Anyone like the Grateful Dead on this site?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
Are there any deadheads on this site? I just picked up the Egypt '78 Rocking the Cradle cd, and it’s the best recording I have heard yet from the Dead. The band is pretty good, but not great, by their standards - 4/5. The songs that stand out are Minglewood, Stella Blue, and Fire on the Mountain. It must have been really freaking hearing Shakedown Street in the middle of the desert next to the pyramids.

Also, I recently picked up Dick’s Picks 29 (available on dead.net). It’s 6 CD’s of amazing music from maybe the best tour the band ever did in May of 1977. The 16 + minute version of Sugaree on Disk 1 sets the tone for the 2 shows. If anyone wants to understand what the Dead are all about must hear this song.

thanks for the suggestion. and hello fellow dead head. I have been a fan for a while since about 95. I think the dead sounds great on my logans

While I wouldn't consider myself a Dead Head, I am really starting to warm up to their music in my old age! I didn't really love Dylan till I hit 40, so I guess I'm just a late bloomer...

Dave,

Thanks for the information.

I am a Dead fan, but not a Dead Head per se. I have a buddy that is a true believer and he has some amazing reel to reels of live performances. He brought over a triple CD of a "soundboard" recording that was pretty impressive. I still love spinning my mofi American Beauty, but he certainly has proved there is a lot of fine material well worth running down.

I have heard nothing but good comments about the Live in Egypt and your recommendation just moved it up on my "must buy" list.

As others stated I am also finding myself liking them more and more as I get ancient and they are a treat through Logans!!

Wellllll I Was on tour from '85-'87 and we did go on mini tour for our honeymoon in spring of '93 sooooooooo,whaddya think?
and yeah those Egypt discs are incredible

Dave,

The Grateful Dead is great stuff, I got see 7 shows back in the early 90's. Long concerts usually 3-4 hours sometimes longer! If you like live recordings "Without a Net" has some geat stuff including a couple of favs "Looks like Rain" and "Athea"! I also like "Dead Set" with "Candyman" and "Little Red Rooster"

Go Broncos!

Mark

Great memories...I attended about a dozen or so shows in the 90's, including the last show in Chicago.... The more one listens to the music, the more one gets appreciate it. I never cared for it, being a hard core classic rock guy, but my brother played it all of the time, and I got hit by the thunderbolt. I still jam every week anywhere between 4-5 hours of just the Dead on my system.

As for the recordings, the studio recordings have been remastered and sound awesome. However, the studio recordings don't have the improvisation magic of the live shows. Many of the live shows, such as the Dick's Picks series, were not captured with the best recording equipment, so they are not audiophile grade (there are exceptions), but musically they are awesome.

The first from the vault appropriately titled "One From The Vault" is definitely audiophile quality. I use it as a reference, I also kick myself for passing it up on vinyl several years back

I heard a cut from the Egypt cd on the CLX's in Pompano and it sounded mighty good. As to what the song was, I dunno and will check with the guy who brought it along.

PS: I've seen the Dead twice, but am not a big fan.

While I enjoyed the music in it's time, I never was enough of a fan to acquire any of their albums. I did really like the album cover artwork and some of Garcia's other creations. I do have a collection of Greatful Dead ties, derived from album cover artwork.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back