Anyone heard the Magnepan 3.6/R ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
I did -- this weekend in a private residence. Excluding the sub-40 Hz region, I stand impressed, butthey lacked some bottom end solidity and impact. They throw a wide and deep soundstage that is very electrostatic-like. They also image very, very well and don't seem to smear voices or otherwise interfere with the music.

I generally do not like box speakers (with the exception of my neighbors' Rowland/Thiel 7.2's that blow my rig away), so I am somewhat biased here. Has any one here had experience with Maggies ?? What did you feel about them ??

Just trying to get some thoughts from the forum....

~VDR

I owned a few sets in my day! They were not as current but none the less they were Maggies with Ribbons. I heard the flagship 20.1 with the exact amps and same room as the Summits and they could not hold a candle to the Summits in my book. They were almost in the way of them selves. The 3.6 series has always been my favorite from Magnepan. They are better at what they are supposed to do than the 20.1. Except the bass area which the 20.1 do go lower.

Puss I cant handle the sheet of plywood with grill cloth standing on edge in my room ! Although the CLS are rather large they are a bit more transparent to the eye !

I owned MGIIIa's up until recently in my second system, and their ribbon (replaced 5 years ago) was far superior to my Odysseys. I listened to the 3.6R's once in a dealer's room with Goldmund electronics and was blown away. Overall, I consider them a better speaker than my Odysseys, but they are not as dynamic, the bass is not as punchy and I can't deal with their size, plus they need a sub. And a sub may not be that simple to use either; for example, with the MGIIIa's and a forward firing sub with the cone 2 ft from the ground, the sub (an Entec - anyone remember these?) was ripping the ribbon apart - I had to raise the speakers (other option would have been a downward firing sub).

Last edited:
I have heard the 3.6's demoed in the same room with ML speakers, and while the Maggies are quite good and one of the few speakers I have liked that were not ML's (owned a pair of MG-I's and SMGc's), I always felt that the ML's were clearer and less colored in the midrange.

Like most things in this hobby it boils down to personal preference. They are good speakers, and have a devoted following. From what have read at times in Audio Asylum, Maggie owners are even more fierce in defense of their speakers than ML owners. :eek:

Chuck

Our guy in Seattle has them. Very nice speakers. They don't seem to be as dynamic as the Summits, but they do a killer job with upper bass that the Summits do not.

(fortunately this problem is solved with the CLX)

Personally as someone who listens to a lot of rock music, I prefer the summits because they will blast a lot better than the 3.6 or 20.1. But our guy in Seattle has a bit more laid back musical taste than me, and his system sounds fantastic with the music he likes....

And, yes the Magnepan people are fiercely devoted to their speaker, you should not question that anything else even exists to a Magnepan owner!

Definitely a flat earth mentality.

Why would one not own and like both, Logans and Maggies? They have much in common.

I knew Maggies before I knew Logans, and always thought that while Logans do many things better, Maggies have a certain natural earthiness to their sound that I like a lot. (Don't know how to say it better in a short way.)

Yesterday I bought a pair of MG 1.6s.

3.6s look a lot better and sound a little better than 1.6s. The also cost 2.6x more over here (6500 vs 2600 - Euros!).

Why would one not own and like both, Logans and Maggies? They have much in common.
Absolutely! Not that I've seen anyone bashing Maggies or anything. They're some sweet speakers. IMO their $500 speakers (or are the $550 now?) are the best half a grand you could spend in audio.

I knew Maggies before I knew Logans, and always thought that while Logans do many things better, Maggies have a certain natural earthiness to their sound that I like a lot. (Don't know how to say it better in a short way.)

Yesterday I bought a pair of MG 1.6s.

Ex Maggie guy here as well, and I agree, set up correctly (including proper "tamming" of the ribbon tweeter on my 3.6's) they are very easy to fall in love with.

Congrats on the 1.6's ! .....mated with the right amplification and a good sub they are without a doubt one superb speaker not only at their price point but way beyond it !!

I have heavily upgraded mg12's. They are not as smooth or 3d as the logans. They do not have that magical sound my requests do. But after 10 years they still sound like new... no issues with dust, cleaning, etc.

Latest posts

Back