Any new ML models in 2014?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemonty

Reaction score
Hi - just wondered if anyone had any insight (or rumour) on potential new Reserve series models for 2014? I was wondering if there'd be a Super Summit or similar?

Cheers!
Che

Hi - just wondered if anyone had any insight (or rumour) on potential new Reserve series models for 2014? I was wondering if there'd be a Super Summit or similar?

Cheers!
Che

Well, I'm hoping there'll be a Statement e3, let's call it.

What sort of a high-end company has a range that tops out at the CLX price?

No - I couldn't afford it - and nor could most people on the forum, but that's not the point. It is a marketing tool - a "statement" if you like - and an opportunity for trickle-down technology.

Just a few more days to the 2014 CES, so if there is any major news, that's when it will come out.

That said, I'm not expecting anything significant at the show. The line-up seems fairly complete at this point. Is there a specific price point or feature-set that's not covered?

As for a new 'statement' piece, I'd not expect one until the world economic situation is vastly improved. Event the CLX is outside the reach of many 'rich' audiophiles.

There is also a question of size. Just how much bigger than a CLX can most rooms fit?

For a model above the CLX, I'd expect some or all of the following:
- Total system integration via active crossovers with in-built room-EQ
- Supplied with 2 or 4 subs that work off the active speaker processor
- Direct-drive High-voltage ESL amps (no audio step up transformer) Options for tubes or SS versions
- Slightly reconfigured CLX ESL elements in new frames

Thant could easily get one into the >$50K club and deliver demonstrably superior performance to a plain CLX based system where owners/dealers randomly assemble amps, subs, etc.

The key to true higher performance is going to lie in using direct-drive HV amps driving the panels directly. So they need to go all-active.

I would really like to see a new CLS. Something more simple and cheaper then CLX. One-way broadband ESL trying to reach more affordable price point maybe less than $10.000. Give up on trying to reach low frequencies but keep large panel size which creates unique sound field and accuracy, subs can always be added as required and many people do anyway.

I'm holding out for an updated Summit replacement, with a DSP crossover (and ideally, built in room EQ which includes a variant of the PBK). Unfortunately, I don't think they'll have anything like that in the works for 2014.

Big speakers are so passé. How about a pair of true electrostatic headphones similar to Stax?

I was hoping also for a DSP Summit, or something between Summit and Montis perhaps

Guys, we are ALWAYS working on stuff and there has been lots of pie in the sky discussions, conjecture from idle chatter, etc. All that i can officially say without getting killed is that we have a pretty good plan covering the near future. Never as fast as anyone wishes but some dreams do come true with patience. Now that we have success in many different areas, product development boys have never been busier. A 3rd record year of business keeps the multi-directional candle burning at all ends.

Just a few more days to the 2014 CES, so if there is any major news, that's when it will come out.

That said, I'm not expecting anything significant at the show. The line-up seems fairly complete at this point. Is there a specific price point or feature-set that's not covered?

As for a new 'statement' piece, I'd not expect one until the world economic situation is vastly improved. Event the CLX is outside the reach of many 'rich' audiophiles.

There is also a question of size. Just how much bigger than a CLX can most rooms fit?

For a model above the CLX, I'd expect some or all of the following:
- Total system integration via active crossovers with in-built room-EQ
- Supplied with 2 or 4 subs that work off the active speaker processor
- Direct-drive High-voltage ESL amps (no audio step up transformer) Options for tubes or SS versions
- Slightly reconfigured CLX ESL elements in new frames

Thant could easily get one into the >$50K club and deliver demonstrably superior performance to a plain CLX based system where owners/dealers randomly assemble amps, subs, etc.

The key to true higher performance is going to lie in using direct-drive HV amps driving the panels directly. So they need to go all-active.

Now this I would want to see, from the capabilities of the current CLX when well matched and installed this could be the ultimate, especially if ML can add a bit more flesh to to body of notes which is IMO only where they lose out ever so slightly..

... A 3rd record year of business keeps the multi-directional candle burning at all ends.

Peter, that's great to hear, as nothing fuels R&D like increasing revenues. I'm looking forward to hearing what's cooking.

I'd like to see ML provide some competition to HiFiman and Stax in the headphone space with some ESL cans.

I hope you all have a great time at CES and get some good press (and business).

The boom box :p is called the Crescendo, has both AirPlay and Bluetooth compatible and features the expected ATF tweeters paired with two oval bass drivers. Expected price is $1,000.

Styling is nice for a single unit system.

Pics from another site:

IMG_8453-2005-800-534-90-wm-right_bottom-100-ssnwatermark2png.jpg

IMG_8456-2006-800-534-90-wm-right_bottom-100-ssnwatermark2png.jpg

a couple of corrections: $899 retail, single oval woofer, Ethernet/DLNA compatible, also piece of wire and optical input. Should have enough ways to get music into it. has a sub output with reeq for the unit when used for flatter response when used with a woofer. Single woofer as it is silly to do two smaller woofers when they can only be a couple of inches apart so a dual voice coil oval woofer gave us bigger surface area, better bass. I am pleased with its sound. It in not the typical cloth wrapped suppository that so many of them look like. Not a plastic cabinet so has some heft.
Yes, we had some intentions to show some other things at at the show, but we need them to be right before we launch. More toys in the pipeline. Good show, mulitchannel Montis package for the fun of it, the bigger Motions sound great for that class of goods.

Thanks for the updates Peter, the price for the Concerto is reasonable, and good to hear it has all the expected network playback support. Nice to see the clever sub support as well. You might consider some bundles of Concerto+Dynamo for an attractive price, could get me to buy one for the wife ;)

Thanks for the updates Peter, the price for the Concerto is reasonable, and good to hear it has all the expected network playback support. Nice to see the clever sub support as well. You might consider some bundles of Concerto+Dynamo for an attractive price, could get me to buy one for the wife ;)
I see that they come in wood and black. How about other colours to appeal more to the young generation.

This could be a very serious first entry...

Hmm. Only $300 more than the Bose Soundtouch 30. Looks much nicer than the Bose.

My thought exactly. So now ML is competing with Bose? Sigh. Can't say I didn't see this coming. And I don't usually disagree with Jonfo, but how can the price be considered reasonable? I don't care how nice it looks, it is still basically a compact wifi speaker. Almost a grand for that? I don't think so. But then I thought the Bose crap has been way overpriced for the past two decades, and they seem to be doing fine. So what do I know?

Back