AVR Demographics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
As I read through the posts, I'm noticing that more people are using AVR's.
There are a lot of mind blowing systems here and I know that I'm getting older when my lustful thoughts are full of McIntosh, Spires, CLX, Sunfire, Ayre, etc. But for now, I need to stay in the AVR world.

Anyway, just wanted to get a poll of who is using and AVR's and their satisfaction level. I'll start it off..

1) What Brand Model?
Rotel 1560 (seeing a lot of Denons pop up here)
2) Do you use any external amplification or do you feel you need for it?
Yes, Rotel 1572 (250wpc). Definitely more open, effortless, greater dynamics, better, tighter bottom end. Not that the 1560 is bad, it just add the oomph for 2CH.
3) Percentage 2CH vs Movies?
Summer 75% 2CH, Winter, 50/50
4) Satisfaction Level?
probably about 80% mostly due to 2CH. The plan is to get a decent PreAmp with HT ByPass to fix this.

Denon 3808CI

External amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Int in HT passthrough, it has high-current capabilities and drives the peculiar load of MLs well.

I have the single system, so it gets used for all TV/Satellite/BD/DVD watching, and for all audio, including lowly internet radio streaming (built into the Denon), CD-DA, SACD, DVDA.

I'm quite happy with the setup as-is. A dedicated two-channel system would be nice, but I have neither the room nor funds to pull that off. I could probably wire analog directly to the A5's preamp section also and get something close to a dedicated 2-chan while maintaining the home theater capabilities, I just haven't been motivated to do so. Room treatments would probably give me more benefit, but this is also my living room, so I have some limits on that as well.

I use the Denon to switch all of my video sources, both HDMI and analog. It will upconvert analog video to HDMI. I use HDMI for everything else. This lets me run one HDMI cable to my plasma and minimizes the cable monster behind the rack.

Adam.. Trust me.. I've checked all the yummy two channel systems and have spent too many hours perusing them.. one of them being yours :bowdown: just wanted a poll of the AVR's..
Just want to see what people are doing with external amplification and possibly what HT ByPass pre's people are using. Think this would do the best of both worlds.

Steve.. just want I was thinking.. I'd probably wire the 2 channel stuff to the A5... Anyhow, sounds like a nice system (no pun intended)

1) Harman Kardon AVR745

2) Pre out to Cambridge Audio Azur 840w, center and rears still run on internal amp. Made all the difference in the world although I do feel I need to upgrade the RCA's linking my receiver and amp.

3) listening habits
TV 30%
Movies 25%
Video Games 25%
Music 20% (but to me the most important as far as performance goes)

4) satisfaction:
when I bought the thing two years ago 100%, since I bought my Logans that number has declined at a rate of -10% a month putting my number at about -140% non- satisfaction. I figure it will take $3,000 minimum to jump to separates on the used market and I don't have the option to spend that kind of money right now.

Back