Anyone heard the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and Transport?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
There has been a lot of buzz (mostly on the PS Audio website) about the PerfectWave digital duo. I have not seen any legitimate reviews of this equipment. It is allegedly the only current set up other than a computer that can play the new Hi-Rez 176.4 stuff without down-rezzing.
The idea of being able to output music from buffered memory instead of a physical disc has been kicked around since a number of audiophiles have noted that an exact copy of CD downloaded to a computer hard drive sounded better than the actual disc.
Would be interested in getting opinions from those out there who have actually heard these components played through a decent system.

Tony has them - Audiophile Utopia Chatswood Sydney. Brief listen within context of PS Audio to Herron preamp to YBA monster amp to Focus Audio. Good sound but I have never heard a bad setup in Tony's shop.

Kevin

Last edited:
Well, half of it anyway… I auditioned the PWT paired with a Berkeley Alpha for a few days last week and was really impressed. About on par with my Denon/Modwright 3910, which is a fantastic player when paired with an analog preamp, but which doesn't work as well with a new, digital preamp.

I ended up buying the PWT, but I’m holding off on the DAC until I can audition the PWD and Weiss Minerva/DAC2.

I heard it today at RMAF, and was impressed despite myself. I auditioned a few systems with the Nova Physic memory player, which has the same kind of read until right technology, and wasn't ever impressed with any of them. So I was expecting maybe this was more hype than not, and I really didn't think PS Audio was going to make a DAC that was worth a darn anyway. So I was expecting to be underwhelmed when I sat down to listen to their system. But it sounded really good to me. Very natural. I would like to spend a little more time with it, but first impressions were very positive.

I agree with Rich. I heard the exact same setup yesterday at RMAF through a set of Focus Audio speakers as well as in the Analysis Audio room and was very impressed. Obviously this was under show conditions, and there was no way to compare it against anything else as they were set up. Still, I'd love to audition the pair at home.

Last edited:
I listened today with Rich and for me they sounded great, no "electronic" sound, but very musical and, dare I say, analogue-like? I was impressed.

Ditto at the Analysis Audio room at RMAF.

The overall presentation sounded somewhat warm but my guess is that it was not the fault of PS Audio gear.

GG

One of the niftier tricks the PWT will perform is direct-from-DVD-R playback of RR's HRx recordings (vs. from server file). One of only a couple of transports which will perform this feat, IIRC. Last night I gave Exotic Dances from the Opera a spin and it was simply stunning.

Back