Amplifier thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
Well, we've seen threads like this in the past... You know the type -- what speakers are your favorites, what's the best CD player for under $2000, etc...

Today, we focus on amplifiers and associated technologies. Sooooo...

--If you had the means, what amplifier(s) would you buy for your 2-channel system ??

--Why ??

For me, I'd have to go with a pair of Jeff Rowland Model 301s. Mind you that I have never heard this set of amps, but I have heard a good number of JRDGs legacy products and they never fail to blow me right out of the water. I can't put my finger on the exact nature of these amps, but they are detailed, lively and very exciting to listen to. Stop your friggin' heart good.

Two brands that are simply out of the question for me is Audio Research and Mark Levinson. The ARs are accurate as hell, but BORING to listen to -- they don't emotionally move me at all. This applies to both their solid state and tube lines ( adds odd-sounding bass, even on their reference line). Mark Levinson amps also bore the living sh*t out of me... well, at least the ones that I've heard. Weird, huh ?

But back to the Rowlands... I'd settle for a 312 (the stereo version) since I'd be divorced right quick if I spent the kind of money the mono blocks cost. But I just really like the technical benefits and symetrical look of the mono blocks. I'm also a firm believer in maintaining the speaker wires as short as reasonably possible. So there you have it -- Jeff Rowland Model 301's

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Link: http://www.jeffrowland.com/M300.htm

~VDR

ps... AR makes top-flight pre-amps, so no disrespect intended !! LOL !!

Last edited:
Not looking for reviews. I want to hear about members' "dream amp(s)" and why they think that their particular amp deserves consideration by others.

~VDR

Not looking for reviews. I want to hear about members' "dream amp(s)" and why they think that their particular amp deserves consideration by others. ~VDR
I guess it's OK to dream, but of course it takes more than a 'dream amp' to create a heart-stopping system. Maybe review was a poor choice of words on my part, since the posts there are by our own members.

They're big, expensive and tubed of course and the Lamm ML3 Signature is one. The VTL Siegfried Reference Monos are another. Since this is clearly fantasy land for me, I'll have both.

My own admittedly heavy bias towards vintage gear causes me to lust for a pair of McIntosh Mi-200s. All-triode design using transmitter finals for the outputs, stable, rugged, and with upgrades to modern resistors & caps, really sweet sounding. Better yet, make my own with toroidal transformers and a dedicated audio front-end instead of the multi-app industrial front end.
That sucker would rock!:rocker:

I'm a big fan of ARC, so the 610T would do me fine. Bet they would drive the CLX just great (we are in pipedream territory here as I can afford neither).

VanDaRo - are you sure a 312 wouldn't do? Just in case you missed the HK Show pics I posted - and if you didn't, I have BIGGED IT UP A BIT for your viewing pleasure... whoever put their greasey mits on it when it is so obviously yours deserves a slap!

Can't agree with your ARC assertions, I am afraid. One of the most awesome amps I have ever heard was a V140 years and years ago... an SS/Tube hybrid. Just knockout good.

For an AWESOME amp I'd probably have it custom made, using WE212s, 8 per channel, single-ended with transformers the size of small cars:D Then re-mortagage to pay the electricity bill or get shot by brain-washed environmentalists!!

From production models, I'd have to have two - for SS an MF KW, for tubed a REF3, REF610 (edit - they're all 10s now...) fitted with E.A.T KT88s and a shed load of spares as the E.A.Ts sound ace, cost a fortune, but really don't last too long...

Attachments

• JR312.jpg
    JR312.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
The best amps I have ever heard:

Lamm ML3
Audio Research 610T
Lamm ML2.1

So I guess those are the amps I would have in fantasy land. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of ML2.1 but then I wised up.

I have Conrad Johsnon LP140s mono bloc and I believe I will use these for a very long time.

The Lamm ML3 are hands down the best amplifer I have ever heard but also the most expensive by a long shot.

I remember when the Audio Research Reference 600 came out. We got a pair at the shop and hooked them up to a set of Thiel 3.6. They ran in our front room for many weeks before someone bought them.

Sure, they were big and beautiful. But the sound just wasn't for me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I'm not a proponent of tubed amplifiers, but if I had my druthers there would be an Audio Research tube preamp in my rig today. To each his own, I suppose. ;)

Keep the good suggestions coming, fellas !!

~VDR

Last edited:
Hm the 312 didn't hack it... only a pair of 301s will do, obviously...

Actually, I have never heard the 610, so in all honesty I have NO IDEA what it sounds like.

The best tube amps I have heard have been 211 based (I know, I know...) SE affairs... the KT88/6550 is just no that good a valve in comparison, so it's hard to see how a 610 could beat the best 211 designs... so I retract my choice. Also, a 610 is just so obvious it is boring...

Also, I have never heard a kW... I just like the idea of them, though I did see a pair in Sound By Singer in NYC.

I am a bit stumped by the question, now I think about it, and am puzzled as to why I can't think of any real contenders... I can think of plenty of great amps I have heard... will think about it a bit longer and come back...

OK - I'm back. Sorry VanDaRo missed (possibly an edit) your 312 assertion above. I have been thinking what is the best I have heard that have stuck in my mind, and to be honest they aren't that expensive!

Border Patrol http://www.borderpatrol.net/amplifiers.htm driving Living Voice Auditors. Not a 211, but the 300B is an awesome valve too... this just had a walkthrough 3D quality and a really natural sound. Just basically, really, really enjoyable!

Love this quote from the BP website:

'....., I went back to my transistors. ....there was a congested quality, as though the system had picked up sinusitis.'
Paul Messenger Hi-Fi Choice Jan 98

Also, Chapter Audio class D Couplet http://www.chapteraudio.com/ is an awesome amp - though The Qube looks interesting...

The Couplet is a really clean enjoyable fresh & alive sounding amp and I have not heard another Class D amp that comes close. In fact, I have NEVER LIKED any other class D designs. That, for me, it what makes this amp all the more awesome. British gear at it's best.

Last edited:
The 312 certainly will cut it !! :guitarman:

Any idea what these are selling for ?

~VDR

Any idea what these are selling for ?
~VDR

Google sez: Chapter Preface preamp ($9500 US) and Chapter Couplet power amp ($12000 US). OK that's not cheap, but it isn't MASSIVELY expensive by high end standards. I think that's for the older original Couplet... the last I heard was the 200S.

Couplet 500M (Mono) - (525W RMS into 8 Ohms & 1050W peak into 4 Ohms) - very new & no idea of price. Has to be better than the Couplet?

The BP S20 i can't find a price for (didn't look too hard) but it's around £6000 ($12000 using exchange rate) over here if my memory is correct. That means it's probably a lot less stateside.

Last edited:
Gosh.. there are so many great amplifiers on the market today.. It would be SO very cool to be able to audition half a dozen or so in the same day or weekend using the same system.

I can only say that I'm very happy with my Pass X250, so I'd say that a pair of Pass X600.5 Monoblocks would be my first choice.

Last edited:
For me it would be one of two McIntosh amps, depending on what I'm planning to drive. 1st choice would be the tri-chassis MC2KW, simply amazing and my other choice would be the MC2301 tube monoblock. Both amps are stunning to my ears.

Gosh.. there are so many great amplifiers on the market today.. It would be SO very cool to be able to audition half a dozen or so in the same day or weekend using the same system.

I can only say that I'm very happy with my Pass X250, so I'd say that a pair of Pass X600.5 Monoblocks would be my first choice.

Tom,

I have owned the X600.5s and they were really good! But very hot! Literally heated up the room they sat in. In my humble opinion my Conrad Johnson Tube Mono Blocs are better. The CJ amps may lack in a little the lowend but I think they are better through the mids, and highs. Speakers disapper in the room better and a more live experience.

It is all personal preference but I owned both amps and it's just a quick observation. Pass Labs are very very good, I owned them exclusively for years.

-D

I don't ask for much...just an ARC Ref 110. I do like my Rowland (my fourth Rowland amp, BTW).

For 10k that is a fantastic amp. There may not be a better stereo amp for the money.

BTW...10K is A LOT OF MOOLA!

Latest posts

Back