Any advantage of Biwiring Vantage speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papageno

Reaction score
Wondering whether anybody has noticed improvement in sound quality in bi-wiring the Vantages. use a Rotel 200w/pc to drive them. Dealer says definite advantage but haven't done a A/B comparison yet.

I have my vantage bi-wired and I think it does sound better than my previous configuration. The only problem is that my previous speaker cables were generic 10 gauge speaker cable and now I upgraded to the Signal Cable Ultra bi-wires with spade contacts. A better test would have been using the same cable except one bi-wire and one standard configuration. I definitely think that the upgrade was well worth it but difficult to say how much was the bi-wire change vs the actual cable change. In the bottom left hand corner of the attached picture you can see the old cables still going to my surround speakers in my home theater and it's nothing like the Signal Cable wires. You can check more pictures on the link below if interested.

87761.jpg

Wow that is impressive

I have my vantage bi-wired and I think it does sound better than my previous configuration. The only problem is that my previous speaker cables were generic 10 gauge speaker cable and now I upgraded to the Signal Cable Ultra bi-wires with spade contacts. A better test would have been using the same cable except one bi-wire and one standard configuration. I definitely think that the upgrade was well worth it but difficult to say how much was the bi-wire change vs the actual cable change. In the bottom left hand corner of the attached picture you can see the old cables still going to my surround speakers in my home theater and it's nothing like the Signal Cable wires. You can check more pictures on the link below if interested.

87761.jpg

Wow that is impressive. Curious where did you get the feet for the vantages?

I actually bought the Vantages from somebody and he had the upgraded feet and power cords. It was a nice little "throw-in bonus" to seal the deal. The cables I bought separately.

while I utilize the same speaker cables as you do my rationale was for the purpose of eliminating the poor quality jumpers that come with M/L's, myself, I hold little value to bi-wiring.

Last edited:
while I utilize the same speaker cables as you do my rationale was for the purpose of eminating the poor quality jumpers that come with M/L's, myself, I hold little value to bi-wiring.

That's also a good point. It would probably be cheaper to get some jumpers and use a single wire then the extra cost of bi-wire cables (although this depends on the specific cable and length).

Have about 10-12 feet of speaker cable

That's also a good point. It would probably be cheaper to get some jumpers and use a single wire then the extra cost of bi-wire cables (although this depends on the specific cable and length).

Thanks,
My speaker cable is about 10-12 feet on both sides (runs through the wall and hence the length). Don't know whether bi-wiring is recommended for longer speaker cable length.

Thanks,
My speaker cable is about 10-12 feet on both sides (runs through the wall and hence the length). Don't know whether bi-wiring is recommended for longer speaker cable length.

That's a good question. I've never heard of anybody recommending bi-wire specifically for long stretches specifically (but that doesn't mean it wouldn't,... maybe somebody with more experience on the matter can chime in). Obviously for long stretches you don't want a very thin wire, but since this is an audiophile site, I'm sure your not using some cheap walmart 18 gauge wire. Also, if you are planning on going "in wall", you may be limited by the size of the wires themselves, especially if your doing bi-wire. My cables are probably around 3/4" diameter and of course the thicker the cable the less bend/give it has so going around corners and such becomes a problem. Did you run some conduit tubing through the wall so you can push a bigger cable through if you need to?

Last edited:
Some people like using a cable they like for the Hi's and another for the low's in bi-wiring. I have even heard some folks mix cable configurations. :guiness:

Some people like using a cable they like for the Hi's and another for the low's in bi-wiring. I have even heard some folks mix cable configurations. :guiness:

Wow, that actually sounds cool. I think that would be more important if your bi-amping vs simply bi-wiring. I don't think I could get myself to spend the money for buying a 2nd set of cables for simple experimentation but it does sound interesting.

Just for the goof try various inexpensive cables of various gauge & config and just play around, thats what I did then you wind up with boxes of cables its Fun....:rocker:

Just for the goof try various inexpensive cables of various gauge & config and just play around, thats what I did then you wind up with boxes of cables its Fun....:rocker:

It would be fun. The only thing is that he says he needs 12 ft long cables. So unless he is going to just try different generic cable (ie just altering gauge) he probably would have to spend a ridiculous amount of money as 12 ft biwires will cost you hundreds, even with relatively inexpensive brands. But sure would be fun!

That's a good question. I've never heard of anybody recommending bi-wire specifically for long stretches specifically (but that doesn't mean it wouldn't,... maybe somebody with more experience on the matter can chime in). Obviously for long stretches you don't want a very thin wire, but since this is an audiophile site, I'm sure your not using some cheap walmart 18 gauge wire. Also, if you are planning on going "in wall", you may be limited by the size of the wires themselves, especially if your doing bi-wire. My cables are probably around 3/4" diameter and of course the thicker the cable the less bend/give it has so going around corners and such becomes a problem. Did you run some conduit tubing through the wall so you can push a bigger cable through if you need to?

Currently using Transparent in wall cable at 10AWG, no conduits but for Biwiring, realize that I have to. Sounds like, Getting better jumper clips may be a easier place to start

Currently using Transparent in wall cable at 10AWG, no conduits but for Biwiring, realize that I have to. Sounds like, Getting better jumper clips may be a easier place to start

It would definitely be the easiest and cheapest way to start. If you do decide to rewire you may want to buy some conduit. When I was building my home theater room I found some 1 inch plastic semi-rigid flexible tubing at home depot on a spool. You could cut this and attach it you speaker wire and try to pull it through. If you have enough clearance you may be able to do that and then in the future it would make it much easier to rewire.

Back