Are MLs still made in Lawrence, Kansas?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I forget now, I recall that ML was bought out by a bigger conglomerate... have they moved production base and has this affected the ML quality since then?

It's been a while and I haven't kept up.

Thanks!

PS
Is Jim Power and Allen (VP) still around?

It would seem that quality at the high end is fine. I think there was a transition period that was rocky. There are new manufacturing techniques that seem to have led to a more consistent product. Both my Montis and Stage X seem well made. Time will tell.

Panel replacement costs have gone up a LOT.

The claim from ML is that new stats will last a very long time due to improved construction and materials.

Joel

Panels cost how much now vs prior?

How is customer service now w/o Powers?

I believe the panels are still made in Kansas? Or not?

All non-Asian production is located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. That is where Paradigm Speaker facility is. There is an excellent article whose link is posted elsewhere on this forum about a factory tour. I highly recommend reading it.

About 3x!! :eek:

Are they actually better made nowadays? I saw Roberto's videos and I don't recall the factory tour we did at Kansas very well...

I fondly remember our National Gathering.... that was awesome.

I suspect the manufacturing process is better and more precise. The materials for the panels should be better based on advances in that field.

Joel

Hey Joel -

Which part is improved? The airframe appears to be the same...

I suspect the manufacturing process is better and more precise. The materials for the panels should be better based on advances in that field.

Joel

In general polymers of the type used for electrostats have new plasticizers that lead to less sensitivity to water, thermal wear, and other environmemtal factors. The literature cites 50+ year lifetimes for this class versus 5-7 year for those produced 10 years ago.

However Martin Logan would not confirm what polymer they use in their mix . They only say much longer lifetime .

I talked to Allan Heeger about this( one of the discoverers of conducting polymers). He suggested that all electrostats would use the new polymers now. There are plenty of applications of these materials outside of speakers.

I think there are new materials used in the cross supports which are also less sensitive to the environment. Again ML calls these improvements proprietary.

All recent speaker designs from all hi end manufacturers are benefiting from much improved modeling of internal acoustic wave interactions. I think this explains the improved xover design for the Stage X and Montis as well as their other new products.

I think hybrid electrostats would benefit significantly from these improved modeling techniques.Perhaps more than other my classical designs since the hybrid wave patterns are so complex.

I suggest you listen to both the Montis and the Summit X and then other high end speakers before making choice? Given your hope to use your room for multiple purposes the Montis may work for you . Especially since you will want a good set of subwoofers for HT applications. Properly tuned subs can do wonders. You might start to listen to good SACDs and
Music Blu Rays.

Last edited:
All right, i will get in here.
Product Development, Sales (inside and customer interaction), accounting, construction of legacy panels, repair, prototyping, return to stocks all remain in Kansas. The videos on our youtube link show the construction of ESL, cabinet being done up in Canada. We ship from there and also have a CA warehouse. Lawrence still has the best bars, good music scene and feels like home base. No major changes in critical areas with Greg Dunham just recently being given a promotion as official head of development for ML, something he has essentially been doing for quite a while. All of the engineeing, design staff that you know are happily churning away as well in Lawrence. after as one would suspect a bit of teething issues with the move, product consistency, improvements in cabinet construction techniques have all been upgrades. Paradigm boys/girls are good drinking buddies, but both of us still chart our own courses. our owner, Shoreview, is a US company so it behooves them mightlily to still keep us grounded in the US.

thanks Peter for the update, I assume subs are still made in China.......with QC performed upon arrival still in Lawrence ?

Back