An Evening at DaVinci Media listening to the CLX and Spires.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
I had to come to Milwaukee for work yesterday so I called Davinci Media figuring I would stop in for a listen. I talked to Shawn and we arranged a time. After zig zagging my way through the maze in Milwaukee I finally arrived. They have a nice set up that is a renovated condo. It has a nice size main room where the CLX and Spires can be set up. (Its where I did all my listening). Davinci is a Mark Levinson , McIntosh , Lexicon , Revel dealer to name a few. Shawn and Justin run the place. I chatted briefly with Shawn while he put in a old but wonderful Bruce Springsteen LP that was sounding Great through the CLX. Shawn had to leave for the night but instructed me to stay as long as I wanted I was in good hands with Justin. At the Air port I burnt a quick demo disc that was mostly Kaki King doing acoustic guitar. ( I have been hooked on her since I seen August Rush), It also had a few other familiar demos that are recognizable and make a good demo. I started out with the CLX to get a good fresh ear of Kaki King and her finger work. They were run with the big Mac Mono blocks that seem to be a thing with the CLX. The preamp and CD player where Mark Levinson. There was a decentI sub hooked up at 25HZ setting I was told. On the CLX it was powerful and detailed. The area that the CLX cover they cover better as good as it gets. They were outstanding. (I knew they would , Its not why I went there). Now the real reason I went there is the Spires. How do they sound ? In a nut shell GOOD. They wee hooked up to the same electronics and located a tad off but in the same room. I played the same demo disc and had a good earfull. They are tremendously detailed and very sweet. They have a stage that was deeper than the CLX in that room. (The CLX can fill a 40x60 room if need be). They are a very detailed orientated speaker. As for the comparison to the Summit. I think the Spires are smoother and seem to have blacker background. (It reminded me of my CLS) They had a width to them that was much larger than they seem. There is definitely a different sound to them compared to the Summit. Not better just different. I would say refined. Overall I could live with them in a heart beat as they are so damn cute not being that big. The bass area was hard to judge as the Decent was on. What it seemed like was good integration of it as it was not locatable. Overall I would like to thank Shawn and Justin for a great evening. If your ever in the Milwaukee are do not hesitate to stop by DaVinci Media they have a great selection and great set up. Both are very knowledgeable and are willing to help.

Thanks Guys !

Here are a few pics . Sorry they are phone camera!

Attachments

• img119 (Small).jpg
    img119 (Small).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 563
  • img116 (Small).jpg
    img116 (Small).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 563
  • img122 (Small).jpg
    img122 (Small).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 562
  • img121 (Small).jpg
    img121 (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 564
To bad you didn't give any notice or else I would have went down there to meet you. I installed a few ML/home theater systems with Shawn and Justin back in college. Shawn and I also installed the floating acoustic panels / automatic blinds in the main listing area (which I think looks sweet in that room). My last experience with the CLX at Davinci was with the Mark Levinson you see in the back of the picture; so I can only imagine what the Mac gear sounded like. Glad to hear you had a good time!

sounds like fun its nice to here you found a freindly dealer also looks like a comfortable experiance unlike what you find at the chain stores maybe I will have to stop by and make my next purchase there. you said it is a renovated condo do they have neibors? how do they get away with all that noise ( not to call the sound that comes from a clx noise ) or do you guys just keep it reasonable.

Ya, you should pick up a Decent i before the price hike sets in. Not sure about the neighboors, but it is a corner condo and none of the main listening area share walls with the people next door.

since they have the spires maybe I could A B some amps over there for upgrading my rotel I would like to here them in person on the speakers I have before spending so much

No turn table for me. Its not in my future plans. :eek:

With the new Levinson CD player and pre amp it gave me a sense as to how good the Krell KPS25sc actually is. :D

If any one is in doubt about the Spires don't. They are as good as a Hybrid as the Summit. They both have tiny differences that may appeal to each person.

sounds like fun its nice to here you found a freindly dealer also looks like a comfortable experiance unlike what you find at the chain stores maybe I will have to stop by and make my next purchase there.

Fishman,
I purchased my Summits from Shawn, and it was a pleasure doing business with him. I got a smoking deal and the transaction was quick and efficient.

Very Cool Place, I didn't listen to any of the set ups because I was just there to pick up the Summits.

If you decide to head up there PM me, I've yet to hear the CLX.

Thanks for the visit and kind words CAP.

Thank you so much for coming out and letting everyone know you had a good time at our place. Its always good to host a true Martin Logan fan at DaVinci! I am glad you thought so highly of the Spire. I think that for the $ you won’t find a better new speaker.

As for Fishmans question about the neighbors......
It’s really not a problem. The bottom floor of the building is 2 restaurants, and I never hear a peep from them or them from me. We are in a 100+ year old building right downtown Milwaukee and its built like a tank. Cement between each floor does a lot to kill sound transmission.

As always, just give us a call and we can set up a time for anyone to take a listen.

Thanks again for visiting CAP, hope to see you again soon.

Take care,

Shawn

What brand of stand is that in the 2nd to last photo (right above the turntable)? I have old Sanus stands that are in desperate need of upgrading.

Elaborate please

Hi Chris,

Kudos for a great report. Request for you mon ami.

You stated that the Spire had a "smoother" sound than the Summit.

When you had previously heard the Summit, same room and equipment?

If you can, can you please elaborate on the differences between the Spire and Summit.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

OK , I did not hear the Summits at DaVinci . I heard them at Audio Perfection in MN.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6291&highlight=a+day+to+remember

With out being in the same room same equipment I could not give you an exact comparison but I do have an ear for the differences in sound as I have heard the lot of ML sound.

That being said the Summits are a world class design that plays wide and detailed with a great sound, They are as seamless in the woofer to panel as it gets. They have a bit more thump than the Spires but the Spires have that magical air to them like my CLS. They threw what seemed like a deeper soundstage with a dead center image that was even better in that room than the CLX. (Having heard the CLX in a giant room in Seattle they can do the same with even better image) The Spire are a bit smaller in footprint than the Summits but you really do not notice as the panels are identical. They have a sweeter midrange and it seemed like they where a bit more detailed with tighter imaging. I think the panel just matches with the single 10 inch woofer and the new X over better.

Now, could it have been the room , or the Solid state pre amp and CD player ? YOU BET ! Having said that I can tell you that the Spires would be my first choice of Hybrid design if I was buying new. The Summits would be my first choice if buying used.

Make no mistake about it ML came out with the Spire with the trickle down X over technology from the CLX and didn't plan on it sounding so well. I think it was not a planed deal to have the Summit discontinued . It was so good that they knew the Summit sales where doomed . So rather watch it sink and loose brand image , they discontinued it. Now they are in a pickle as to what to do! Make a Summit X and charge $14 to $16 grand or let them have the CLX at $20k, Or release a Spire improvement and raise the price in a year.

It had nothing to do with the Summits performance but it did with the $ to value performance.

Its Lovan. Give us a call and we may be able to set you up.
Looks like it has glass shelves. A YBA dealer told me that YBA specifically states that you should not use their CDP on a glass shelf, and I also saw a classified ad where a guy was selling a stand that had glass shelves as the component manufacturer stated that glass should not be used. This is all hearsay, of course; I did not hear it directly from the component manufacturers. Care to comment ?

Back