Anyone Re-visited ICEpower amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adanny

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

Have been reading this forum and AVS. It sounds like there was a lot of debate on ICEpower here till about 1-2 years back with consensus that technology was very good for Bass, good to very good for mid range but not ready for show time for the highest frequencies. Reading AVSforums more recently (especially the views of experienced posters such as Kal Rubinson and Zissou), it sounds like BelCanto, Wyred 4 Sound and D-sonic have improved a lot. Many listeners are convinced that the technology is starting to sound as good as the best $10k solid state amps, especially for mid range.

Some of you will remember that I am trying to determine which multi channel amp to upgrade to, and many of you have provided terrific advice. I had basically decided on the Theta D II (available on closeout for under $4k with 225w x 3 and 100w x 4; 7 channel configuration). Now I am wondering if I should re-consider the new Icepower amps. It would be nice to test both but thats a $10k test!

Have any ML owners heard the latest generation Class D ICEpower amps? The power-to-price ratio is starting to look very attractive. For about the same as a Theta D II (i.e. under $4k), one can also get a
A. Wyred 4 Sound (500w x 3; 250w x 4): http://www.wyred4sound.com
B. D-Sonic Magnum 2500 (500w x 3; 250w x 4): (http://www.d-sonic.net/

I know the general view among ML owners is against Class D's. I have also read as many of the old threads on this topic as I could but couldnt find recent, actual in-system testing.

Would love to hear more...

Hi Folks:

Have been reading this forum and AVS. It sounds like there was a lot of debate on ICEpower here till about 1-2 years back with consensus that technology was very good for Bass, good to very good for mid range but not ready for show time for the highest frequencies. Reading AVSforums more recently (especially the views of experienced posters such as Kal Rubinson and Zissou), it sounds like BelCanto, Wyred 4 Sound and D-sonic have improved a lot. Many listeners are convinced that the technology is starting to sound as good as the best $10k solid state amps, especially for mid range.

Some of you will remember that I am trying to determine which multi channel amp to upgrade to, and many of you have provided terrific advice. I had basically decided on the Theta D II (available on closeout for under $4k with 225w x 3 and 100w x 4; 7 channel configuration). Now I am wondering if I should re-consider the new Icepower amps. It would be nice to test both but thats a $10k test!

Have any ML owners heard the latest generation Class D ICEpower amps? The power-to-price ratio is starting to look very attractive. For about the same as a Theta D II (i.e. under $4k), one can also get a
A. Wyred 4 Sound (500w x 3; 250w x 4): http://www.wyred4sound.com
B. D-Sonic Magnum 2500 (500w x 3; 250w x 4): (http://www.d-sonic.net/

I know the general view among ML owners is against Class D's. I have also read as many of the old threads on this topic as I could but couldnt find recent, actual in-system testing.

Would love to hear more...

Are you looking for one amp (one box) for all of the channels?

That limits your options as many great companies offer some stellar 2 channel amps. Names like Pass and Sanders come to mind.

Sunfire is also a well-used brand on this forum and they do offer multichannel amps. This company's amps are known to deliver gobs of current when needed.

Erik

Are you looking for one amp (one box) for all of the channels?

That limits your options as many great companies offer some stellar 2 channel amps. Names like Pass and Sanders come to mind.

Sunfire is also a well-used brand on this forum and they do offer multichannel amps. This company's amps are known to deliver gobs of current when needed.

Erik

I am open to multiple boxes but:
a) Keen to keep the same type of amp across all 7 channels. zEspecially the front 3 channels but ideally all 3.
b) Not keen to spend more than $4-5k across all channels

That essentially eliminates Pass and Sanders

I bought my Bel Canto eVo4 just this fall, used. I know it's Tripath not ICE, but FWIW here's what I've noticed:

Overall sound--pleasant, clean, good control of my nasty impedance curve Sequel II's, unobtrusive. As you can see, nice, but no "wow."

In bridged mono, 360 wpc reduced loud volume top end grain noticeably. Nothing can beat cubic inches.

Stays really cool even when rockin' da house.

Can be left on all the time with minimal power draw.

This in comparison to my old Classe Seventy, for which I got a much better appreciation once I bought the eVo 4. The Seventy is only 75 wpc, but is a high current true double down, so exactly what my Sequel II's needed. I was expecting more of a change with the Bel Canto than I've actually seen. I'm not selling the Seventy just yet.

agreed, no wow at all...

Though I really like my Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 with other speakers.

Perhaps some of Vinnie's secret is low power and getting it off the grid. It's certainly the most musical chip amp I've experienced.

I've yet to hear one that I really care for at all, and they were thick on the ground at the last few RMAF's. Pretty much as described by others above, nice on some speakers, atrocious on others, but never any sense of real musical involvement for me.

everyone likes the chip amps, because it doesn't take much to make one...

build a power supply, put it in a box that's pretty much it.

Though I am curious to see what Levinson has up their sleeve for $15k....

There are tons of class D amp's I've heard, and tons that I have not. Of those, my two favorites have been the: H2O Signature 100 amplifier ($2000) and the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 ($2600 for the amp, $3000 for the integrate).

Pretty looks. Awesome build. Typical ICE sound. Clean, transparent, tight and powerful bass with a surprisingly smooth top end. Exciting to listen to at first due to technical accomplishments, but once the moonlight is over you end up realizing that they sound more like hi-fi and less like music.

Back