Audiolab 8000M COOKED

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
For the last two days I kept hearing a clicking sound from my system. I thought it was the pre amp as it has muted frequently for a few seconds by itself. Then just click sounds, and no muting.
I saw smoke and fire between the pre amp and the power amp directly underneath. Still thinking it wads the pre I immediately switched it off, took it out looked underneath, no grill. It was the poweramp that was underneath the pre, I could see the flames through the top grills.
Just wondering why it cooked, surely it should have shut down and prevent further damage.
I went back to using two power amps ( I was using 4 8000M in the system, and my quest z speakers) We noticed that there was in fact an improvement in sound, and at that stage that was just single wire mode. Perhaps the power amp was faulty for quite a while and I did not realise this.I am back to bi wire mode as the monoblocks have two speaker output terminals. Sounds better. Prior to the amp blowing I did notice that the bass was a bit bloated, and the sound not centred correctly. The faulty amp was one driving the bass.
Looks like I will sell the one redundant remaining power amp, and get a quote on the cooked one for repair.

Last edited:
Smokin'...... as they say. The cooked one may be beyond repair.

To be honest, I'd ditch all of them. I wouldn't want the worry of the fire risk. If one has done it, which one is next? Sounds harsh, but it is a thought. Just sling 'em on ebay... and buy what you can afford with the cash + a little more maybe?

Sounds like what I have just suggested is passing the risk onto someone else, though. Hm. Tough one.

Smokin'...... as they say. The cooked one may be beyond repair.

To be honest, I'd ditch all of them. I wouldn't want the worry of the fire risk. If one has done it, which one is next? Sounds harsh, but it is a thought. Just sling 'em on ebay... and buy what you can afford with the cash + a little more maybe?

Sounds like what I have just suggested is passing the risk onto someone else, though. Hm. Tough one.

Are valve amps better suited to the Martin Logan Quest z speakers ?

Just out of curiosity, did you have your preamp placed directly on top of your amp?

Would seem if that was the case, you blocked the ventilation openings on your amp and hence the overheating.

But, maybe I'm missing something.

GG

Are valve amps better suited to the Martin Logan Quest z speakers ?

It just depends what you like, really. I think mine are an ace match for my Ascent/Descent combo sonically. Blinking brilliant, in fact. But others prefer solid state (or at least they think they do:D - but I'll get myself into trouble so I'll be quiet:)).

You''ll need a lot of power for the Quests, and that means 100 Watts plus I'd say. That means a big amp and lots of money, probably. Just like solid state there are tube amps and tube amps, though. Some are excellent, others are not. As always, try before you buy or go the auction route and swap stuff in and out until you find something that works.

When was the last time you re-panelled those Quests?

Just out of curiosity, did you have your preamp placed directly on top of your amp?

Would seem if that was the case, you blocked the ventilation openings on your amp and hence the overheating.

But, maybe I'm missing something.

GG

Yes the pre was sitting on top of the offending power amp, but there is ventilation space. The other amps sit on top of each other with ventilation space.

I have just seen a Krell KST100 for just under £1000. I am concidering this or a Croft Dakshini power amp.

It just depends what you like, really. I think mine are an ace match for my Ascent/Descent combo sonically. Blinking brilliant, in fact. But others prefer solid state (or at least they think they do:D - but I'll get myself into trouble so I'll be quiet:)).

You''ll need a lot of power for the Quests, and that means 100 Watts plus I'd say. That means a big amp and lots of money, probably. Just like solid state there are tube amps and tube amps, though. Some are excellent, others are not. As always, try before you buy or go the auction route and swap stuff in and out until you find something that works.

When was the last time you re-panelled those Quests?

About 1month ago

Why / how can you make such a general statement?

Please provide credible evidence to support your position?

GG

Not going for the 300i now, seller has a kst 100 power amp, and I paid out a little extra. I can recall a visit to the Penta hifi shoe way back in the early nineties and hearing a system that was pushing a small pair of stand mount speakers. I was with a Hi-Fi enthusiast friend, and we noticed that the bass was fantastic, I said there must be a sub in the room. My friend went back to have a closer look and confirmed that there was no sub in there but that the heart of the system was a KRELL amp. I walked away knowing that I would always want a Krell, and have waited many years in addition to the wait for Martin Logans. My Audiolab amps will be for sale on E Bay soon. I will keep the Audiolab 8000q pre, as I don't have any other pre. This beast can produce 100 wats, and a meaty 100 at that.

Back