AMPs for ESLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendsley

Reaction score
I currently have two of the Martin Logan EM ESL for my two front speakers and then a EM C2 for the center. I don't have surrounds as of yet, but should get some in the next year or so. Anyway, I've been looking at getting an AMP as of late and have heard good things about the Emotiva line.

What I'm curious about is whether to get something like the XPA-3 (200W x 3) or XPA-2 (300W x 2) and then a XPA-100 for the center (250W x 1). It doesn't really matter to me if I get the one for all three speakers or two amps for the three speakers. Martin Logan's website says that for the two ESL speakers, they recommend 20-300 watts per channel on the amp and then 20-250 watts per channel on the C2.

Just not sure where to go here, and need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I have looked through this site and avsforum for advice before posting. Haven't really seen a lot of the emotiva on the EM ESLs.

Last edited:
I think you could go either way and be fine. The second way will just give you a little more headroom when you are driving them hard.

Will a more powerful amp only provide more headroom or will it also help with the dynamics / clarity?

Will a more powerful amp only provide more headroom or will it also help with the dynamics / clarity?

More powerful amp WILL NOT limit dynamics of recordings but clarity is rather a matter of quality amp design. Just my 2c.

I ended up buying two amps, one for the two fronts and one for the center channel. I figured as long as they're on sale right now, I might as well. Not too sure though how the wife is going to react when these show up at the front door and I tell her they're going next to the entertainment center.

I ended up buying two amps, one for the two fronts and one for the center channel. I figured as long as they're on sale right now, I might as well. Not too sure though how the wife is going to react when these show up at the front door and I tell her they're going next to the entertainment center.
Just beg forgiveness and tell her you won't do it again...........until the next time!

Please keep us updated when they arrive. I have an identical setup to yours and would be interested in hearing your benefits from the amps!

Back