Ascent rediscovered

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miljac

Reaction score
Inspired by the gentlemen on this forum who undertook the same tweak, yesterday I have replaced the capacitors in my Ascents for Obligattos. The caps arrived in the morning and it took me about 5 minutes to start opening the boxes and replacing the caps.
A couple of hours later the caps already showed signs of burn-in, the change was really profound.
I kept on burning the parts in today, and after some 11 hours of continuous playback the "new" Ascents shine in full splendor. I think this evening will evolve into a late night listening session. I hear details never heard before, the soundstage is bigger, microdynamics significantly improved, the clarity has gone ballistic, all without a sign of harshness.

All that for a very modest investment.

One remark: I noticed that in one loudspeaker the 30uF capacitor was not soldered on one side to the resistors, so the contact was purely (loose) mechanical. And I did enjoy the speakers for years! I always thought the Ascent being a great speaker, with this tweak it's fantastic!

BTW, I also made a pair of 12" long throw subs in 50 liter boxes with low bass boost, these properly tuned to the Ascents brought new level of performance into the system. I did not have time to play with analog circuitry for bass boost, so I used a Behringer FBQ2496 I had laying around and turned it into an equalized bass booster with great results. Main advantage is that it's easy to adjust and the results can be tested immediately without heating the soldering iron ;)

All in all - very successful tweaks. Next weekend I'll shower the panels, a pair of replacement panels just arrived last week so I can take the risk and try it :)

Life is never boring withe the ML's !!!!

Thank you! It was fun doing the work, but really cannot compare with the fun *after* it's been done !!! I'll have to (re)listen to my whole library again.

Question re details for capacitors for Ascents

Hi, I read your post below. I am interested in doing what you did - ie. replacing the capacitors in my Ascents. If you say this brought you to that "next level" of sound from the Ascents then it looks like a really good project. Can you possibly provide details of the specs for the capacitors (model(s) you used), how many, where you bought them, and if possible what you spent. Would it be possible to mention how you gained access to the speakers to replace the capacitors - there are a few tricks in getting into these speakers and replacing parts that one has to be aware of in advance?
Sorry to ask so many details but I am a little unsure of opening up such an expensive pair of speakers. Thanks a lot!
Andy

Inspired by the gentlemen on this forum who undertook the same tweak, yesterday I have replaced the capacitors in my Ascents for Obligattos. The caps arrived in the morning and it took me about 5 minutes to start opening the boxes and replacing the caps.
A couple of hours later the caps already showed signs of burn-in, the change was really profound.
I kept on burning the parts in today, and after some 11 hours of continuous playback the "new" Ascents shine in full splendor. I think this evening will evolve into a late night listening session. I hear details never heard before, the soundstage is bigger, microdynamics significantly improved, the clarity has gone ballistic, all without a sign of harshness.

All that for a very modest investment.

One remark: I noticed that in one loudspeaker the 30uF capacitor was not soldered on one side to the resistors, so the contact was purely (loose) mechanical. And I did enjoy the speakers for years! I always thought the Ascent being a great speaker, with this tweak it's fantastic!

BTW, I also made a pair of 12" long throw subs in 50 liter boxes with low bass boost, these properly tuned to the Ascents brought new level of performance into the system. I did not have time to play with analog circuitry for bass boost, so I used a Behringer FBQ2496 I had laying around and turned it into an equalized bass booster with great results. Main advantage is that it's easy to adjust and the results can be tested immediately without heating the soldering iron ;)

All in all - very successful tweaks. Next weekend I'll shower the panels, a pair of replacement panels just arrived last week so I can take the risk and try it :)

Life is never boring withe the ML's !!!!

Hi Andy,

I also had some thoughts about opening the expensive loudspeakers, but once decided to do it it turned out not being so difficult or dangerous.
Contrary to the methods of opening published on this forum, I used a hammer and a chisel to open the back panel that easily came off with a couple of light strikes.

The Obbligatos were bought on *bay (http://stores.ebay.com/diy-hifi-supply50, see under "Capacitors") and delivered from Hong Kong.

I also bypassed the Obbligatos with Vishay MKP1837 10nF caps, these bought at Farnell.

Obbligato Premium caps (per loudspeaker):

2 x 15uF/250V (replacement for 30 uF Solen)
10 uF/630V
4.7 uF/630V

Total cost for both speakers was around 170 EUR (some 230$)

Hope this helps

regards

Ned

So ..........

today mounted the replacement panels, took about 1 hour ....

now I've got Ascent h (not quite the i) :ROFL:

panels are of course from the i series

just listening and enjoying burning in, already significantly better (how one easily forgets how the new panels sound) - now I realize it was really about the time for new ones, thanks ML for giving lifelong support!

fascinating. Pure music! :bowdown:

returning to the listening. What a weekend ahead of me !!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back