Any 'Sporting Clays' shooters ???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Gents.........I've been bitten.........by the shooting game known as 'Sporting Clays'. I knew it would happen, tried to avoid it for the past couple of years but a buddy of mine got me out while back home a couple of weeks ago at his club and I am 'hooked' !

Any other 'shot gunners' on the forum ??

Over the years I've shot most disciplines of center fire rifle and done my fair share of upland game and 'wing' shooting. FWIW, I didn't set the world on fire my first time out....18 out of 50 ! but that was with my grouse gun (Browning Citouri O/U, 20ga, 24" barrel, english stock). I now have tucked away in my safe a nice used Browning 'Lightning Sporting clays', 12ga, 30" barrel. I can't wait till this heat wave breaks so I can get out and 'break some birds' !

So.........anyone else share my new found passion ??????/

Last edited:
Dave, I have shot trap in the past 4 or 5 times , I really liked it that is why I stayed away:D. Did'nt need another hobby at the time or a 5000 dollar shotgun. My wife and I are pretty active pistol shooters at our local range. God help the poor intruder that breaks into our house while I am away ( my wife is a better shot than I am)
Keep us up to date as your new passion consumes you!!! new guns, shooting glasses, ect ect ect ect:eek: good luck, let us know when you need an intervention.

I do enjoy skeet shooting. But Dave, if you really want to get hooked on something, you should try some Cowboy Action Shooting. You get to dress up like a cowboy, shoot single action pistols, lever action rifles, as well as shotguns, and it is competitive as all get out. You shoot a couple of dozen rounds per stage from pistols, rifle and shotgun, at multiple targets both near and far (in a preordained sequence), while under the clock. So you have to remember the shooting order, shoot accurately, and do it fast.

Check out the Single Action Shooting Society for more info and see if there is an active group near you. Looks like you have over a dozen affiliated groups up in PA. Even if you don't participate, it is a blast to watch.

a 5000 dollar shotgun. .

Larry, I was shocked at what one can spend on a 'smooth bore'.....serious five figures !! and they think us audiofools are nuts !

Rich, I've watched the single action crowd on the outdoor channel on TV, it is a great venue for sure. I no longer shoot competitive bench rest so I suspect I'll be quite content with clays shooting.

Air rifles, English and German Break barrels! .177 to .25 cal

Dave, I completely mis-read the topic. I was certain you were talking about competetive ceramics. I'm a demon at the potters wheel. Nothing more to contribute here...

Air rifles, English and German Break barrels! .177 to .25 cal

Olympic air pistol shooting. Have a Steyr LP-10 and still owns our National Record here in Costa Rica. Just went to the Centroamericanos and Caribe at Puerto Rico two weeks ago. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Olympic air pistol shooting. Have a Steyr LP-10 and still owns our National Record here in Costa Rica. Just went to the Centroamericanos and Caribe at Puerto Rico two weeks ago. Happy listening,
Roberto.
Very Cool. I don't shoot the pistols but rather the break barrels . Venom Arms out of England and Webley are a few I have. I have a fer HW guns. Diana too.
I build them and hunt with the larger Calibers.. Some over 30 ft lbs

Hey - congratulations!

Thanks but I did not do very well at Puerto Rico. I will do it next time, I will prepare myself better. Being a grandpa and still doing an Olympic sport is something very nice. The good thing on air pistol, is that there is no age for this sport. If you train, you will see the scores. If you do not train, you will see that too in your scores... thanks again. You can see my LP-10 at www.steyr-sportwaffen.com
Happy listening,
Roberto.

I have been shooting sporting clays for about 20 years was one of the guys that set up a course at my old club. I also like my doubles straight stocked. I enjoy the variations of shots that simulate hunting conditions. have fun Dave and 18 is not too bad for a first time. dont be the guy asking to see one, then whipping out his electric screwdriver changing his choke tubes at every station.

have fun Dave and 18 is not too bad for a first time. dont be the guy asking to see one, then whipping out his electric screwdriver changing his choke tubes at every station.

Can't believe it's been over a month since I first shot.......anyways I finally got out this morning and shot a 22, I was with some real experts, one of which shot a '49' !

Ken, no changing choke tubes yet for me, for know I'm just sticking with 'Skeet' in the bottom tube and 'IC' in the top.

Well as an update.......man-o-man am I ever hooked on this......shot my best round to date this morning....a 37 ! I know full well that breaking forty is going to be tough but this is a 'blast'...literally !!

Doubling your score is reason for celebration, I havent spent a lot of time with my shotguns lately heavy into archery nice thing about the longbow is you dont have to clean it everytime you shoot it. and the Ammo is reueable.

Never shot Bow Ken, my Bro-in-law got a nice 300# black bear a few years back with a long bow, not to mention several nice bucks. He's a dedicated long bow hunter.

Thanks Ken, I'll do that. I haven't (yet) started to reload my hulls, while I've reloaded for my center fire rifles for years I don't have a shotshell press. I'll be keeping my eye out for a nice used one, untill then I've been lucky at 'Dick's' and grab up the Remington Gun Club loads when they come on sale for less than 5 dollars a box.

Back