Ascent & Odyssey Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure? I used to own both Ascents and Odysseys and the panels had the same measurements. Only the cabinets are different.

Are you sure? I used to own both Ascents and Odysseys and the panels had the same measurements. Only the cabinets are different.

The connectors are different, also the cosmetics too. You have to work if you want to use them...happy listening,
Roberto.

Sounds like sonic differences would be due to Odyssey's more sophisticated woofer system if cosmetics and connections are only panel differences.

Craig, I believe you are right, they are the same panel.

Matter of fact, I'll go out on a limb and state that I believe that all the Gen1 4'x13" panels are the same regardless of application (Sequel, Sequel II, SL3, Odyssey, Ascent). All the spar spacing seem to be the same. And electrically, an ESL is just too simple to have panel variations (other than spar locations).
There is a wire for the diaphragm and one each for front and rear stators. Sometimes the front stator will have two wires.
The connectors are indeed different amongst models, but they are usually terminal screw bars, so not to hard to adapt. Spare panels typically just have just the bare wires.

All the other differences come down to mounting (vertical for Sequels, Ascent, Odyssey, tilted for SL3) and height. Then there's the woofer variances as well as the crossovers. But all based around the venerable 4'x13" panel that's been such a workhorse for ML.
Heck, that panel is even featured in my center speaker. Must be good ;)

One thing’s for sure, as long as they are in business, they will be making spares for these panels given that models market penetration.

From a manufacturing standpoint it would make sense to use the same panel for the Ascent i and Odyssey rather than make one of them just slightly different. The only cosmetic difference would be between the Ascent and Ascent i's newer microperf panel.

From a manufacturing standpoint it would make sense to use the same panel for the Ascent i and Odyssey rather than make one of them just slightly different. The only cosmetic difference would be between the Ascent and Ascent i's newer microperf panel.

Craig, I believe none of the Gen2 xstat panels are 13" wide, they are all smaller and none are 4' long either. They outperformed the bigger Gen1 panels at their smaller 9" wide by 40" length.

Therefore the Ascent i still uses the Gen1 stat panel same as the Odyssey (and original Ascent).

It's not until the Vista / Vantage the mid-size speakers gained Xstat IIRC.

Gen2 panels come in these sizes:
  • 44" x 12" - Summit
  • 40" x 9" - Vista, Vantage
  • 28" x 9" - Purity / Source

Center speakers
  • Stage is a variation on the 9" panel (laid horizontally with concave curvature)
  • Motif and Matinee are a variation on a 7" panel (laid horizontally with convex curvature).

I said "the newer microperf panel" but I meant the newer clearspar panel. That is the one that is supposedly the same between the Ascent i and the Odyssey.

If I'm interpreting the above correctly my Sequels also share the same panel.

I said "the newer microperf panel" but I meant the newer clearspar panel. That is the one that is supposedly the same between the Ascent i and the Odyssey.

Ah, yep, that's about when they switched over to clearspars.

If I'm interpreting the above correctly my Sequels also share the same panel.

Yes, you are correct, and to connect the two points, if you order replacement panels for your Sequel, you will get a clearspar panel :cool:

Back