Another subwoofer question ( not again!!!)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel

Reaction score
Hi,
First, regarding subwoofer x-over: my vantages go to 34hz. My passage go to 45hz.

In my mind I should set the x-over to 55hz. Am I correct?

Second, my processor can manage distance and delay ( automatic). If I put the sub on the back wall, should I bother with phase? If so, is it according with the vantage ( front) or the passage (back)?

Thanks.

p.s. Merry Christmas.

Daniel:

I would set my sub xover a little higher, say 65-70Hz. In this case, the mains get a break from producing the lows at high SPL levels which the subwoofers are made for.

yes, you'll need to phase align your sub with the front mains. Most bass in movies and music is placed in the front mains and not in the surround.

Hope this helps. In my case with the Spires that go down to 30Hz, i set my xover sub to 70hz for movies. I disable it for music, but that's a personal choice as you don;t have to do so.

- David

I've started with 70, then tried 60 and finally end up with 50 which is the best setting. didn't have to ajust phase. My classe processor handles it.

Today, I will change my sub placement just to experiment. One close to the left wall, close to the listening seat. Finally, I will try on the back wall. In those case I will have to set phase to 90 and 180 respectively. I'll report on this later.

I've started with 70, then tried 60 and finally end up with 50 which is the best setting. didn't have to ajust phase. My classe processor handles it.

Today, I will change my sub placement just to experiment. One close to the left wall, close to the listening seat. Finally, I will try on the back wall. In those case I will have to set phase to 90 and 180 respectively. I'll report on this later.
Since your Classe measures and sets the distance/delay for the sub, you *shouldn't* need to change sub phase from zero. By all means try various settings, but I'd be surprised of 0 phase didn't give you the best, most cohesive bass.

How do you like the EQ on the Classe?

Since your Classe measures and sets the distance/delay for the sub, you *shouldn't* need to change sub phase from zero. By all means try various settings, but I'd be surprised of 0 phase didn't give you the best, most cohesive bass.

How do you like the EQ on the Classe?

with the sub next to the Vantages, the phase is left to zaro. However, if I put the sub to the other side of the room ( to experiment, nothing else), the sub will, in my mind have to be set at 180 degrees. If it doesn't work, I will set it back to zero.

I love my classe processor. It's so easy to use.

Hello everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread but I'm slightly confused on setting up my sub.

From what I understand I should have all my speakers set to small to send the bass to the sub. The crossover in my Yamaha RX-V1900 has a global crossover setting that effects all the speakers. I currently have it set for 80hz. There is no LPF option from what I can tell in the menu.

While looking on this site I came across the ML videos section. Martin Logan says set the front speakers to large and set the subwoofer to 70% of the lowest capable frequency that my speakers can do. I have the ML Purity and those go to 40hz. So according to ML i should be set at 28hz or so. According to everything I've read I should set it slightly above that 40hz for proper roll off. Here is another place I'm confused on. If the crossover in the receiver is set to 80hz and I have the knob on the back of the sub at either 28hz or lets say 43hz arent I missing some sound up til 80hz.

Some additional information:
My receiver is set for LFE/Bass Out for Sub
I listen to my music 100% of the time in Pure Direct
I have a sub cable and interconnects running from the preouts on the receiver to the sub.

Please advise

Thanks everyone.

majin, near as I can tell from a brief perusal of Yamaha's version of "Pure Direct", it sends 2.0 only i.e. your subwoofer receives no signal and you're listening to music via the L/R mains only. Is this what you want to do?

For movies, your AVR is handling the mains/sub crossover, so you want to set the low-pass filter on the sub to its maximum frequency, not 28Hz. That advice from ML is intended only for non-AVR, no-processing 2 channel-only systems, where no crossover exists.

Thats true that in pure direct that it only sends a 2.0 signal. But while in pure direct the preouts on the receiver send a signal to the sub. Which is why I was wondering on what position to set the LPF on the back of the sub. Should it be 80hz since the crossover in the receiver is set to 80 hz or lower to be slightly above the lowest my speakers can do?

In terms of movies the LPF on the back of the sub does nothing right? Since the LPF is handled by the receiver. But I do not see a option to set the LFP in the reciever.

Thats true that in pure direct that it only sends a 2.0 signal. But while in pure direct the preouts on the receiver send a signal to the sub. Which is why I was wondering on what position to set the LPF on the back of the sub. Should it be 80hz since the crossover in the receiver is set to 80 hz or lower to be slightly above the lowest my speakers can do?
Depends. In Yamaha's version of Pure Direct, is the AVR's crossover enabled? I suspect it is not, since the DSP should be disabled.

In terms of movies the LPF on the back of the sub does nothing right? Since the LPF is handled by the receiver. But I do not see a option to set the LFP in the reciever.
The LPF on the sub is always functional, regardless of what other filtering is imposed by the AVR. That's why you want the subs LPF set at its highest setting so that the AVR can handle the crossover, which is a combination of LPF for subs and HPF for mains - both at the same frequency. There's no separate LPF setting for the subs because the crossover is the LPF.

Ok so just to clarify,

Since my global crossover in my receiver is at 80hz for all speakers set to small (which is want I want even though martin logan says otherwise in the video?)
For music in pure direct on my yamaha I still am supposed to have the lpf on the back of my sub set to maximum? And the same for movies?

@majim, what sub do you have?
On my dynamo 700, If I use the LFE, the x-over is bypassed.

Ok so just to clarify,

Since my global crossover in my receiver is at 80hz for all speakers set to small (which is want I want even though martin logan says otherwise in the video?)
Yes. When the AVR crossover @80Hz is active, you want the sub's LP set to max.
For music in pure direct on my yamaha I still am supposed to have the lpf on the back of my sub set to maximum? And the same for movies?
If the crossover is still operating in Pure Direct, yes, but my read of a couple of AVS threads on this Yamaha would indicate that the crossover is not working in PD. You may want to try "Stereo" or "Straight" modes in stead of Pure Direct. See this thread.

Back