Any benefit to bi-amping vs bi-wiring Spires?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnin17

Reaction score
So I am new. Just purchased a pair of Spires and have been looking around at how I would like to power the beasts.

I have an Onkyo SR805 as a processor > Emotiva UPA5 > custom DIY speaker cables (for now anyway).

I previously (well currently) had def tech mains (that will be moved to the back as surrounds), def tech center channel and def tech bookshelf speakers for surrounds.

I am trying to figure out if bi-amping my new Spires by using a total of 4 channels on the UPA5 is at all beneficial to the sound. I am thinking no since the woofer section has a dedicated amp. I will run the two surround speakers from my Onkyo 805.

Again, I am just really starting out in building up my system. Granted it will likely be awhile before I am "allowed" to purchase any new gear :D Any help is great appreciated.

Hola and congratulations. You have one of the best sounding ML speakers. There is no sound benefit bi-wire them. You can try and listen for a change in sound if you want to try it. They have four speakers connectors because you might have bi-wire cables previously. Biware!!!= you can not bi-amp them!!!. You have an internal digital power amplfier built in, and you can not bypass it!!! You can burn or cause serious damage to your Spires if you do it!... just use your Emotiva power amp as main amplifier and enjoy the worderful sound of ML. From the preamp out put of your Onkyo, front L & R go to your Emotiva inputs and you are done. Adjust the speaker's level at your Onkyo setup in speakers configution section. That's it! Enjoy and happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola and congratulations. You have one of the best sounding ML speakers. There is no sound benefit bi-wire them. You can try and listen for a change in sound if you want to try it. They have four speakers connectors because you might have bi-wire cables previously. Biware!!!= you can not bi-amp them!!!. You have an internal digital power amplfier built in, and you can not bypass it!!! You can burn or cause serious damage to your Spires if you do it!... just use your Emotiva power amp as main amplifier and enjoy the worderful sound of ML. From the preamp out put of your Onkyo, front L & R go to your Emotiva inputs and you are done. Adjust the speaker's level at your Onkyo setup in speakers configution section. That's it! Enjoy and happy listening,
Roberto.

I don't know if "Biware!!!" was intentional or not Roberto, but that is pure gold wordsmithing! :)

Thanks for the answer about bi-amping the Spires. I thought it was something along that line. Can't wait to set these babies up :D

hahahaha...sometimes I got some things right!...Biware...bi-wire, beware:ROFL:...happy listening,
R.:rocker::music:

Latest posts

Back