Apple TV?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_tinker

Reaction score
Folks,
I had some fun today... I am visting Salt Lake City to see the parents-in-law. My wife and I were out driving around town and I saw a high end audio video store and had to stop. They carried some nice stuff, RBH, Paradigm, Anthem, Marantz etc. Just fun to drool anyway. I asked the salesman if he was familiar with Squeezeboxes at all, but he was not. I explained what it was, and he suggested for the same or similar price to check out the Apple TV. So as soon as I got back here, I checked it out. It seems like it could potentially be a nice gadget, but as always it is nice to talk to someone who either owns one or has used one enough to be familiar with its workings and quirks.

I noticed that it does not use FLAC, but it does apple lossless, and WAV. It also only does the Mp4 and MOV video files. Not sure, but I think if I did video files it would probably be the mpeg2 files from my home movies mostly, with maybe some avi's and divx and other smallish files I have on my computer.

I don't think I would often put entire movies on it to watch from there, that is what my DVD player is for, though the convenience may be the real draw here.

So maybe the audio only Squeezebox may end up being the better choice for me if I do decide to go with a network media player of any kind. Though someone here in another thread mentioned something about the Helios video player, I look forward to reading about that, it looks very interesting.

-capT

If you are wanting just mp3/ apple lostless check out the apple airport express. Wireless signal from your computer (of course if you had wireless card) and plays through either stereo-RCA or toslink. Runs $100 at apple/ bestbuy/ apple authorized. Video quality on appleTV is minimal to crappy.
Nik

Back