Analog Interconnect Advice?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPrometheus

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using BJC LC-1 analog interconnects, but I recently discovered remarkable sonic improvement with the much more expensive AudioQuest King Cobra analog interconnect -- it was more accurate across the entire frequency spectrum, the bass was tighter, and I was actually hearing a greater range of bass notes. Needless to say, I've been bitten, but I really want to find that kind of quality at more of a bargain price.

Can anyone recommend an analog interconnect that is as good or better than the AudioQuest King Cobra at more of a bargain price?

I only need a 2 ft (.75m) run between my pre-amp/processor and amplifier. However, I also need a 20 ft (6-7m) run from my pre-amp/processor to my subwoofer.

Thank you!

For long unbalanced analog interconnects, the BJC LC-1 is one of the very best choices available. On the test bench the AQ King Cobras would look like a toy in comparison.

King Cobra :))

Hello,

i had a similar experience. Some months ago, I decided to give the AQ King Cobra a try and I was really surprised. Compared with some other more expensive interconnects as Van den Huls or OSH, the King Cobra revealed a lot more details. Always keeps its warm and smooth character even on very high levels. I think, you'll find no better interconnect in this price range. Therefore I completely replaced all interconnetcs with the Cobras. Also ordered a Rocket 88 single wired Speaker Cable. Very remarkable, too.

Br
Johann

For long unbalanced analog interconnects, the BJC LC-1 is one of the very best choices available. On the test bench the AQ King Cobras would look like a toy in comparison.

Could you please clarify: what do you mean by "On the test bench the AQ King Cobras would look like a toy in comparison [to the BJC LC-1s]."

For instance, this would seem to imply that you have some empirical data that is informing your conclusion. Or are you just expressing your opinion?

I'm very interested to read your response.

Thank you!

I love MIT for all my cable needs from speaker wire to IC's. Wireworld is another good choice or the Nordost blue heaven are just great for HT but no so much for warmth in music. Both WW and Nordost are both flat cable designs but if you buy used Nordost make sure they dont have a single kink in them as most people tend to sell them when that happens

Bill Whitlock compared as somewhat poorer co-ax (than the AQ K C) to Belden #8241F in his 2005
UNDERSTANDING, FINDING, & ELIMINATING GROUND LOOPS IN AUDIO & VIDEO SYSTEMS
paper. http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/generic seminar.pdf

Consider a 25-foot interconnect cable with foil shield and a #26 AWG drain wire. From standard
wire tables (or actual measurement) its shield resistance is found to be 1.0 Ohm. The resistance of
the inner conductor is insignificant and is not discussed here. If the leakage current is 316 uA, the
noise voltage will be 316 uV. Since the -10 dBV reference level for consumer audio is 316 mV,
the noise will be only 20 x log (316uV ÷ 316 mV) = -60 dB relative to the signal. For most
systems, this is a very poor signal-to-noise ratio. Replacing the cable with Belden #8241F, for
example, would reduce shield resistance to 0.065 Ohm and reduce noise by about 24 dB!

It appears to me that balanced AudioQuest King Cobra is even a poorer choice for XLR interconnects.

I run pure silver DiY interconnects. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, but not nearly as expensive as average quality AQ, MIT etc...

I like silver much better than copper. It just sounds right in my rig.

Straight Wire Rhapsody S fits pretty well in my system, I also use Cardas Crosslink between my phono stage and preamp with very good results.
It always depends on your actual equipment so it´s mandatory to try the cables at home before spending the money!
You might want to give Wireworlds Oasis 6 a try with you woofer, pretty nice cable and below 200$ for the 6m run...

A long time ago, Bruno Putzeys wrote on how to make good DIY unbalanced analog interconnects:

There's one well known (and usually ignored) effect in unbalanced connections, which is that the same conductor that connects the chassis also serves as reference to the signal. In a normal cable, these are 100% coupled, which means that the part of the chassis error voltage that drops across the inductive part of the cable impedance (end-to-end impedance of the shield) will couple into the conductor and be compensated 100% (Yes! Unbalanced connections have got CMRR in some way). However, lower frequencies will cause more voltage drop across the resistive component of the shield, and this appears as an error voltage at the receiving end. Take a coaxial cable, take the jacket (sheath) off and dress it in a number of extra layers of shield salvaged from other cables. Hear the sound improve... This addresses the same problem as "mains conditioners" but it does so much more effectively.

A long time ago, Bruno Putzeys wrote on how to make good DIY unbalanced analog interconnects:

There's one well known (and usually ignored) effect in unbalanced connections, which is that the same conductor that connects the chassis also serves as reference to the signal. In a normal cable, these are 100% coupled, which means that the part of the chassis error voltage that drops across the inductive part of the cable impedance (end-to-end impedance of the shield) will couple into the conductor and be compensated 100% (Yes! Unbalanced connections have got CMRR in some way). However, lower frequencies will cause more voltage drop across the resistive component of the shield, and this appears as an error voltage at the receiving end. Take a coaxial cable, take the jacket (sheath) off and dress it in a number of extra layers of shield salvaged from other cables. Hear the sound improve... This addresses the same problem as "mains conditioners" but it does so much more effectively.

If PSU is in the same chassis as premap or amp the chassis is grounded/shielded to main power ground and has noting to do with signal ground. In this scenario RCA ground is isolated from chassis. 99% audio equipment has PSU is the same chassis.

If an unbalanced analog interconnect is not connected to the chassis at it's chassis jack, it has that dreaded old "pin #1 problem".

I used Audioquest for approx 10 years then moved to JPS Aluminata which works well with Esls but saying that I have not used Audioquest in the last 10 years so may be a different cable all together now-days.

Back