probably ok as is and can be left alone. I think the panels can handle loud volume much better than the cone speakers are able to.

If you need a new woofer, you may be able to find a better woofer than factory but it may or may not be an upgrade or cost effective. The money would be better spent towards a grotto sub or something comparable. If you need a woofer you can buy a replacement woofer from ML at a very reasonable price with quick shipping and swapping it out is a very simple task.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back