Arcing on the Summit panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
I experienced a brief arcing (literal light sparking) on one of my Summit panels when playing a DVD through my Oppo HD-981, via my 48" Samsung LCD TV :eek::eek:. This is not the first time. It happens usually after a DVD has been playing for at least 1/2 hour, and during an intense hard driven pasage. This time it was during Bon Jovi's Lost Highway DVD.

I just received my November issue of The Absolute Sound, and on page 80 there is an article on the Quad 2905's, but also in a sidebar, discusses "How Electrostats Work". It says . . . "this charged, freestanding diaphragm is then sandwiched between two fixed perforated grids called stators, with air gaps (and usually some sort of additional protective spacers) between it and either grid of sufficient width to allow the diaphragms to move freely without actually contacting the stators (this would cause sparking or "arching" and leave burn holes in the plastic membrane)".

This sounds like what is happening to the my Summits.

So, what could be causing this arc on the panel?
Membrane touching the Stators?
Cabling?
The TV itself?
(Note this ONLY has happens when running the Summits an the TV, either by itself, or by playing a DVD).

Is it possible to "over drive" the Summits to the point where, as TAS article states, that the diaphram could be driven to the point it is touching the stator, thus causing the arc?

Has anyone else experienced this arcing on the panel?

Details please.

THANKS!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
ML stators are very well insulated. Arcing should be virtually impossible, even if the fully charged membrane were to be laying against it with the stators at maximum potential.

But all speakers have their limitations. ML speakers tend to sound distorted in a unique way when overdriven. The membrane actually "slaps" the stators making a nasty sound.

As for your "arcing" problem, I would suggest that you very carefully inspect the membranes with a good flashlight and see if there are any burn marks or holes popped in them that might back up your claim. A call to MLs' customer service may be required if you find such evidence.

~VDR

So, what could be causing this arc on the panel?
Details please.

THANKS!

Joe M.

Arcing (as I understand it) is caused by an intense build-up of charge in a localised area, in turn caused by non-uniform coating of the conductive agent.

It sounds like the panels have a fault.

Remember that ‘sparks’ could be seen if a bug or some pollutant got on the membrane and is being fried.

The only time I’ve seen a blue spark was when a small moth got in one of the panels and then I played music loudly. Bzzzt…

Give it a good strong vacuum to ensure the panels are clean, then retest.

Arcing is usually caused by dust or pollutant. The Summit is not usually a big proponent of arcing with the newer micro perf or the clear spars that are much more rigid than the older soft spar design. I would look for holes on the Mylar and clean them with a terry towel dry. If they are in a basement that is humid that will not help either. Most of all I would call Jim Power and get it straitened around as they are under warranty.

I would like to se a video of this hapenning . is there a way to set up a camera and uplaod the video to another site and post the link here possibly??? this would be very interesting

Update

I would like to se a video of this hapenning . is there a way to set up a camera and uplaod the video to another site and post the link here possibly??? this would be very interesting

Well the good news is that I will be receiving a pair of replacement Summits hopefully by the end of the week. (Probably one of the last pairs ever made). They have been at my dealers warehouse for a few weeks while I sought out a power conditioner to prevent any damage from electrical issues in my home, which may have been causing some of the problems with the Summits. I can't know for sure.

Any way, I bought a Shunyata Hydra 8 for the Summits, Cary SLP-03 pre amp, CDP, and HD TV. I also bought a Shunyata Pro 2 for the Sanders amp. Just to take it another step, I purchased ALL new cables from Frank at Signal Cable. They arrived today. I'm very impressed with the looks of these cables - power, RCA and balanced IC's and speaker cable. Very solidly built. Now tomorrow I'm supposed to take delivery of a Salamander triple, to replace my twin. Once that's together, I piece the entire system together and give it a listen before the new Summits arrive. That should allow me to check out the new stuff before I have to break in a new pair of Summits!

Regarding the arcing, it's like someone took a flash picture from behind the speaker, but only visible in a foot and a half circle maximum. Very intense and very fast. As fast as the music :D

I checked out the panel with a flash light and see no damage at all. Personally I hope to never see that again! :eek:

JM

PS: Fish Man . . . . VERY, VERY nice system!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back