Are CD's going the way of Vinyl?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went shopping for a few CD's tonight for Christmas gifts, and was kind of surprised at the lack of inventory. I have a Best Buy and Circuit City right next to each other that I shop at and both have always carried a large inventory of CD's. If I couldn't find what I was looking for at one, I could usually find it at the other.

Tonight, it was quite apparent that both have slimmed down their inventory of CD's tremendously, while at the same time, pumping up their inventory of DVD's. It seems Movies are taking over Music as King. They had a lot of current releases (mostly a bunch of crap from my perspective), but their back catalogs were way, way pared back. Best Buy actually did have a few vinyl record albums for sale, almost as a novelty item. But their CD inventory was probably half what it used to be. Circuit City was even worse.

I suppose they read the writing on the wall with the closing of Tower Records. So are we no longer going to be able to browse for CD's in a bricks and mortar store anymore? It would appear that is the way things are heading. What a shame. Music is one of my favorite things to shop for, and it just isn't the same ordering it online. It is a lot easier to get exposed to new things browsing in a store.

Your thoughts?

MP3 & itunes that's why

most people do not own systems good enough to here the difference or care.
plus you can trade for free

Just have to find a good independent store.

Now is really the time to buy CD's, especially if you like classical...

Best move, go up to the counter with a handful of Classical CD's and
say really loudly "Come on, no one listens to THIS stuff anymore!"

9 times out of 10 you'll walk out of there at a buck a disc!

A lot of people are getting out of physical media and trading them in at
the used CD stores for pennies on the dollar. 9 out of 10 of those peoples face will go white when you ask them if they've backed up their music server.

Scarf up all the music you can on CD now while the getting is good.

It's 1987 all over again!!!

Tell your freinds "you don't want those things around, look how much space they take up. I'll give you 200 bucks for all of em right now!"

I guarantee you will score more than once! Especially if you do this in front of a friends wife! She'll go "yeah honey, why don't you get rid of all those CD's?"

Yes, I am a bad smurf.

There are no mega stores in my area and the selection in the type of music I like is slim. The closest mega stores are in Montreal, 120 miles away, so I am used to ordering stuff online. But yes, it is better browsing in a brick and mortar store, especially since you get to take home a CD in your clammy little hands as opposed to getting it whenever in the mail.

Best move, go up to the counter with a handful of Classical CD's and
say really loudly "Come on, no one listens to THIS stuff anymore!"

9 times out of 10 you'll walk out of there at a buck a disc!

Where have you been able to do this?

I remember shopping for CDs in the US - how lovely it was. But here in Australia, I can't wave goodbye to the record stores soon enough. The crap that they carry is half the reason for the music industry in disarray. Heck, if your taste extends beyond Brittany Spears or Madonna or the lastest box-moving megastar you're out of luck. A quick stroll over to the Jazz section and if your taste extends beyond Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis you're also out of luck.

It was a blessing when I started buying CDs online - because I could actually search for what I wanted, and now even more of a blessing that I can download straight to my music server (FLAC or some other form of lossless of course).

So good riddance!! Now I can get the music I desire with one quick search.

I agree that it is nice to be able to order CD's online, because you can search for, find, and buy exactly what you want. You can create wish lists for things you want eventually, and not buy them right now. And I have ordered my fair share of CD's online from various outlets, so I guess I am helping to contribute to the demise of the brick and mortar stores.

But at the same time, I do enjoy browsing the stores. I have bought many thousands of dollars of CD's that I was not intending to buy simply because I was browsing and said "hey, that looks cool." I don't do this as much online because browsing stuff is so much slower, scrolling through page after page of options. I have also been turned on to more new music browsing in stores, especially Barnes and Noble, where you can listen to tracks before you buy. If it looks cool, and I can listen to a few tracks to see if it sounds interesting, I just might buy it. Again, this just isn't as easy to do online.

I agree with Jeff that now is the time to start shopping used CD stores to try to build out your collection on the cheap. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have too many decent used stores in my town.

I agree with Jeff that now is the time to start shopping used CD stores to try to build out your collection on the cheap. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have too many decent used stores in my town.

I just wish we had decent stores - period - in the country!

I three, agree that the used stores are sort of booming at present though - I've had many a good find......

There is a Borders near me in De (no tax!) that had an incredible selection, it is now a quarter of what it used to be. The Barnes and Noble down the street is still decent though, and what they don't have in stock they will get in less than a week.

I do remember Dan (DTB300) telling me of a place he deals with online that was quite good........ damn it can't find it !!

There are several great places online, from Music Direct, to CD Universe, to CD Baby, to Elusive Disc. My concern is that there are advantages to browsing in a bricks and mortar store that simply cannot be found online.

We've just started a relationship with the Independent Record Stores of America...

Pretty soon, Ill have more info to help some of you guys seek out a few more places.

I've had very good luck with CD Universe.

Great selection (including obscure imports) and service. Reasonable prices.

Highly recommended.

GG

Rich,I used to shop the stores for Lps in my younger days, and the majorty of my purchases were fair to poor, nothing like hearing before you buy. So now I buy all my Cds from Rhapsody on line. I have purchased over two hundred downloads and all are four or five star. cannot tell the difference between store bought, you most likely know all this! So I often wonder how long this will last? You also can buy music world wide and there is alot of wonderful music to be heard out there not just USA. My last purchase was "The base And I", by Ron Carter, WoW does that ever work out your sub-Woofer.

CD's have already gone the way of vinyl. I say this based on the fact that Apple's iTunes are the number one music seller in the US. And that is LEGAL digital files. Add in illegal downloads (also in the convenient, digital file format) and wowee.

The convenience of digital files has destroyed the quality arguments of CD in the market place.

CDs (and all optical media (I'm looking at you Blu-Ray)) are a dead-end.

-Allen

CD still bring a bit of nostalgia to the experience. Its not as detailed as the LP. Next thing you know there will be virtual Audio where you put head phones on and the eye piece and you see the CLX in front of you and think your listening to it in your room. !

I wouldn't say that at all.

CD's continue to slide into obscurity, whereas vinyl is actually enjoying a nice resurgence.:devil:

I'll ALWAYS continue to listen to vinyl, but I have to agree that media-less music delivery is likely the coming trend - and where I will be spending my upgrade money moving forward.

Well, Rich...

rant/

Somebody already said it. Most people -- and that includes avid music consumers -- just don't care about sound quality or even the quality of the music. They download the MP3s from various sources and store them on their hard drives or portable players in highly compressed/lossy formats. Then they blast their tunes directly into their ear canals with terrible sounding "ear buds". And these people are happy. While having a beer after work at a local pub, a co-worker who heard that I'm an audiophile with a substantial system, told me that he listened to a Bose Acoustimass system in Circuit City and thought it was fantastic. I told him that Bose isn't the best way to spend his musical dollar... But if that would help him connect better with his music, then he should buy it -- so desperate are we music lovers to get people into this hobby that I couldn't even bring myself to trash-talk Bose.

Anyway, most consumers have no connection to their music. Each song is simply a packet of data that makes background noise. Ask one of these people to hum the accompaniment, or instrumental lead-in, to that favorite song of theirs that they keep singing the lyrics to. THEY CAN'T [ my opinion: A lot of modern popular music just isn't that interesting "musically" -- might be part of the problem. ]. For me, getting up out of my listening chair to flip an LP is an act of love, not a tedious effort as they would have you believe. The cleaning of the record, stylus and careful handling are joyous events, as is swapping out a CD and gingerly placing it back into it's case.

Using CDs for these people is a damned inconvenience -- they have to get up and change discs every few minutes [ my opinion: very few modern pop artists can create an entire session of good songs. They get famous for 15 minutes with one song, never to be heard of again. When this thought depresses me, I throw one of my many LPs on from talented artists -- today, Journey's Escape album is rockin' the Logans ].

Sound quality is meaningless to these consumers. CD's are overkill for them, where we would argue that many CD's come up short in this regard [ opinion: think about massive amounts of "dynamic compression" that ruins otherwise good music ]. For them, the sound quality is irrelevant and file sizes to large. I really love to bring over friends and acquaintances to my house and blow their minds when they hear what they have been missing all of their lives. Back when I grew up in the 70's and 80's, every home of decent means had a stereo in the family room. It was a sign of accomplishment in life -- an expression of success and demonstration of respect for the finer things in life -- even if their rig was centered around an el-cheapo turntable like a Technics SL-1200 (which sounds better than most audio-snobs think). Those days are long gone.

My computer [ Also could be considered a high-end device: Intel Quad q6700, 4GB RAM, 22" monitor fed by an ATI 4870, 24 bit X-Fi sound card driving a 500 watt Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system ] has more resolution than any system they have ever heard -- and that's sad. My computer system certainly is loud, easily attaining ear-shattering levels, but high fidelity it ain't. But on a brighter note, the whole music server thing is friggin awesome !! Many (336 GB at last count) of my favorite CDs are on my 1 TB external drive in an uncompressed or lossless format like FLAC. Someday that data will get transferred into a nice home server. I absolutely love HDtracks.com and others like it. You get the excellent music, excellent sound quality and instant gratification of shopping in a music store. But this store actually has Classical and Jazz !!

So I say... Let the brick and mortar stores flounder in mediocrity and obsolescence. The RIAA, music production companies (desperately seeking the next big thing and failing miserably), countless talentless artists, and general attitude of not caring about their product have doomed them. Funny thing though... The two stores near here that deal in vinyl are thriving. So I would say that your thread title/hypothesis is wrong -- or a misnomer at best. And that's a beautiful thing.

My 2 cents -- /rant.

~VDR

ps: CCH said it all very profoundly in a different thread:

"That's an interesting question. Like others who have already posted, I have no close friends who are audiophiles (although one is on the edge), and no one of my general acquaintance living in this area would qualify, either. It is interesting to ask what larger trends this phenomenon might be part of. I'm not sure I know the answer, but it is certainly the case that the popularity of most things changes over time. Stamp collecting was still a common hobby when I was a kid, but there are far fewer philatelists today. I have a son who is nineteen, and I don't think he or any of his friends is into cars as was more typical of an earlier generation. Another way of getting at this would be to ask what activities carry status today. It used to be that a young person with a good stereo was the envy of his friends. I doubt that is the case anymore. What other luxury goods are in decline, and what things are replacing them? You've put your finger on a trend, but I suspect that there is more to it than simply the rise of the iPod, although living in a faster paced culture is certainly one piece of the larger puzzle. Another parallel example is the overall decline in reading and in literary standards. On most fronts, our culture has been dumbing down for more than a generation. (Did you happen to see the comparison between Senate speeches following Pearl Harbor and 9/11? The difference in quality was stunning.) Many blame television, and that might well be a good target, but it is a part of something larger, I suspect. Anyway, lots of food for thought here."

Last edited:
CD's have already gone the way of vinyl. I say this based on the fact that Apple's iTunes are the number one music seller in the US. And that is LEGAL digital files. Add in illegal downloads (also in the convenient, digital file format) and wowee.

The convenience of digital files has destroyed the quality arguments of CD in the market place.

CDs (and all optical media (I'm looking at you Blu-Ray)) are a dead-end.

-Allen

Your data is pretty skewed...

According to the RIAA, almost 600 million CD's were sold last year with about 200 million digital downloads and 1 million albums. I would hardly say that the CD has gone the way of the Album.

iTunes is useless to anyone that is serious about music because the file size is only 256kb/sec. Junk on even a moderately good system. All the high res download services continue to struggle.

I'm not saying it's not the wave of the future, but CD isn't ready for burial yet.

And SACD is making a comeback too....
New pressing plant in Japan this year and sales might
exceed a million units this year.

MoFi has about a dozen SACD titles in the works...

Could be another nice alternative to LP for high resolution releases.

Back