Amp/power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Do you feel the Bryston 4B would have enough power to drive the Summits, I am thinking of going from a 7.1 system to a 5.1 due to room size restrictions. I am now using the 9b for the summits. thanks

Hi Khenegar,

You may not receive much input given the frequency of this type of post. By far the most asked question.

Absent any response, would advise you to use the "search" function. You may find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

GG

Not sure what the wattage is on the 4Bs, but I currently drive the Summits with a pair of original Bryston 6Bs and they have power to spare. You will find most on this forum oare not a fan of this combo, but I have always been pleased with Bryston/ML combo.

Last edited:
It's high current your after more so than high power. No knock against the Bryston, but there are more musical amps out there in the price range of the 4B. Plinius and BAT to name a few.

The 4B is rated at 250 watts per channel. That's more than enough power for the Summits. In the past I used the 4B-SST (300 watts per channel) with Prodigy's and I had power to spare. By the way I use bryston power on all 8 of my ML's. 28B-SST^2 on my CLX's for a WOW!, 7B-SST's on my Prodigy's etc and I find them to be a good match (esp the 28's).

Gary

mistake/bryston

I had my numbers turned around on the Brystons i should have asked if the 9B had enough power to drive the summits not the 4B. Sorry!

I had several Brystons. My last was an 4B SST-C. Must confirm: there are more musical amps out there. Powered my CLS /2/ 2z and Summits with them.

Athough, the Bryston have plenty of power to drive the Summits and they always sound clean, its too "aseptic" for my taste. Very low emotion.

If you tend for PA gear, try a Tannoy TA600. Sounds almost like a tube. Very warm but accurate, with a very pleasant "groove".

Br Johann

"No knock against the Bryston, but there are more musical amps out there in the price range of the 4B. Plinius and BAT to name a few."

Like I said.

The 9B's have somewhere between 125 and 150 watts. My Prodigy's are more difficult to drive than the summit's and for some time I powered them with a Proceed amp with 125 watts and it worked fine. The 9B will be fine. The only concern I would have might be from over heating if you were pushing heavy with all 5 channels in operation. Your 9B is a good amp, great value, and the Bryston warranty and service are surperb. Trust your ears and enjoy.

Back