And the next hi-rez music format is . . .

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what exactly are the specs of this high-res audio format? 24/192 PCM I'm guessing?

Is there going to be any video on the disc as well?

More importantly, do you NEED video to listen to the disc? Or will we be able to buy audio-only Blu-ray players like the Ayre C5-xe?

Shame it is not going to be DSD (with a bitrate increased by a factor of 10 over SACD).

Anyway - since joining the secret Squeezebox club it would take something very special to make me go back to a physical format!!

Last edited:
It will be very good quality audio.

I understand Bluray profile 2.3 or 3.0 will have 'audio only' modes, which means one can pop in the disc, and it will just start playing the audio tracks (format selection is user config item done in player setup).

The resolutions available on BluRay are pretty awesome:

- Stereo Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 Linear PCM 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 Dolby True HD 24 BIT / 192 kHz
- MCH 5.1 DD 48kHz

With most recordings likely to be PCM or TrueHD at 24/96 or 24/192.

I just received a Grieg Piano Concerto (Acoustic reality Experience) in Blue Ray, with an audio track encoded in 24/192 DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless compression).

So the audio discs are not just coming, they are here. :rocker:

Last edited:
So does this mean I need to wait to purchase a BR player as we're only at 2.0 now?

Unbelievable, isn't it. Our once great industry is getting like the IT industry.

"Give 'em a half-hearted attempt",

"add an extra feature that will make people need to upgrade,

"give 'em a better attempt",

"give 'em all the functions that should have been there in the first place",

then

"give 'em a stable version after testing that should have been done in the first place"

Why sell a BD player (or any product for that matter) once when you can sell it five times!! Sick world in which we live.....

So does this mean I need to wait to purchase a BR player as we're only at 2.0 now?

Unfortunately, if you want the 'insert disc, have it play like a CD' then yes, a profile 3.x player will be required. :(

However, any BR profile player will play these discs, it's just that you will need to navigate menus on your TV to get the music going (or do what i do for DVD-A's, and that's put a post-it on the inside with the key sequences to get it going).

Nice how the less mature format ‘won’ the war :mad:

(or do what i do for DVD-A's, and that's put a post-it on the inside with the key sequences to get it going).

Can't you play DVD-As by pressing "PLAY" instead of "OPEN/CLOSE" when you insert the disc. That all I need to do on my Marantz........:confused:

Can't you play DVD-As by pressing "PLAY" instead of "OPEN/CLOSE" when you insert the disc. That all I need to do on my Marantz........:confused:

That depends on the disc AND the player.

On my denon 2900, the Porcupine Tree discs require an extra 'play' button hit once the player reaches the disc menu.
Other albums play with just one press on disc insert.

I just got a Denon 2930ci, so we'll see if that changes with the newer model.

Supposedly, BR profile 3 will allow a single button, blind navigation model (next / prev track, pause, play) just like a CD player.

Supposedly, BR profile 3 will allow a single button, blind navigation model (next / prev track, pause, play) just like a CD player.

Wouldn't you think this would be a feature that could be upgraded via firmware? I consider it almost criminal if these manufacturers released an incomplete spec without the ability to upgrade to the full spec via firmware when they had full knowledge these improvements were on the way when they designed these players.

Just another example of our disposable society that we let them get away with this sort of crap. I hate to say it, but tech companies are really making early adopters look like fools. "Please pay us exorbitant amounts of money for an incomplete product that may or may not be upgradable and just might be obsolete in a year. For this privilege, you can own the latest and greatest gadget . . . at least for a few months until we come out with a better, cheaper one."

This is one more reason I waited to get any high def player at all until the "war" was pretty well sorted out and specs were up to snuff. The PS3 will hold me over quite well until things are sorted out and they start coming out with some full-featured, reasonably-priced high end BR players. I'm just not playing the early adopter game anymore (unless, of course, it is a gadget I absolutely must have, like my beloved iPhone).

Latest posts

Back