Ascent Vs. Aeon I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linus

Reaction score
Hi!

Im about to buy me a pair of ML within shortly :D . For finicial reasons Im limited to the used market :( . Today there is one pair of Ascents and a pair of Aeon I´s availible on the used market not to far from me. For unknown reasons the Ascents have been fitted with brand new panels.

Any comments, pros or cons in comparsion between the different speaker?

Musicialy Im pretty wide but when I do serious listening its mostly jazz on fairly low levels of volume. I will use the speakers in a 4.0 HT setup so I guess the Ascents bigger bass will give them the upper hand in that area. But ordinary stereo is primary for me. The room in which they will play is small / medium sized but I will be able to place some diffusors and absorbers in it.

Looking forward for your input!

Thanks,
Linus

Linus :welcome:

My opinion, if you have the money go with the Ascents. Overall the Ascent is a better performing speaker then the Aeon, and that's not to say the Aeon is a poor performing speaker but the Ascent is in my option better then the aeon in every way. It will give you a larger sweet spot, larger sound stage, and better deeper base. The Ascent is a little more power hungry then the Aeon, but match them with high end components and the results can be very rewarding.

Take care,

Thanks Joe!

Im glad you think the Ascents are the better choice, Ill call the seller this week and ask for a meeting to inspect and listen to them.

I have a Perreaux 200ip amplifier that should be able to feed the Ascents with sufficient power, I hope?

Cheers

I have never auditioned a Perreaux so I have no Idea how it will sound with the Ascents. At 200 watts into 8 Ohms and 300 in 4 Ohms that should be enough power to drive the ascents. A lot of us feel it's quality of power and not quantity, I.E. your Logan's will sound better with a high end 100 watt amp then it would with a 500 watt low end amp. More power doesn't mean better sound, your Logan's will only sound as good as the components you have powering them.

Hi!

Im about to buy me a pair of ML within shortly :D . For finicial reasons Im limited to the used market :( . Today there is one pair of Ascents and a pair of Aeon I´s availible on the used market not to far from me. For unknown reasons the Ascents have been fitted with brand new panels.

Any comments, pros or cons in comparsion between the different speaker?

Musicialy Im pretty wide but when I do serious listening its mostly jazz on fairly low levels of volume. I will use the speakers in a 4.0 HT setup so I guess the Ascents bigger bass will give them the upper hand in that area. But ordinary stereo is primary for me. The room in which they will play is small / medium sized but I will be able to place some diffusors and absorbers in it.

Looking forward for your input!

Thanks,
Linus

I, too would go with the Ascents - it is not so much which speaker is newer, but which one has the larger panel! Especially if the panel has been replaced, it's obvious!

Linus, I think these inmates really want you to pick Ascents. ;)

Good choice, too, IMO, especially if they have brand new panels.

Ha det bra,

Ralf

Ok, thanks all!

Hopefully I will be able to see / listen to the Ascents this week! :rocker:

Ill keep you updated.

I've owned both and the Ascents are by far a better speaker. Grab those Ascents and don't look back.

Ok, thanks all!

Hopefully I will be able to see / listen to the Ascents this week! :rocker:

Ill keep you updated.

That's interesting that your name is Linus. I knew a linus who was an exchange student from sweden who in my lab at the Univ. of florida.

Welcome to the boards! And I hope you enjoy the ascents.

Erik

Now the Ascents are filling my livingroom with wonderful music!! :D

Truly great speakers. And the Perreaux does a great job when its pushing high quality amperes through them. Next on the list is a new CD (I have an old Onkyo Integra now) and some proper speaker / interconnect cables.

Another great thing is that the girl Im dating thought that they looked good! :) My last GF hated my old Aerius I, so apperently this girl got better wife potential :).

Erik, cool! Linus is a rather uncommon name but I think its getting popular again and many kids are named Linus in Sweden today.

Now the Ascents are filling my livingroom with wonderful music!! :D

Erik, cool! Linus is a rather uncommon name but I think its getting popular again and many kids are named Linus in Sweden today.

Awesome!! Good choice with the Ascents there!

BTW, when I think of Linus, I think of Charlie Brown. :D

The Ascent is a little more power hungry then the Aeon

Actually, the Ascent is less power hungry than the Aeon or Aeon i. The Ascents are rated at 90db while the Aeons are at 89db. This is also consistent with my experience owning both of these.

Its the older Ascents, however the panels have been replaced and according to the seller the panels are the same as the Ascent I. Can this be true?

When I got the speakers the panels were brand new the protective plastics was still attached. The reason for the panel switch was that the seller had a break-in in is appartment and the burglar damaged his speakers.

If you order new panels for the Ascents, ML will send you the newer style i model panels. That's a good thing and an upgrade to the speaker. The Ascents are very good speakers and I think used Ascents are one of the best ML values.

If you order new panels for the Ascents, ML will send you the newer style i model panels. That's a good thing and an upgrade to the speaker. The Ascents are very good speakers and I think used Ascents are one of the best ML values.

Could not agree more! Them or Odyssey, I have seen some for as little as $3k!

Back