Apollo or Transport/DAC?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
As you can see I'm new around these parts and have been very greatful for the help everyone has given me. I've just started putting a system together with a set of Puritys and a Mac C220. Now it's CD player time! So what is a better route if I want to spend $1200 - 1500? I was thinking Rega Apollo straight up or cheap transport like the Oppo and a Benchmark DAC1 to go along with it. Or I could go with the Rotel 1072 then get a good DAC later. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

If you can stretch your budget to $2K used (approx $3-3.5K new), you can find some amazing single box cd players such as Ayre CX 7e and Naim. The cd players really hit the sweet spot at that price range.

I was looking at an Apollo or a Cambridge 840C last year when Dave recommended the Ayre CX-7e. I listened to all three extensively. As you can see below, I ended up buying a used Ayre.

If you have a CDP budget of up to $2K, used Ayres are within reach.

BTW, Thanks Again, Dave!

I have had a chance to do a direct comparison of both of the units you are looking at. The Apollo blew the Oppo/DAC1 combo away for sound quality.

The Jolida JD100 with non-stock tubes sounds much more pleasing to the ears than the Apollo I replaced, FYI. They are about the same price. ;)

Here's another vote for a used Ayre. Unless of course you are planning to get a Squeezebox or other music server at some stage - at which point a DAC would come in handy. If you're looking at the Benchmark DAC1, you'll also be able to get (for the same money?) a used Musical Fidleity TriVista - do a comparison!!

The Ayre looks like a definite winner. That might be the one! If I do get the Ayre, does it matter if it received the Evolution update or should I look for one that was Evolution out of the box? Or am I making any sense?

The Ayre looks like a definite winner. That might be the one! If I do get the Ayre, does it matter if it received the Evolution update or should I look for one that was Evolution out of the box? Or am I making any sense?

You definitely want to get an evolution unit, if not right away, then eventually. It has excellent power supply enhancements. If you find a non-evolution unit for a good price, go for it. You can always send it in to Ayre for an upgrade.

Enjoy!

Echoing David's advice. Definitely think about a CX-7e, i.e. with the Evolution upgrade. I was able to audition a CX-7 vs. the CX-7e, side-by-side in my home before I purchased. Overall, significantly better articulation at all parts of the frequency spectrum, also much better bass impact and bass details (when there is bass on the recording).

One thing to keep in mind. Last I checked (Sept., 2007) an Evolution upgrade costs closer to $600 for a CX-7 by the time the costs of shipping and a proper shipping carton are factored in. This means that one must find a CX-7 for close to $1400 in order to keep the total cost at $2K. I don't think that there are many to be found at such a price. Used CX-7e's can be found at or slightly less than $2K. Mine was $1995.

All The Best, whatever you decide!

Thanks guys! The Ayre looks like a great piece. I've taken a look at it and have done a little research on Ayre. I love good equipment built in the states! I'll probably get one used on Audiogon in a little while and definitely get the Evolution model or at least one that was updated.

Thanks again for the advice!

I have had a chance to do a direct comparison of both of the units you are looking at. The Apollo blew the Oppo/DAC1 combo away for sound quality.

this comparison was done at my house in my rig, with my Sequels and my Oppo/Benchmark setup. Tom brought his Apollo up for the afternoon, and we compared the two digital front-ends to each other. We also compared them both against my Apple Airport Express, streaming Apple lossless files wireless to the Benchmark.

Needless to say, the streaming audio fell far short of the Apollo AND the Oppo/Benchmark rigs. It wasn't hideous, just flat and a little rolled off in the high end. OK for "background music" which is what I use it for mostly (when we have friends over, or have parties, etc). That setup is more for convenience than for critical listening.

The Apollo does have a VERY different sound than the Oppo/Benchmark setup. It has that distinctive "Brit kit" sound--VERY detailed and high resolution, laid back but engaging presentation, and a VERY 3-d soundstage--deep, wide, and high. (It sort of reminded me of the Meridian 208 I ued to own) The Apollo is a VERY sweet-sounding CD player, and compliments Martin Logan speakers well. However, I thought that like the MLs, it was a little soft in the bass on some recordings. But overall, it was a VERY smooth, musical, and "live" sounding CD player.

The Benchmark I have is the one optimized for video--the DV-981-HD. It does an ASOUNDING job at upscaling regular DVDs to my 1080p/120hz Toshiba LCD TV, and it does a respectable job playing CDs (redbook and SACD) on it's own, and with the Benchmark (as a transport, feeding PCM), it's performance on Redbook CDs is VERY good--perhaps better than anything else in the under $1000 range. It is highly detailed, has a very dimensional soundstage, and has nice, tightly-defined and musical bass. It's not as ultra-detailed as the Apollo, I'll admit, and the soundstage seemed a little compressed in comparison too. It also was a little more "up front" and "in your face" in presentation than the Apollo.

I dig that Brit sound, and on a lot of music, I think that the Apollo was the hands-down winner in our comparison, but the Oppo/Benchmark combo is certainly no slouch, and it gives you the added bonus of being able to use the Benchmark with several other digital sources (mine has 4 inputs--BNC AES-SPDIF, Toslink, BNC balanced, and USB), plus the Oppo will play Redbook, SACD and HDCD's, AND it plays DVDs and does an astounding job at 1080p upconversion.

The Apollo (for about the same price) plays Redbook CDs only. But it does do that one thing VERY well. I hate to admit it, but it IS better than my Oppo/Benchmark combo. :bowdown:

Tom and I pretty much agreed point-for-point in this comparison, which made him very happy, and left me a little bummed, as far as CD playback in my rig. An interesting note--we ran his Apollo through the Benchmark briefly, and I preferred the Apollo as a transport feeding the Benchmark, whereas Tom preferred the Apollo's own analogue outputs. As a transport, the Apollo was VERY impressive to my ears. It had an alomost Krell-like level of detail and resolution, but somehow retained a little of that warm, smooth Brit sound. Very nice...

I haven't heard the Oppo that is more optimized for audio playback (the DV-980-H)--perhaps it makes a better transport than my unit.

I'm probably going to be adding a Sony BluRay player (BDP-S1) into the mix sometime this week, and we'll see how the Oppo stacks up against a $999 player (original retail--I'm not paying that though)--the up-conversion on the Sony BluRay is VERY impressive. I'm interested to see how the Oppo (at 1/5 the price of the Sony) holds up. However, I already know that the Sony BluRay will lose against the Oppo for music--it does not read music CDs at all, even for outputting PCM for outboard D/A conversion It ONLY plays DVD and BluRay discs...

--Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed comparison review Dreamer. I still have some time to consider what cd player I'm going to purchase. It's going to be between the RegaApollo and the Ayre CX-7E. It just depends on how long it takes to hold out before I go crazy and buy one. If I want to get it soon it will be the Apollo but if I can hold out I'll do the Ayre. Thanks again!

The Apollo will be much better as a transport - and a cheap transport will introduce error-correction and error-concealment artifacts that no DAC can smooth out. Once a fault creeps in, it stays in.
Best to keep the top of the chain as pure as possible.
I've got a Rega Planet 2000 as a transport, it sounds much better through the same DAC when compared to lower-quality players.

I'd go Apollo.:rocker:

I haven't tried the Apollo or the Ayre, but I have the Oppo 970HD (the predecessor of the 980, and noted by several reviewers to be slightly better for audio than the 981)/Benchmark DAC1 combo. I second Dreamer's comments about the Oppo/Benchmark characteristics, while adding that I find the combo in my system to be very revealing. If the recording is bad, the combo will reveal all the bad characteristics. If the recording is good, the combo will let it shine. The Benchmark greatly improves the bass of the Oppo, while taking none of its good qualities away.

I like the versatility that the Benchmark gives me. I anticipate getting a Squeezebox in the near future, and a dedicated music server in the long term. If I do replace the Benchmark, it will be with either a higher-end DAC or a CD player with digital inputs to allow it to be used as a DAC, such as the Cambridge Azur 840C or Cary 306/200.

Latest posts

Back