Amp Power Requirements at Idle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed Jerry....gotta be a typo !!

Hi twich54,
No typo,Aircon does whole house,each room a zone,theatre room is a zone is always on except midnight to 6am,other rooms rarely on max 2 zones,at once theatre room gets 70% to 100% of air flow system is computer controled 4 day changes,each zone etc carrier top of the line in oz.
When all amps are on I turn off other zones but it copes easily,regards victor

Hi twich54,
No typo,Aircon does whole house,each room a zone,theatre room is a zone is always on except midnight to 6am,other rooms rarely on max 2 zones,at once theatre room gets 70% to 100% of air flow system is computer controled 4 day changes,each zone etc carrier top of the line in oz.
When all amps are on I turn off other zones but it copes easily,regards victor

Hi Vic, sounds like your setup might be a candidate for a mini-split system just for that room.

I have a large multi-zone central AC that was burning up the KWH, so I got a dedicated, variable-speed compressor solution that's been perfect for the past year or so. See this story (and others experiences as well).

Vik, not trying to be a smart-ass but again....gotta be a typo ???, hell what do I know......I just can't see any 'room' requiring 20kw of juice !....You live in Sydney not the Sahara !

Regardless, glad it's your electric bill and not mine !

Last edited:
Im getting warm

Vik, not trying to be a smart-ass but again....gotta be a typo ???, hell what do I know......I just can't see any 'room' requiring 20kw of juice !....You live in Sydney not the Sahara !

Regardless, glad it's your electric bill and not mine !

Hi twich54 and JonFo,
It,s cool,just running tube amps they put out huge amount heat 4 fans and 80kg each highest bias (class A 250) 600watt tube with the exception atma-sphere Ma 3 $125k
Audio research ref 600mkIII,31 tubes,20 6550c each mono produce a lot of heat raise temp 15c above normal room temp in 15mins.http://www.audioresearch.com/ref600.html
I set temp of 25c in winter and summer to cool, if I set at 23c will not turn off blown compressor once already and didn,t have ref600 then,cost 5k Australian to replace.Sydney in summer is 33c to 36c with few days over 40 centigrade.
When 4 amps are on etc without aircon on room would be to hot,tube amps safe to 49 centigrade room temp everything else would fail including people.
Whats funny is if over 41c outside temp,computer puts aircon into safe mode all zones set 28c and can,t overide to protect compressor its happened twice before,my system does use lots of power but with music its really magical,regards victor.

Last edited:
Back